Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a question do dealerships leave bikes on the floor with no liquids and a dead battery? I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2012 vulcan 900 with no miles i would be the first owner. It has sat at this dealership for 1 year.....should i be concerned about the oil sitting in it and all the other liquids or do dealers replace all that prior to sell and release to owner? Or would that be something i request? I mean regardless if oil is not being used oil that sits for awhile like gas will start to eat away at stuff...or thicken for that matter.....should that be something I ask about? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought a new 2010 custom in 2012 and I have 15000km on it no problem at all!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
In 2012 I purchased a brand new 08 V2K, In those 2 years I put over 9K on the bike. Personally I would not worry about 1.5 year old vehicle. I mean you are gonna be putting 600 miles for brake-in, then change the oil. You will be ok. Oh BTW the bike showed 0 on the odometer and 0.2 on the trip meter when I got it. So it was only driven after it was set up.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I bought an "old stock" 2010 VN900 classic last year. It was on the floor but they said it did not have fluids in it yet. I didn't ask which fluids. Took the dealer a couple hours to prep it including charging the battery to a level for me to ride it home. I have not had any problems with it at all. Have just over 5000 miles on it and it runs great.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
With every used bike I've bought from a dealer, I've had them change all of the fluids for me. No oil change, no sale.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Left over bikes

Have a question do dealerships leave bikes on the floor with no liquids and a dead battery? I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2012 vulcan 900 with no miles i would be the first owner. It has sat at this dealership for 1 year.....should i be concerned about the oil sitting in it and all the other liquids or do dealers replace all that prior to sell and release to owner? Or would that be something i request? I mean regardless if oil is not being used oil that sits for awhile like gas will start to eat away at stuff...or thicken for that matter.....should that be something I ask about? Thanks in advance
Make the dealer put a new battery in it I have purchased two bike in the past that were left overs and both had battery problems.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I bought my zx10 brand new they did delivery prep which was add fluids and rode it around the block for 4-5 miles. The only fluid I didnt notice them do was brake fluid I believe that was already in there.

If I were you I would ask for all new fluids and a new battery.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Hey,, ask all you want, then if they say NO WAY,, then simply get yourself a service manual and do it yourself. Only issue would be the oil anyway, and that is like 20.00 dollars. The biggest issue is the battery. But it 'should' be under some type of new warranty anyway. My concern would be a flat spot on the tires..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey,, ask all you want, then if they say NO WAY,, then simply get yourself a service manual and do it yourself. Only issue would be the oil anyway, and that is like 20.00 dollars. The biggest issue is the battery. But it 'should' be under some type of new warranty anyway. My concern would be a flat spot on the tires..
I agree...if the oil isn't changed run it for a couple hundred miles and change it anyway. An early oil change is always good. There is a difference between fresh oil sitting in a new motor for a while and used oil sitting in a motor for a while. These bikes are bullet proof anyway and just know you need to keep an eye on all your fluids regularly. If the battery fails early it will be warranty and if it lasts only a few years you get to buy a new high quality battery and it will be good for a long time...no big deal if the price of the bike is right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just picked up a left over from 2011 900 custom for less than $6k with zero miles on it. No problems what so ever and I am just about to the first service mark.

If it is a good dealership they will go over the bike making sure it is road ready to include a new battery if needed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is it a Classic or a Custom blackriot...either way thats a lot of motorcycle for that money? For that price you can ride it for 5 years and light it on fire and you still got your moneys worth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its a custom 0 miles sells guy said i would receive it with like 3-4miles cause they would test ride it to make sure everything is in working order

1 - 20 of 23 Posts