Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, my name is Brad. Like others I have seen here - old guy - rode as a kid - second childhood - new bike - lots of questions.

I am signed up for a 4 day training class - but it's not till August. I'm riding but not getting too wild and watching where I go.

This site looks like a nice place and it's full of info and I need a lot of that.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=446

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hey Brad, Brad here (yea, another Brad, so what gives with that, ya??)

Curious what you think what you learned up to MSF and after that, bet night and day. Welcome to the group, sir......

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Welcome aboard Brad!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Nice bike Brad and welcome. That Pearl/ Titanium combo sure has a classic look!....Ahem.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice bike. Hope she serves you well. Since you are signed up for the riders course, I recommend going ahead and practicing really low speed tight turns like you would have to make in a parking lot. The class I took had us making a semi-figure 8 in an area about the size of 2 parking spaces. It was a square painted on the pavement and you couldn't go out side the square or put your feet down. On the 250 loaner that I was using it wasn't to bad. But there was an older guy there with a big Harley that almost didn't pass. This was the hardest part for me even when compared to stopping and starting without putting your feet down or the last day when we had to do the final test in the rain. All in all, the class was really worth it and of course the insurance discount it nice too.

RIDE SAFE!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice ride Brad, I agree with Pirate ,practice the slow tight turns they seem the hardest (at least for me) to master. Also right and left turns from a stop. Almost anyone can ride in a straight line.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The best advice I could give you is to get out and ride. Put on as many miles as possible and you'll get a good feel for the bike. Tell the wife we said so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys - 300 miles and lots of turns, left and right - short and tight. I am having a ball with my new ride. I have been working hard too. Big parking lot - large soda bottles for cones. I have graduated to riding in traffic, some highway riding and plain old running errands.

I have added a crash bar and some new grips. The thing I noticed about bikes is that you can buy one that looks like the one 1000 people have. But you can change it around and it's yours.

The best advice I have gotten so far - "ride like everyone else on the road is stupid."

·
Registered
260 Posts
S.B.Monkeys,
Check out this Website... http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ I bought the DVD (Ride Like a Pro) and it really helped with slow speed turns. Jerry "Motorman Pallidino is the guy in the DVD, with his wife, who weighs about 110 lbs, but can through a full dressed Harley around like it was a moped... DVD was a great help, especially on the slow control stuff... Simple techniques, but they will change the way you ride, no kidding. There are some videos on the main page, too...
Ride Safe...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Silenthill - Good looking bike you've got there. :)
Laffin, I think so too!
SBM, The most important advice anyone could possibly give you is:
WATCH FOR CAGES MAKING LEFT HAND TURNS!!!! They DO NOT SEE US!
Always ride as if they don't see you. I have actually witnessed people "straining" to see around me as I'm approaching, and then pull out in front of me. I live on the East coast of Canada, as I sit here drinking my morning coffee and watching the morning news, about, yet another fatality (poor guy riding his ride, cage pulls a left hand turn, motorcyclist dies)....I wonder if new riders are actually aware of this EVER PRESENT DANGER.
Ride carefully SBM. Beware the left hand turn.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
silenthill - Cars making left hand turns make me nervous. I slow down, I hit the horn. wave at them - anything to get a reaction from them.

I have ridden bicycles in traffic for the last 20+ years, done long distance rides and know about being invisible. At least my Vulcan makes noise. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Brad, Toymaker here. Your bike looks just like mine....now where did you say you got it????? hmmmm???

I got mine in Feb and have put 8500 miles on it. Yep..I like to ride.

The info here is invaluable...plus the folks are cool too!

Cheers

John the Toymaker

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
silenthill - Cars making left hand turns make me nervous. I slow down, I hit the horn. wave at them - anything to get a reaction from them.

I have ridden bicycles in traffic for the last 20+ years, done long distance rides and know about being invisible. At least my Vulcan makes noise. :)
Excellent.
Waving, beeping, blinking lights. Means one thing to a cage. Your telling him/her to pull out.
Everytime I read about someone taking that silly course....setting up cones etc...I NEVER HEAR ANYONE COMING OUT WITH THE CONCEPT OF LEFT HAND TURNS KILLING PEOPLE.
Falling over in a parking lot gets you a bruised ego.....oh, and a bruised knee.
Cars blissfully turning in front of us KILLS.
Slow down, swing wide, prepare to wot.....everytime.
That saves lives.
Absolutely no disrespect intended for anyone taking the course. But beware, keeping your balance is just ONE aspect of motorcycle riding. Nobody ever died falling over in a parking lot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I put a 135 decibel horn on my bike, as the factory horn sounded like a moped. I always cover both brakes and the horn button every time someone is turning left or pulling out from a side street If you're ready for it EVERY TIME you increase the odds in your favor...
As for the horn... I've had to use it twice for people pulling out if front of me... believe me it wakes them up...
The reason why you have to drive like everyone on the road is stupid, is because 97% of the time you'll be right...
Ride Safe...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey, SBM, there is another great book I got called "Proficient Motorcycling" by a guy named Hough... Deals with the physics of the bike i.e. what is actually happening when the bike does certain thing... also deals extensively with safety while riding.
road hazards, other drivers, etc... Another great resource that really helped me out...
I would say also that you should practice quick stops... Often... I mean really learn how to stop as quickly as your bike can. So it's second nature.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts