Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2008 Vulcan 900 last Friday. I have since put 160 miles on the bike and loved everyone of them. The bike was garage kept and has 4500 miles on it. It appears to be bone stock in every way. My question would be, what should I do first? I have plans for an oil and filter change along with a air filter swap and maybe a coolant flush just to get familiar with the bike. Should I worry about tiers, brakes, axle lubrication, and belt maintenance with so few miles on the bike? Of course in my head, it already has a free flow air intake and performance exhaust on it, but I want to make sure i cover the basics before spending money on upgrades. Is there any add ons or upgrade that are major improvements to the 900, comfort or performance?

·
Registered
225 Posts
How long was the bike sitting? Make sure you check the tires out, just cause they look new doesn't mean they are if its been sitting a long time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine is an 09 with 6k on it with original tires. You can see the dry rot in the front tire tread. I have to replace mine and just did an oil change myself

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes. Give the bike a thorough once over. You already spent a few grand. Don't get cheap now. Spend a couple hundred more for the bike's and your well being. Change the fluids and inspect everything. Tires should be replaced after 5 years no matter the mileage. Think of it as a clean slate. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very good advice. I am going to order the oil change kit do that this weekend. Plan to do the back tire in 2 weeks and the front tire in 3 weeks. After reading some of thebthreads, I belive I'll upside the back to improve the gear ration on the high end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts