Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all -

I've got a new Vulcan S on order and I'm starting to plan what equipment to carry (it has saddlebags). I already have a compact portable 12v air compressor which I bought for my Yamaha XC 125 scooter. It looks like this:
a_2048x.jpg and can be found online here: https://superflowair.com/products/hv-35-air-compressor

I also already have on order a motorcycle tire pressure monitor (TPMS). I likewise already have one of these on my Yamaha scoot, and it has worked well for me. 515ojN7bczL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Monitoring-monitoring-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Two-Wheeled/dp/B076KKYDRQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CFE68Y33ABX3&keywords=tpms+motorcycle+tire+pressure+monitor+system&qid=1569733176&sprefix=TMPS+motorcycle%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-3

Next on my list is a motorcycle tire repair kit. From other messages I've seen in this Forum, apparently there are different types of kits. Which type is best and what do people recommend?

I've seen others also recommend a good first aid kit. Anyone have any comments/recommendations on this? Is there any reason not to carry my battery charger/tender in my bags?

Anything else people recommend to be regularly carried on a bike??

Thanks all for any sharing the benefit of your experience. - Randy

Registered
No need to carry tender unless you're going to stay overnight, or plan on losing power near an outlet. DO NOT load up on tools that you won't ever use! Think about what repairs YOU are capable of doing roadside (and that you'd have parts for), then take tools that you'd need for those. First aid....minor stuff. If you need heavy duty first aid supplies you're probably not going to be in any shape to use them.

Carry your cell in a closed pocket....not in your bag, etc. If you go down and are separated from your bike, you may not be in shape to get back to it.

Take care, ride safe, maintain your bike religiously and you stand a good chance of only having to worry about tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
TrapperAH1G -

Thanks for your comments. I do carry my cell in a separate pocket. I've got a pacemaker so I must keep it 6 inches away. As a result I have 2 pocket shirts, with a pocket on each side. The right side is for the cell. That's a good point, thanks for you reply :) - Randy

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tire repair kits

Ok gang, a couple more questions . . .

For a tire repair kit, am I correct in thinking rope plugs are more desirable/utilitarian than mushroom plugs? How effective are the 16 gram CO2 cartridges to inflate a repaired but totally flat tire? Does it usually take more than 1 cartridge? Are replacement cartridges easily obtained?

I am comparing 2 different kits, one with CO2 cartridges (22 pieces) and one with no cartridges but 98 pieces. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have a portable 12v inflator, but it requires up to 14 amps so can't be run from the bike itself (5 amp limit on the OEM DC lighter plug). It works well from a car, however. These tire repair kits are in the $26 - $30 price range and have rope plugs.

Thanks all - Randy

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update - Tire kits:

So I spent a bunch of time researching this on UTube etc. From what I can tell, the 16 gram CO2 cartridges are good for about 5 psi each. For the KVS the rear tire spec is 36 psi, which works out to 7 of the cartridges. None of the kits I found had more than 3 or 4 cartridges, so I rethought how truly useful that style of kit really is. Since I already have a 12v portable air compressor that works well with bike tires, I think that is the more practical alternative. Now I just have to get an attachment that connects from the cigarette light plug to battery clips. That way the portable is much more adaptable to various field conditions.

The more I thought about the gargantuan super kits (98 pieces, etc.), the more i began to question the size and weight involved for carrying same on a bike. With this in mind I took closer looks at some of the smaller kits. One stood, out from all the others right away the AllTool 36 piece kit. It's much smaller and lighter that the super kits and far more appropriate to be carried on a bike. A lot of the super kits are 12" wide and weigh several pounds. This kit is in a 8.3 x 1.8 x 5 inches soft case that weighs a mere 14.4 ounces.

The tools are sturdy T handles, and there are also, pliers., a knife, gloves, a gauge, etc. One thing that is apparently unique about this kit is that it includes rope strings of 3 different sizes, 5 each of 2 different sizes and 10 of another. Additional items found iin the super kits are present in small quantities, such as caps, and replacement valve cores, for example.

This seemed like the ideal smaller portable kit with lots of the big kit features, so I ordered it. Details can be viewed on line here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWXS5P4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01LWXS5P4&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNUtTWVpNMTFXQk5IJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODYyOTg4MU9PUjdBWFdWWlpCMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTg5NTM2MlYzT05LOExKTzQ1WCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

if anyone else is interested. Hope this is helpful to others out there :) - Randy

Registered
....Now I just have to get an attachment that connects from the cigarette light plug to battery clips. That way the portable is much more adaptable to various field conditions.....

Just a suggestion, instead of carrying another piece, why not just put a lighter outlet on your bike. I use mine for the GPS, charge my phone & battery tender.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Ricksza -

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the maximum current with the OEM plug is 5 amps, and the inflator draws up to 14 amps. That fine for a car, but way beyond the capacity of a bike :( - Randy

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Well I found a 12v DC adapter cord at Harbor Freight - Cigarette lighter female to alligator clips - perfect to tap directly off of batteries. This goes in the bag with the SuperFlow tire inflator . . . - Randy

Registered
Ricksza -

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately the maximum current with the OEM plug is 5 amps, and the inflator draws up to 14 amps. That fine for a car, but way beyond the capacity of a bike :( - Randy
Sorry, I didn't notice you had the 650, I have the 900. I put my own on, rated at 20 amps, wired directly (through a fuse) to the battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Ricksza -

That idea did occur to me, but until I am more familiar with the KVS electrical system performance, I'm inclined to be conservative about putting larger draws directly on the battery. I did get the 12v Adapter cable, so I can connect the tire inflator directly to the battery as a last ditch alternative. Thanks, for responding!

Take care & ride safely :) - Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts