Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 08 vn2000 lt classic, love this bike, from 60mph to 78 mph while in the gas it chirps like a pully or something, let out of gas its gone, 80+ doesn't do it, or under 60, very true to 60 to 78 only in the gas, almost sounds like a idler pulley on a car, screechy sound or whistle sound, has 6k miles, also I smell coolant a lot but no leaks nowhere, I did see dried coolant on the left side pushrod tube ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
read on here a lot others chirping as well, I just had original tires changed so belt tension was redone but noise still the same, does sound like a belt chirp or pulley whine, and as others say its only under a load from 60 to 78, 80 mph its gone, 0 thru 58 gone !

·
Registered
578 Posts
Belt may be too tight. You may also need to align the rear wheel with the right side of the axle pulled slightly forward of the left, to get the belt to track towards the center of the pulley. I have almost given up trying to make mine stop chirping.

You will just need to do a very close inspection of the engine. You shouldn't smell any coolant, and if you see staining, you obviously have a leak.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
just got a 08 vn2000 lt classic, love this bike, from 60mph to 78 mph while in the gas it chirps like a pully or something, let out of gas its gone, 80+ doesn't do it, or under 60, very true to 60 to 78 only in the gas, almost sounds like a idler pulley on a car, screechy sound or whistle sound, has 6k miles, also I smell coolant a lot but no leaks nowhere, I did see dried coolant on the left side pushrod tube ?
How many miles do you have on it?

In reference to the coolant, I'd remove the tank and do a very close inspection of all the hoses. The tank is VERY VERY easy to remove. There are several threads here that explain how to do it..

As far as the chirping.. yea.. most likely the belt. Specially since it goes away when you let off the throttle.

That's the one "finicky" area with these bikes.. the belt.

If the belt is to loose, it makes a noise. If it's to tight, it makes a noise. If the wheel is not aligned, the belt makes a noise.

But.. maybe that's a good thing. It's letting you know something is not right and needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. I recently bought one as well, best bike ever. I picked mine up from a ship that delivered it to my state. I jumped on it and rode it home, the very first impression I got was the incredible belt noise from this thing, it was horrific, there was no way I could live with that. Now I had read all the cures on here and had plenty of experience with my 900 belt so I was pretty sure it was just adjustment issue.
Now on this bike the belt was banjo string tight, you could almost play a tune on it, similar to how the 900 was out of the factory. Anyway I read on hear to give all the teeth a clean with WD40 and a stiff brush or whatever, so I did that just for the sake of it. Then I just adjusted the belt, backed it off on the tension, back it off till its too loose, then nip it up till you just feel the belt starting to get tension on it and stop. Check notches have lined up EXACTLY on both sides, then tighten axle nut and check again. The axle nut as you tighten it, can make belt get tighter as well, so back off belt tension to allow for that if it happens to you. Once you get the feel for it its pretty easy.
Mine has not made a noise since, its absolutely quiet, it was just never adjusted correctly.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Belts need to be tite! Titer than you think.
Too Loose belt will chirp. Too tite it will whine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coolant leak was the small hose clamps between jugs, as for chirp its more of whistle and it sounds more forward than the belt, has handlebar speaker setup installed yesterday now brake lights out neither front or rear will work, tail works though, checked fuse under side cover its all good, none labeled for brake though, I guess pull cover check bulb? looks like have nuts on underside to take it off>?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
as for chirp its more of whistle and it sounds more forward than the belt, ?
glw, first itsa chirp, then a whine, now a whistle.. damn boy you gott a 3 peice ensemble going there..
some fellas got the 'snap, crakle, pop' comin out the pipe. makes for a nice little back beat,
put em together you could wrastle out a catchy tune.?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You also forget the belt being wet or dirty making it make noise. That belt is like your best friends hateful ole wife. Sometimes you just got to put up with the bad to keep the good. And finicky belt is not that bad to put up with.

·
Registered
578 Posts
as for chirp its more of whistle and it sounds more forward than the belt
The belt will sound like a high frequency, warble like whistle that emanates from all around you, you can move your head around trying to pinpoint it to no avail. What you are describing sounds just like the belt and is commonly believed to be caused by the belt riding too hard against the left side of the pulley.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am not sure but mine also has a very annoying chirp that sounds like it is coming from the front left of the engine area. I suspect the fuel pump. It is very audible at low speeds and can be heard by other riders behind me.

I also had a small puddle of coolant under the left hand side of the bike. it had dripped onto the left side crankcase from under the tank but from where. I have checked and there are no hoses anywhere near this part of the tank and there is no residue anywhere else. This has only happened a couple of times and has now for some reason stopped. I keep a close eye on it and it has not leaked since. Oh well just another of the V2K's little idiosyncrasies.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I got new tires and had a chirp of sorts. Took it back and they found the belt was too tight and the tire was not aligned right.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
glw, first itsa chirp, then a whine, now a whistle.. damn boy you gott a 3 peice ensemble going there..
some fellas got the 'snap, crakle, pop' comin out the pipe. makes for a nice little back beat,
put em together you could wrastle out a catchy tune.?
Don't forget the ticking engine and the clunking transmission. Then when you shut it off, you've got the whistling gas cap to play you out.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You can squirt a little WD40 on it, and if it's the belt chirping this will quiet it. It'll only last til the next time it gets wet, but it will help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just took mine to the shop today and they explained to me that the cause of the chirp is the belt rubbing on a piece of rubber added to the engine to aid in noise reduction. The squeal/chirp is the 2 rubbing together.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I disagree with this diagnosis. I removed that rubber block from mine and it still makes noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took the rubber wedge out and scraped it with my knife, re installed it. Sprayed a little WD40 on the belt and now it does NOT make anymore noise. Now you have the right and are an adult to disagree with what I type, BUT I can guarantee that this problem was solved the way I explained. I can, if it has to come to that, post a video and not only show you what was done but let you hear that there is now a lack of embarrassing noise coming from my motorcycle. I have not and will not tell everyone that the fix that I did is and only is the reason for ANY noise coming from EVERY motorcycle out there and will assure you that there are THOUSANDS of reasons as to why something would make noise and even more ways of how to remedy that situation. So disagreeing with a diagnosis on what could be making a noise in a motorcycle before I could come back with the results and how they were accomplished is greatly unappreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
they explained to me that the cause of the chirp is the belt rubbing on a piece of rubber
Many people have removed this block (those with larger front pulleys have to as the pulley hits it) and have still had the squeak. I will bet that it was the WD40 that stopped the noise, and it will return. But good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts