Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the recommendations for the Yuasa YTX20CH-BS battery and like the stats... and the lowest I could find it for is $80.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJX3R6/####?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

But Sears has a YTX20CH-BS from Chrome Battery (which has their own website and good reviews!) for only $62.10. Plus it comes with an extra 6 months of warranty (18 months vs. Yuasa's 12 months) and a 60 day money back guarantee on all orders.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM7101523009P?PDP_REDIRECT=false&ci_src=184425893&ci_sku=SPM7101523009&sid=IDx20130125xMPAUTx002

So my question is... are the Yuasa batteries that much better? Are they worth the extra 20? Or am I simply going to be paying for the Yuasa name?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Starter needs big battery

The Yuasa is the one you want and you want the biggest CCA one you can put in there. The $80 one won't do it properly. Has to be the $110 one.And get a battery tender so that thing wont ever give you trouble again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Yuasa is the one you want...
Why?

Personal preference, personal experience with Chrome Battery or Internet folklore? I'm looking for empirical evidence here. :)

The $80 one won't do it properly. Has to be the $110 one.
???

Amazon doesn't even offer a $110 version (search for Yuasa YTX20CH-BS).

Please advise. :D

And get a battery tender so that thing wont ever give you trouble again.
Never again?

Really?

I was under the assumption that batteries go bad. And while a battery tender will help, eventually you will be in the same spot that I am currently... in need of a new battery (even though I used a tender on this current battery :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
29 Posts
The ytx20ch-bs has the most cranking amps in a size that will fit (lead acid). If you want more you would have to get a Shorai Battery or Ballistic Battery but they are a lot more money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has the same 270ccaP
Yup, I know.

Specifically I'm interested in anyone's experience with ordering from one of these alternative sources (ChromeBattery.com or your PirateBattery.com).

Yuasa's are likely made in China or Mexico (used to be Japan - as I've read elsewhere). Chrome Battery is likely made in China and sold from Indiana.

But I don't know if the Yuasa battery is 20 dollars better than the alternative?

Thanks,
Bo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yup, I know.

Specifically I'm interested in anyone's experience with ordering from one of these alternative sources (ChromeBattery.com or your PirateBattery.com).

Yuasa's are likely made in China or Mexico (used to be Japan - as I've read elsewhere). Chrome Battery is likely made in China and sold from Indiana.

But I don't know if the Yuasa battery is 20 dollars better than the alternative?

Thanks,
Bo

I know interstate is a rebranded yuasa. The chrome may be as well

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm serious Bo Roop and I'm telling you from my personal experiences. I've got two V2K's and I've been through 3 batteries since 2007 . One from neglect, and two from not having bat tenders. Also, when I was buying a new bat. they put the $80 one in there thinking it was the right one. After cranking on it Three or four times I knew something wasn't right and the Bat. was all it could have been. They searched in their parts manuals and got the bigger one which put her back right. I sometimes go long periods without being able to ride but with the tenders I don't worry. They keep the batteries at where they are supposed to be. I just unplug the cord and take off. I bought min ae Walmart for $18 but recently noticed they didn't carry mine anymore. Our electric clocks will start to run our bat down in two weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm serious Bo Roop and I'm telling you from my personal experiences. I've got two V2K's and I've been through 3 batteries since 2007 . One from neglect, and two from not having bat tenders. Also, when I was buying a new bat. they put the $80 one in there thinking it was the right one. After cranking on it Three or four times I knew something wasn't right and the Bat. was all it could have been. They searched in their parts manuals and got the bigger one which put her back right. I sometimes go long periods without being able to ride but with the tenders I don't worry. They keep the batteries at where they are supposed to be. I just unplug the cord and take off. I bought min ae Walmart for $18 but recently noticed they didn't carry mine anymore. Our electric clocks will start to run our bat down in two weeks.
harbor freight $9

·
Registered
29 Posts
Please have some idea what you are talking about there is two battery's for the v2k The smaller one is a vtx16bs it's 240cca too small. The one he is asking about the vtx20ch-bs IS THE BIGGER ONE.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've always got my best price at Batteries Plus. Some you can buy online at their site (usually with free shipping) but some are only available in their local stores but they have a lot of stores (listing at their website.)

They show this one for your bike, has 270 CCA and it's an Asborbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery. The AGM are good, they don't loose charge nearly as quick as the old lead plates do. And when the battery doesn't loose charge fast it doesn't suffer sulfation as bad. Sulfation is what the battery tender prevents. Batteries lose the ability to accept a charge when discharged for too long due to sulfation,(the crystallization of lead sulfate.)

XTAX20CH-BS Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery 2000CC 2004 to 2012 VN2000-A Vulcan Kawasaki Motorcycle
CCA: 270 Primary Applications: ATV, Motorcycle, and more
Replaces: CYTX20CHBS, M6220C, PTX20CHBS, YTX16BS, YTX20CHBS

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/41603-XTAX20CH--BS-Xtreme-Permaseal-AGM-Battery/558-CC/4518-Motorcycle-Batteries/136078-Kawasaki/VN2000--A-Vulcan/2000CC-2004-to-2012.aspx

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...XTAX20CH-BS Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery 2000CC 2004 to 2012 VN2000-A Vulcan Kawasaki Motorcycle
CCA: 270 Primary Applications: ATV, Motorcycle, and more
Replaces: CYTX20CHBS, M6220C, PTX20CHBS, YTX16BS, YTX20CHBS
Yup. I know this too. 95 bucks and they have to special order it at my local store.

But it's not a Yuasa either!

So back to the original question again. Is Yuasa's version of this battery better than anyone else's version of this same battery?

It could be from Chome Battery, Pirate Battery, Xtreme Permaseal (via BatteriesPlus). That doesn't matter to me. I just want to hear if Yuasa's batteries are worth the extra money or do they have the same life expectancy as others (on or off battery tenders)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yup. I know this too. 95 bucks and they have to special order it at my local store.

But it's not a Yuasa either!

So back to the original question again. Is Yuasa's version of this battery better than anyone else's version of this same battery?

It could be from Chome Battery, Pirate Battery, Xtreme Permaseal (via BatteriesPlus). That doesn't matter to me. I just want to hear if Yuasa's batteries are worth the extra money or do they have the same life expectancy as others (on or off battery tenders)?

Thanks.
Oh sorry, I failed to get the full jest of your original post. The Batt Plus website did not give an online price, but at $95 and "IF" the Sears battery is an AGM type, I personally would buy the Sears one. I'm 63 yrs old and seen all kinds of brands fail. In this day and time I look at the CCA rating and the internal structure only. The AGM is way more durable than the old lead plate.

I don't know of any empirical evidence for the Yuasa brand. But some do like them. If you found one for $80 then given your experience with Chrome batteries I would think the $80 would be your best deal.

Even Battery Mart couldn't beat that:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTX20CH-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh sorry, I failed to get the full jest of your original post. The Batt Plus website did not give an online price, but at $95 and "IF" the Sears battery is an AGM type, I personally would buy the Sears one. I'm 63 yrs old and seen all kinds of brands fail. In this day and time I look at the CCA rating and the internal structure only. The AGM is way more durable than the old lead plate.
No worries.

The Sears battery is a sealed AGM with the recommended 270 cold cranking amps. Seems that you and I are from the same school. I'm definitely a fan of the newer AGM batteries.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
574 Posts
No worries.
. . . . . . I'm definitely a fan of the newer AGM batteries.
Thanks for your input.
I've read in depth on the AGM, and feel they are even better than their best competitor the GEL types. The search for a lead plate replacement first began with boat trolling motor battery design. They needed a battery that could deal out the amps and still hold it's charge as long as possible.

They hold a charge so well, that other than winter storage, I personally feel they eliminate the need for a battery tender, since not much sulfation takes place in a weeks time on an AGM type. They have a dealer shelf life of a year, will crank then even without a charge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts