Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the two pulleys installed today on my 2014 900 Classic LT. My only concern was the effect they would have on the initial roll. Any manual transmission requires a bit of finesse working the clutch and throttle when starting out, right? Just watch anyone learning to drive on a manual. Well, I'd say adding two pulleys means you need just a bit more finesse than on the stock bike --- but not much. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The guy who test rode the bike didn't think so either. I suppose a heavy load up a hill might be interesting.

While the first few feet may be slightly slower, after that, everything seems better to me. The gears are all a bit taller (noticeably so), so you stay in each of them longer. This actually makes the start feel faster because you shift less often. It seemed that way to me anyway. I suppose a really skilled (smooth/quick) shifter would be faster with the stock bike, but that's not especially important to me. I think there's still enough pop to outrun most vehicles in lane next to you from a light if you want to get in front for some reason.

The new 4th gear feels quite close to the old 5th gear. This is consistent with gearingcommander.com, which shows that the new 4th is about 1 mph slower than the stock 5th at around 50 mph.

Cruising is GREAT. Before the pulleys, 60 mph indicated meant a little over 57 mph actual on my bike (GPS). That's at about 3350 RPMs, according to gearingcommander.com. After the pulleys, 60 mph indicated means about 65 mph actual on my bike (GPS), and the bike is really smooth at that RPM and speed. 70 mph indicated used to mean about 67 mph actual on my bike (roughly 3920 RPMs per gearingcommander). Now 70 indicated (and 3920 RPMs) means about 75 actual.

Downshifting to 4th now gives a just slightly lower gear than the old 5th, so that's probably the way to pass on the highway when you want to get up and go. That's fine.

I don't think I'll change my speedometer. At highway speeds, I'm 4 to 5 mph over the indicated speed. So if I put the speedometer on the speed limit, I'm 4-5 over, and if I go 5 over the speed limit, I'm about 10 over. Almost no one goes the speed limit, and these two reference points seem great to me. I've heard older bikes had larger speedometer errors, so this may vary bike-by-bike.

The bike is still not one I want to take at 80 on the freeway for hours on end. I didn't do this upgrade for that. I knew that was not in the feasible set for me, because even with the mod, you're still sitting at 4140 RPM at 80, which is pretty buzzy in a V-Twin. It seems unreasonable to expect a V-Twin trashing away over 4100 times a minute just a few inches from your crotch to be butter smooth, and it's not. I'm actually impressed with how smooth it is, but I'm sure others will attest that 80 mph is a lot more comfortable in a 1700 or Gold Wing.

That said, this mod just might be the one that causes me to keep this bike forever, unless I start to seriously tour. Time will tell.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I changed both as well and I liked the difference. I however have been at 85 on the highway. Except for that added wind kicking you it ran well.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a different bike. There isn't a thing I don't like about the change. Third is a nicer in-town gear, and fourth is a better highish-speed-through & between-town gear (e.g., 40-50). Fifth is a MUCH nicer highway cruise gear. For me, the bike is now almost the perfect combo of boulevard cruiser and highway bike. Havent had it to 80+ yet with the new gears, but 80 actual will feel about how 71-72 actual (74-75 indicated) used to feel, which wasn't bad for stretches.

Yippee!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I installed the lower fork deflectors and I was totally amazed. The buffeting is 90% gone. I don't smoke but if I did I could smoke behind the windshield now at 70 mph. I installed both pulleys and the 170 / 80 tire, why some have asked/ I had them and decided to use them. My speedometer is off by 4mph +- I rode with a GPS and it said we were doing 60 at one point and as best I could tell I was registering about 56 as best I could hold it steady. It sure make a difference......

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey sage,

I found the lowers work great. With lowers and the pulleys, we've got a great bike that'l cruise the boulevard and hit the highway, with fun twisties in between. I still get some buffeting, but I think about 80% of it is gone. On a calm day, it seems mostly gone. It seem that it's worse on windy days, and when the wind is from a certain direction, which I haven't figured out. In any event, lowers plus the pulleys make this a more comfortable bike.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed both pulleys and the 170 / 80 tire, why some have asked/ I had them and decided to use them. My speedometer is off by 4mph +- I rode with a GPS and it said we were doing 60 at one point and as best I could tell I was registering about 56 as best I could hold it steady. It sure make a difference......
Sage, what year is your bike? If I were to add the larger tire to the two pulley mod I just added, my speedometer would be low by about 6.5 mph at 60 mph indicated. This would be around 57 mph actual without pulleys, 64.5 mph actual with both pulleys, and 66.5 mph with both pulleys and the tire. So at 60 mph indicated, I travel 6.5 mph faster than indicated with all three mods. The difference between indicated and actual that you describe seems a bit smaller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts