Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Kenwood compact marine amp (KAC-M1814) and a set of Kicker marine 6.5" speakers for my fairing dash on the Voyager. Ordered the Engineered Adapters 6 1/2" adapters, which there is a wait on, so it will be a bit before I can set it all up. Looking forward to it though. Will run the amp in bridged mode for higher power on two channels.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sweet! I had the Klockwerks audio upgrade kit installed on my Vaquero when it was in for accident damage last year - much louder and clearer!

-John

·
Registered
35 Posts
just curious why you chose the Kenwood amp

was looking at the Alpine KTP-445U
or Clarion XC1420

why you chose the kenwood?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just curious why you chose the Kenwood amp

was looking at the Alpine KTP-445U
or Clarion XC1420

why you chose the kenwood?
This is an easy one. First off, I've had Kenwood equipment many times over in the last 40 years and all have been durable and clean sounding. The head unit in my truck is a Kenwood. That being said, Alpine and Clarion also make very good products.

I looked at the Alpine. Best Buy listed it under marine amplifiers. At no point in the literature that I looked at, either Googling around or on Alpine's web site could I find a single piece of documentation that it is actually marine grade rated. Maybe it is, but without written proof, I wasn't buying it to put under my fairing with potential road spray etc. kicking back at it.

I also looked at the Clarion. Has a nice compact form factor, clean ratings, pretty much everything I would be looking for. Problem here is that there aren't many retailers or local shops that support Clarion. It's more expensive and I could only get it from Amazon. Even Crutchfield doesn't carry it any more. I can find Kenwood shops anywhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress pics

Installed stuff today. Suffice to say that it was a frustrating experience. Apparently the little rubber threaded inserts like to walk away. Or run... and hide... Whe your driveway is on a hill, it can be a cause for 4 letter words.

It eventually got finished however, so here are a couple of posts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Engineered adapters 6.5" kit. The instructions say to ditch the buckets. Instead I decided to keep them, but paint them inside and out with liquid sound deadener (Boom Mat).

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty amazing difference between the speaker sizes. Look at that magnet.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amp locked and loaded after whipping up a quick bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, I have no idea why that came out sideways

·
Registered
471 Posts
Looks good! How much power does that amp put out, and did you have to do any cutting to install the speaker adapter kit?

-John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good! How much power does that amp put out, and did you have to do any cutting to install the speaker adapter kit?

-John
The amp is a 4 channel amp, rated 45 watts RMS per channel. I am running it in bridged 2 channel mode, so I'm getting 90 watts rms per side. Technically I'm putting out more power than the speakers are rated for, but you can usually go higher, assuming you have clean power.

The Engineered Adapters 6 1/2 speaker adapters fit like a glove. I didn't have to modify anything and they look like factory parts. Really cool product. The only trick I found to getting them on right was to start the Allen screw supplied in the kit (goes near the mounting tab) first. Then you can kinda wiggle the rest of the adapter down into the recess just right.

I'll grab a shot of the finished install soon. I was too busy riding the bike over the weekend.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The amp is a 4 channel amp, rated 45 watts RMS per channel. I am running it in bridged 2 channel mode, so I'm getting 90 watts rms per side. Technically I'm putting out more power than the speakers are rated for, but you can usually go higher, assuming you have clean power.

The Engineered Adapters 6 1/2 speaker adapters fit like a glove. I didn't have to modify anything and they look like factory parts. Really cool product. The only trick I found to getting them on right was to start the Allen screw supplied in the kit (goes near the mounting tab) first. Then you can kinda wiggle the rest of the adapter down into the recess just right.

I'll grab a shot of the finished install soon. I was too busy riding the bike over the weekend.
That's awesome! While I *like* the Kicker speakers that came in the kit I had installed, I'm on the lookout for replacements. IIRC, the Kicker amp in my kit only puts out 50w RMS per channel, so I'll have to check on that and the wattage your speakers can handle. I am not keen on removing the fairing LOL.

-John

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished pic.

Attachments

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts