Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case any of you guys are tempted in any way to use belt dressing on your drive belt, DO NOT DO IT! Belt dressing is intended for smooth belts, not toothed belts.
I was getting a squeaking noise form my belt and had the not so brilliant idea to spray it with belt dressing. It helped the noise temporarily and like a dumb ass I repeated the process one too many times.

Now at this point the belt is coated with belt dressing and is some kind of sticky. Don't put your fingers on it or you will have to call for help to get loose from it as it is sticky as glue now. So, coming home late one evening from an all day ride I am noticing a LOUD noise coming from the left side which got continually worse until I got home and parked the bike.

Next morning I jacked the bike up trying to determine the source of grinding/growling noise. The rear axle is badly out of alignment causing the belt to run to the outside of the rear pulley, hence making the squeaking noise, and the belt dressing masked the problem until it got to the point of nearly gluing the belt to the pulley.
Here's where the dumbass part comes in. I realigned the rear axle so the belt would run in the middle of the pulley but the grinding/growling noise is still there. Seems as how I used too much belt dressing on the belt and it was sticking to the grooves in the pulley. As each tooth on the pulley would come off the pulley as it rotated there would be a popping noise, as in glue breaking loose. Multiply this by a few thousand time and you have a LOUD growling noise. Dumbass or what?

Thank God for WD-40. With the bike jacked up, engine on, in second gear, rear wheel running, growling noise about to drive me nuts, I unleashed the WD-40 on the rear pulley and instantly the noise just stopped. Now I have a large mess on the floor to clean up 'cause the WD melted all that goop on the pulley and it was thrown everywhere.

So, in summation, my grinding/growling noise is gone, the squeaking noise is gone, the belt is now running amidships and it should be, the rear axle in now straight and hopefully will enhance tire life somewhat and my scooter and I are much happier.

Old age is not for sissies. I grew up working on engines and cars and other stuff and I knew dang well not to put belt dressing on a toothed belt but somehow that face escaped me and I did it anyhow. Oh well, Live and Re-learn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tough go there CoolPig. I had read somewhere to align the belt to the inside of the pulley to eliminate belt squeak. They said that when riding, the belt moves towards the outside of the pulley. True/untrue?

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tough go there CoolPig. I had read somewhere to align the belt to the inside of the pulley to eliminate belt squeak. They said that when riding, the belt moves towards the outside of the pulley. True/untrue?
'
I certainly do not mean to insult anyone's intelligence but if you have ever tried to align any belt driven equipment you would see that if either pulley is out of alignment the belt will run toward the side that is closer to the drive pulley. Both sides of the rear axle must be very nearly exactly the same distance from the driving pulley in order for it to run true.

The belt will not automatically run to the outside of the pulley unless the rear axle is out of alignment. The marks on the adjusters and on the frame are NOT absolute. They are at best ballpark alignment marks to get the wheel sort of straight. You have to monitor the belt and pulleys and make the adjustments yourself to get it properly adjusted. Any time you have a rear tire changed you should make sure the adjusters have not been moved and they are both in the same position as before the tire change. Then monitor your belt for a couple days to make sure it is still tracking straight. There should be an equal gap on both edges of the belt to the sides of the pulley. If not, adjust it.

I believe this will also help in tire life as the tire will be running straighter instead of in a constant sideways skid. One other thing, don't be a dumbass and spray belt dressing on your drive belt like I did. It makes problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alignment

From what I remember of the article, they said there was a slight flexing between the drive pulleys due to bushings, frame, etc. The article was about the high number of complaints the V2K was getting for belt noise. It was stated that this movement was under load and not on the stand. The article stated it cured his squeaking belt that had not gone away with factory spec alignment procedures.
Could be wrong, dunno.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts