Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Been lurking for a while while I have been searching for my re-entry bike after 15 years off a saddle. Was looking at the VN900, C50 and Vstars. After riding a few of each I purchased a Sliver/Blue 06 Vulcan Classic LT with 1k miles. I loved the 900 for its smooth power and lighter than it is handling characteristics. It was traded for an HD after its owner used it as a re-entry bike.

Its just about perfect, just one tiny scratch on the rear fender. I installed a cobra lightbar with a relay as suggested from this forum. Looks and works great.

I have 2 basic questions, living in the south what weight oil should I run. Been a long time Castrol proponent in my other motoring hobbies. Since only the initial service has been performed on this bike due to mileage it probably should be done here shortly.

Also I didn't get a manual, but I did purchase a shop manual. What octane fuel should be run. High Test or just regular. It didn't say in the shop book. I am about 900 above sea level here.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Welcome aboard Dave!

·
Registered
533 Posts
You just asked two questions that are guaranteed to open the old can of worms...i.e. "what gas to run" and "what oil to use"? . You can run regular gas, and as long as you're in temps that stay below 100* most of the time you can run the 10W-40. If you want to go heavier, then you can use 20-50 if you don't run a lot below 32*. I wouldn't consider using any oil that isn't m/c specific, but that's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, it gets warm down here but I won't be out if its 100+ or 32-. So I got both answers covered. Sounds like I will give those a whirl. I will find a place local to get motorcycle specific oil and a filter for her.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I take my advice from an old biker who seems to really know his stuff. has a Harley two Suzuki's, a Kawa and 5 other bikes. He avoids ethanol fuels and runs 87+ octane. His son is a Suzuki and Kawasaki certified mechanic. He uses Rotella T synthetic motor oil and he has researched all the hoopla about oils and this one is cheap and has everything you need. His bikes are stable and run good, He hasn't had any problems for the last 40 years with this program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts