Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! Today I just purchased my first Vulcan, and first bike for that matter. I picked up a 2009 900 custom. As far as I know everything on the bike is stock. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what accessories I should upgrade first?

Bigjay

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
The bike is not completely stock.Quick glance shows the intake has been swapped out.New seat and pay the bike off if not already done.Ride and enjoy..If paid for maybe a windshield and crash/engine guard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike is not completely stock.Quick glance shows the intake has been swapped out.New seat and pay the bike off if not already done.Ride and enjoy..If paid for maybe a windshield and crash/engine guard.

Oh really? I had no idea. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
What kind of riding are you planning on doing? I think answering this will help you figure out what kind of modifications to do to your bike. And that may or may not be a question you can answer yet, seeing how you are new to riding.

If you are going to do longer distance riding, or use it daily, I'd recommend a windshield, some saddle bags, and a sissy bar/luggage rack, probably in that order. The windshield, for me at least, made a huge difference when it came to longer trips or riding at highway speed. The saddle bags are great for storing rain gear, first aid kit, etc. The sissy bar/luggage rack is good for a passenger, but it also offers more storage options.

My suggestion is to ride it as you bought it for a few weeks, see what you're going to do with it, then take it from there.

Congrats, its a cool looking bike!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of riding are you planning on doing? I think answering this will help you figure out what kind of modifications to do to your bike. And that may or may not be a question you can answer yet, seeing how you are new to riding.

If you are going to do longer distance riding, or use it daily, I'd recommend a windshield, some saddle bags, and a sissy bar/luggage rack, probably in that order. The windshield, for me at least, made a huge difference when it came to longer trips or riding at highway speed. The saddle bags are great for storing rain gear, first aid kit, etc. The sissy bar/luggage rack is good for a passenger, but it also offers more storage options.

My suggestion is to ride it as you bought it for a few weeks, see what you're going to do with it, then take it from there.

Congrats, its a cool looking bike!

Primarily going to use it for riding back and Forth to work. Hope eventually I can take some weekend type trips as my parents ride and go on trips a few times a year with a small group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
ive got a 15 custom - little over a year, and all i've done is add saddle bags using easy brackets and a ram mount for electronics. I mostly commute back and forth to work, do some day trips on the weekends, and one trip in the summer for 4 days and it does what i need it too.

I'm thinking about a windshield maybe other thing may come and go as I ride more.

I dont like chrome, the chrome on mine is minimal, and I would look at replacing that on your bike, if it was mine, but thats a personal thing

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
National Cycle Quick Release Switchblade Two Up Shield and National Cycle Quick Release Passenger Backrest. Mustang Daytripper Seat. Maybe some 10" mini apes or larger if you want to change the cables. And since you have an intake maybe a new exhaust and programmer. Check under the seat. It might already have a programmer. Maybe some new grips too for looks only. Lots of aftermarket support on this bike so tons of possibilities. Just depends on what you want. I wanted to be able to go from street to tour in less than 1 minute. That's why I went with the quick release stuff.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
If your going for a windshield, Since its a custom I would go with one that's more sportier than classic, streamline.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
With the switchblade system you have 4 different windshields that for the mount. You can go from streamlined to touring with the same mount.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello all! Today I just purchased my first Vulcan, and first bike for that matter. I picked up a 2009 900 custom. As far as I know everything on the bike is stock. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what accessories I should upgrade first?

Bigjay
If you are going for long rides you may want to consider changing the seat or a cheaper option that I am currently using is a cruiser cushion from Freedom Air . Before that seat I was done before 60 miles, with it I have gone a couple 200+ mile trips with no problems. If I was sure I was keeping my 09 Vulcan Classic LT I would probably upgrade to a Mustang or Corbin seat, but I am seriously considering upgrading to a new Voyager or used Goldwing, primarily for my wife's comfort because even though I installed passenger floorboards and put on an AirHawk passenger cushion for her, she is only good for about 60-80 miles and starts getting uncomfortable. Only other upgrade I did to my 900 was highway or crash bars.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Engine gaurd. I caught the frame on a corner (I was going too fast) went for a tumble, my engine guard was toast but it saved the bike from big damage. Also bikes can tip over at slow speed or something as simple as not having the kickstand all the way down the bike tips over.

If you ride for any periods over an hour you will likely be looking at an aftermarket seat. I went with Corbin young guns on my 900 custom, wanted to keep look similar to stock and have a pillion for the occasional short ride with a passenger. Also Corbin allows a lot of options for seat color, material, stitching etc..

WB

·
Registered
32 Posts
That the bike I bought! Love the color :grin2: The black rims aren't stock either...can't tell from the photo whether the previous owner just painted them or swapped it out for black.
I personally think a windscreen ruins the look of the bike, but to each his own. Personally, my next upgrade will be an aftermarket seat or cushion and the Gen Mar X11 risers for the handlebars. I've already done replacements on my pegs, mirrors, headlight, and rear blinker and added a sheepskin butt pad. You can see my bike in my avatar photo - ask if you have any questions!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Can't really see from the avatar pic. Can you post a pic? I would like to get a better view of your upgrades. I agree on the wind screen re looks but I added a removable sheild that I put on in late fall and take off early spring, it lets you ride in colder temps without totally freezing you butt off. Better to ride with less than desireable look than not ride at all!
WB

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hello all! Today I just purchased my first Vulcan, and first bike for that matter. I picked up a 2009 900 custom.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what accessories I should upgrade first?

Bigjay
Congrats. After looking at the date of your original post and your location, The first upgrade I would make is....

Some really good gloves,.... maybe even "snowmobile grade"
A turtle fur balacava (sp?) for chilly mornings
some gas money to expand the odometer mileage before the rotten weather hits.

Lots of time after that for the bigger ticket stuff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts