Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Drove a brand new 2014 900 LT home yesterday and now have 382 miles on it :). I've been driving a lot --- home, then country roads this morning, then some more this afternoon. I've done cities, farm country roads, highways, and freeways. Haven't opened it up yet per the manual break-in procedures, but I've gone through the whole allowable (per the manual) envelope (with no "lugging") in every gear many times.

I have no experience with V-Twins or belt drive. I have experience with cars :rolleyes: and 33-year-old experience with a Suzuki GT 185, LOL.

Toward the end of the ride on day one and on both rides on day 2 I am hearing noises that make me ask: "is this normal?" Maybe it is. But newbie here wonders.

So the main noises occur only at intermediate speeds and seem to be more frequent after I've been running for awhile. One noise is a distinct whine (is the belt too tight?), and the other is a distinct and loud (to my ears) clicking on each pulse of the V-Twin. The clicking doesn't happen at "high" speed (50-60 mph) or low speed (in the parking lot). It happens at various intermediate speeds like 20-45, depending.

My question is simply should I be alarmed by this? Or should I just run it 600 miles and do the first service per the manual.

Sorry for the dumb questions. :D

You can't believe how much fun I'm having. I have arthritis in my back, and I feel better getting off the bike than I feel getting out of a car! Here's to just a bit of V-Twin vibration as therapy.

Cheers,
VulcanDan

·
Registered
154 Posts
the clicking you describe is normal for my 14 also. the whine might be from your belt, it does take a bit to settle into its happy place, it should break itself in. if the while is still there at your maintenance mention it then, as they will likely adjust it anyhow at that point.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Remember the 9 are a overhead cam with valve lash (clearance) and chain driven along with the primary for the transmission.
Put a voltmeter on the battery for the charging system.

Yes these machine's do have a bit of mech noises.
Ride on, they tend to loosen up a bit at 5-6K miles.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
it will clang, bang, grunt and make just about every other noise .... and its all normal ... I put in full synthetic oil (no its not another oil thread) at my first service ... it aint the cheapest, but it sure quietened it down a bit. Just remember, if you run full synthetic ... its for life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My guess is the clicking you here is the injectors. The whining may be the secondary air valve. It's hard to say without hearing it, but mine makes the same noises.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Ditto what the others said. The noises are pretty normal and the belts are almost always too tight from factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts