Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agreed to buy the bike last Monday, had the agonizing wait until Saturday when I could pick it up and then weather would only allow me to sit on it in the garage and make "vroom" "vroom" noises.

Finally today I got out for a short 65 mile ride. Few things as fun as your first ride on a new bike. I've had the pleasure of doing it a bunch of times over the years and it is just such an amazing feeling - you guys know what I mean. It was quite windy but sunny and about 50 degrees.

I did about 40 miles on the highway cruising most times at 70 (actual), and taking it up to 80 for stretches just to see how wound out the engine would get. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth and (relatively) calm the engine is at those speeds. I have front and rear pulleys sitting in my shopping cart on Amazon and now I wondering if its even worthwhile to invest. Surely my bike came off the same assembly line as everyone else's so why am I not hunting for 6th or going numb in my extremities at 80? My bike has 28K (2012) miles on it and the engine has had its legs stretched out on many long haul trips. Perhaps somewhere along the way the engine just found its groove? Also I wonder if having stock pipes reduces the overall felt vibrations which are sometimes attributed to engine vibes?

With all the wind I was having some pretty severe buffeting that was giving me blurred vision. I found that if I sat up straighter, exposing more of my helmet to direct wind, the buffeting improved but was not eliminated. The windscreen did a great job of keeping the chill off my chest but the trade off was certainly not worth it. Not to mention I don't care for the look of the thing. It may be up for sale soon if anyone is interested.

I think I am going to increase the gearing slightly to stretch out second and third gears primarily as I found them a little short for my city riding. I think I may just go to a 170/80 rear and see if that satisfies. All in all, I think I made a great choice picking this bike up. I have a Harley Iron 883 and an SV650 that will be getting quite jealous in the coming weeks...

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Way to go, NYNJ8...

Give it some time...I think she'll grow on'ya a little bit more.

BTW...whats the color scheme?...can't tell with the sun glare in that particular shot...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 2012 I believe thats the SE trim from that year. It was my favorite trim until I saw the matte black and white 2013!

Oh its growing on me! For the last stretch of highway I stretched my legs out on the highway pegs, hit the right lane and took it down to 55 just to make it last. If it was 10 degrees warmer and if I had music it would've been nirvana!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You might want to look into getting a set of lowers for that buffeting problem.

I love the 900 it's a great bike congrats on your new addition to your stable

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Won't the 170/80 have the same circumference as the 180/70 ?
No, the 170/80 has a sidewall height of 136mm (170mm x .80) while the 180/70 has a sidewall height of 126mm. Making this tire switch lowers the RPM at 70mph by 126rpm. Not a huge change, but hopefully it will have the impact of stretching 2nd and 3rd gears.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Welcome.

I have to agree and say get the lowers. I got mine two weeks ago and the difference is unbelievable.
I did get new pvc sheet and cut out bigger deflectors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to believe lowers make that much difference but I've heard it enough times now to accept it. I was thinking about selling the LT screen and hardware and going with the memphis shades system for the quick release functionality. Looks like they have lowers with the same quick release. Perhaps I'll put aside my vanity and test out some DIY lowers with plexiglass and hose clamps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts