Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im looking to buy a bike and I came across a beautiful 93 750 and the guy is asking $1500 it has 40,000 miles on it though. Im not familiar with bikes all that well but its a beautiful bike, well maintained and obviously garaged. He bought the bike before he got endorsed thinking that he could get a motorcylce license w/o a drivers license. He's had the bike for about a month. Thing that bothers me is that he says something about a speed kit on the bike, and that it was put on by the previous owner. Im going to see the bike today but he says its a little black box on the bike that makes it go faster. He obviusly has no idea what he talking about. I work on cars so I see this type of stuff all the time and I know they "usually" do more bad than good but is this something you guys have heard of? He said every know and then the battery will drain down and the bike will have to be jumped and the person he took it too said it was the "speed kit" doing this. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys Im looking to buy a bike and I came across a beautiful 93 750 and the guy is asking $1500 it has 40,000 miles on it though. Im not familiar with bikes all that well but its a beautiful bike, well maintained and obviously garaged. He bought the bike before he got endorsed thinking that he could get a motorcylce license w/o a drivers license. He's had the bike for about a month. Thing that bothers me is that he says something about a speed kit on the bike, and that it was put on by the previous owner. Im going to see the bike today but he says its a little black box on the bike that makes it go faster. He obviusly has no idea what he talking about. I work on cars so I see this type of stuff all the time and I know they "usually" do more bad than good but is this something you guys have heard of? He said every know and then the battery will drain down and the bike will have to be jumped and the person he took it too said it was the "speed kit" doing this. Thanks for your help guys.
Been online almost everyday on the vn750.com board for 2 1/2 years and I have never heard of a "speed kit". The "black box" must be some sort of makeshift replacement for the transitorized IC Ignitor unit on the back of the battery box. It has a 4 pin and a 6 pin connector accessible under the right side frame cover. Reasonably priced OEM salvaged replacements can be found on ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I'll take pix when I go to see it. I have been reading on the forum a bit and I see an issue with a spline not being greased and different people having start issues and the same battery not charging issue. Is this bike any good with that high of mileage on it? What should I look for as indicators of big ticket items?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hi I have a 05 750 that bought two seasons ago It had 3,000 miles on it when I bought it and and it now has over 17,000. I have only had to replace the stock tires with Metzler 880s (big improvement) and change all fluids (oil and filter several times). I bought a new battery for this season it was time. BTW if the battery is getting weak the bike will back fire when you try to start it.

This bike is great it is easy to ride and is reasonable quick for a 750 I ride with lots of larger bikes and do not feel unable to keep up. As a matter of fact I often am faster on the back twisty roads.

The down side is that there are few after market parts available. I would look for a newer bike with less miles but there is no reason that you could not enjoy the bike for many more miles. I do think his price is a bit high.

As to the "speed kit" I have never heard of it. There is a 750vn forum and you may want to ask there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
+1 on www.vn750.com. Great bunch of guys over there, much like here, but the site is totally focused on '85 and newer VN700/VN750 Vulcans. I used to have an '85 VN700A1, so I spent a fair amount of time there early last summer. I've never heard of a "speed kit" either, but here's a couple things you'll want to look into:

Listen to the bike idle. If it sounds like something's rattling around in the jugs, it's probably the cam chain tensioners. Altho, at 40k, they had to have been replaced or it'd have jumped a cam chain already. But if they went OE replacement, they'll need to be replace again soon. They seem to have a lifespan of ~20k miles.

Final drive spline lube: once again, at 40k this has likely been done, or didn't need to be done. But who knows? Check it anyway.

See if you can ride it when it's dead cold. Let the clutch out in first gear, and if it makes a sound like a coffee grinder, it'll need new clutch springs. And trust me, that sound and the little jerk it gives when the clutch slips is NOT a welcome surprise.

As for the battery crapping out, well, VN750s have notoriously weak stator output at idle. If the owner thinks he's keeping that battery warm by going out and idling it every couple weeks, he's way off. From what I've gathered, it's just about all that stator can handle to keep the lights and ignition going at 900 rpm. Hardly puts a charge on the battery at all.

As for bike quality...they made 'em a long time, and the model has a loyal following. I enjoyed riding mine, but at 24k miles, it had obviously been indifferently maintained at best, and ridden like it was stolen frequently. I unloaded it after 1 season and bought my 9. On the other end of the spectrum, a friend had a '96 VN750 that was beautiful and ran great. Only issue he ever had was one of the fuel bowls started leaking a bit, and he had 20k on his. Honestly, I've heard more good than bad about these bikes, especially from owners who stayed on top of the common issues they have.

Sorry to be long winded, but I got in over my head on my used VN700. Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1barron, it does back fire when starting. Luciferiad yes, Im feeling the same way about this one, I read more bad than good but he same guys say its reliable. Anywho, Thanks for all the replies. He will let it go for $800 I made a big deal about the whole thing. This black box has nothing to do with speed. You can see it below, its some kind of high beam intensifier. The bike started one time and he rode it down the street and it died. It has spliced wires everywhere, and a wire burnt through on his trip from the guys house he bought it from. I think this Hid thing is pulling to much power from the system. Also he bought a 220 battery from Autozone to replace the one that was in there. H thinks thats partly why its wasnt starting again. I had jump it everytime a well, so the system isnt charging the battery either. Im thinking pull the entire harness and re-wire the bike, that box is spliced in at the gas tank and ties into stuff going to the front and back of the bike.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am not an electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV but I bet someone out there could tell you something about the device.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts