Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

New 1600 classic and new rider.

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  niteowl 
#1 ·
http://youtu.be/s-iMkqfF_jY

My ol man showed up 2 weeks ago and I thought he sold his Harley for a Vulcan. Turned out he needed a ride back home as he bought me a 2007 Vulcan Classic 1600, with 23K miles on her for $5000. I think as we are both truck drivers over the road. He wanted a ridding partner soon. haha

I have been reading AZ MVD motorcycle book a bit and watching and reading stuff online. From what I read, A lot of people say to start on a smaller "cc" motor and grow with it. Well, Dont look like I really have that option.

Can anyone give me any tips or info on what to watch for when handling this beautiful black beauty?

I have rolled it out of the garage, washed her, blew her off with a leaf blower. And as I let off on the clutch and she started sounding like she was bogging down. Turns out I gave her a bitt too much gas as I was letting out the clutch. And she moved real fast. haha (nothing bad)

When I get off the road, I want to practice with her around our housing community streets to get a head start before heading to the motorcycle school. Just get be more familiar and used to her. I wish I had highway/crash/engine guard bars on her. But I guess it will just make me more careful with her.

Any tips or info would be appreciated. Thanks guys. I will be on this forum for years I can see. Happy mothers day to all the ladies out there and you guyses moms.

See less See more
#3 ·
You are a lucky man to have someone show up at your door and say hey, I bought you a fantastic motorcycle. The number one best info I can give you is sign up for a Motorcycle safety course in your area and practice on you're new ride in the biggest, wide open parking lot you can find and learn how to handle your ride. I Love my 1600 but I've been riding since I was 20 (over 30 yrs) and the transition to a heavyweight bike was easy. Don't let the displacement size intimidate you. These bikes have a very forgiving gearing and throttle response. it has enough torque to make it easy to pull out even if you dump the clutch a little fast and its no so zippy as to want to throw you off the seat every time you hit the throttle a bit heavy. Your biggest skill to learn will be to handle the weight of this bike at low speed. Its a cruiser and it is not exactly "nimble". Be careful and enjoy your new best friend.

#5 ·
[BlueridgeRider

Thanks for the reply. The size of the bike does not bother or intimidate me as much as the reasons for online articles I have read saying to start small. My ol man is a Harley guy. So all but a sportster is big. He said because my size a larger bike would be best. I really love this bike. So I just want to make sure I learn from other before I get back home.

Ive seen MVD/dmv road tests and looks like the biggest worry the gov has. Is controlling the bike at real slow speeds. And some crazy short run instructed to shift up then back down. Haha seams like a real short ride to get it from first to second then down again.

When I get home, I will play with first and maybe second around my neighborhood. Just going slow to learn the balance. Then take everyone's advice on the motorcycle safety class.

My ol man tells me that because of having a foot floor board. Remember to put my foot down when stopping. Haha im still thinking about the "clutch" being on my left hand vs. Having it on the floor. Im my rig I have floated my gears for years now. So it looks like I will be using a hand clutch now.

Looking forward to riding with my ol man. But I think I will want further tours then he may want.. I guess only time will tell.

Again appreciate the info

#6 ·
BlueridgeRider I agree about being lucky. It came to a shock to me too.

#8 ·

Could not get a picture to post. But I do have a short video of a walk around the bike running. haha. I have not had time to go for my permit yet so. hahaha All I have been dooing is rolling her back washing her and playing with first gear on a driveway incline back into the garage. haha. I need to find a new job and get out of trucking. Too many years away from the wife and our daughter. haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.