Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks! I already introduced myself in the new members section, just figured I'd drop a line here as well since I guess I'm one of y'all now.

You can read my full intro here if you want, but long story short: I bought a Vulcan - my first bike - three weeks ago, last weekend it dropped a valve in the front cylinder, and now I've got a new engine on the way. I'm doing all the work myself, so I suppose I'll use this thread to post updates on the progress and ask questions about any roadblocks I might run into.

For starters, once I get the "new" engine (from an '03 w/ ~25k miles), what should I look for as far as things I might want to adjust or replace before I install it? What should I check on the rest of the bike while I'm waiting? Or should I just go down the maintenance chart in the service manual and do everything to be safe? All suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few pics I took of the carnage from last weekend

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
thanks for the pictures, good luck with the rebuild, keep the forum posted on progress, the 800 is a great bike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks buddy! I've loved everything about the bike so far - except of course the aforementioned dropped valve, which I blame on the previous owner and myself for not giving it a thorough going-over after I bought it. But you live and you learn, right? Can't wait to get it back on the road!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the new engine in yesterday, looks promising so far! :grin2: Previous owner appears to have removed the EPA junk (unlike the PO of my bike), so at least it hasn't been recycling exhaust for 25k miles. Popped the lid off and measured valve clearances, two were a little out of spec so I've got some new shims on the way for those. Camshafts looked good, spark plugs looked happy, and best of all there's no holes in the pistons! I'm getting the shims overnighted so I can pop them in tomorrow and start installing the engine in the frame.

I got the bike with aftermarket exhaust, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to grampsize - I did the airbox mod yesterday, gonna do the carb work (new needle and jets) when I get home today.

Pics from last night:
-New engine on the left, old on the right
-Grampsized airbox
-Sloppy valve shim measurements, accidentally wrote down imperial units from the feeler gauges :doh:

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran into a couple hitches -- I ordered the Dynojet kit for the needle but the seller sent the wrong kit. Replacement should be coming today.

Broke a head cover bolt when I was torquing it down, luckily I was able to get it out without too much trouble with an easy out. Double luckily, it just so happens that I have a whole other engine for spare parts (minus one piston + head, and now one head cover bolt).

Got the engine mounted on Wednesday, hooked up everything but the carb and airbox. If all goes well I'll be able to knock those out today and fire her up!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She lives again!!! :grin2: Just got back from a test drive of about 10 miles, seems to be running just fine. Better than before, even - no hesitation, no exhaust pop on decel, more responsive. Today is a good day!!!! :beer:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Best think I did to mine was getting rid of that stock seat for a Mustang seat. You might want to consider that next, your bike looks great. Hope you have as much fun with it as I do with mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts