Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rather chilly ride up top of the world on the Parkway, but well worth it ! Took NC 80 all the way down to the parkway, went past the parkway so BlindKenny.com could take our pics, turned around at the bottom of the Black Mountain and rode BACK past BlindKenny a 2nd time. Jumped up on the Parkway there at 80, rode it all the way into Asheville.

After a break at the Waffle House in downtown Asheville, jumped on I-26 and hoofed it back to Johnson City. On the ride back, the sun FINALLY came out in force, perfect riding weather !! Noticed the usual groundhogs and deer on the shoulder.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Nice pix-that's on my bucket list of roads to ride someday. It's 1500 miles one way just for me to get there-one of these summers.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on down !

The wife and I come up to TN quite often to ride the Parkway and a LOT of truly back country twisties with next to no traffic. So much, we keep an apartment nearby vs staying in motels.
If you're serious about coming down, you have a standing offer of a free lunch in the area, as well as a guided tour. The more the merrier.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While not nearly as tall as the Rockies, every bit as beautiful ! The leaves have just turned colors, the pics don't do it justice. You've got to see it in person. We rode up into the clouds, then ABOVE the clouds, what a sight. If this is what the LORD can do in the physical realm, imagine what He has in store in Heaven.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well I am serious about making it down there someday, nothing planned at the moment. Very nice of you to offer a tour! Agree, views in Fall are spectacular and will be even more so in heaven.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cold weather will be here shortly, at times the Parkway will be CLOSED due to snow and ice. Several times during the winter when there is NO snow or ice, we'll bundle up and ride up there. Often times, we'll only go maybe 20 miles and come back down to the lower elevations to thaw out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We had to go down to NC a few weeks ago and finally decided to take the parkway,beautiful ride,stopped about every parking area to look at the scenery.Got off on rt 8 and man,what a twistie piece of road that is,down a ravine,back and forth,big sharp U turns.Heaven truly will be a glorious place

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
A rather chilly ride up top of the world on the Parkway, but well worth it ! Took NC 80 all the way down to the parkway, went past the parkway so BlindKenny.com could take our pics, turned around at the bottom of the Black Mountain and rode BACK past BlindKenny a 2nd time. Jumped up on the Parkway there at 80, rode it all the way into Asheville.

After a break at the Waffle House in downtown Asheville, jumped on I-26 and hoofed it back to Johnson City. On the ride back, the sun FINALLY came out in force, perfect riding weather !! Noticed the usual groundhogs and deer on the shoulder.
So, do you live in the area? Wife and i used to ride the BRP at least once a month all summer, every summer and venture off the little roads like 80. I need to get back down there, almost too late for this season

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts

Had I know you were out yesterday, would have hooked up and rode with you. Was looking for someone to ride with. I am just south of Ashville in the Highlands area. Wound up riding to Robinsville and Cherokee. Looks like today is going to be another good clear day to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Had I known you were in the area we could have ridden together. Was looking for someone to ride with yesterday. I am south of Ashville in the Highlands area. Went to Robinsville & Cherokee yesterday.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We'll be hanging around here for a short time before heading south to avoid the ice and snow. Riding today with a fella up on the TN / VA state line area, will probably ride back into western NC next weekend.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, VIRGINIA, thought you were in NC ! Yes, 8 takes you up to Floyd, LOTS of great country music shows, lots of bluegrass, check it out next time you're down / up there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts