Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just upgraded (maybe) from a 2005 800 classic to a 2001 1500FI Nomad. This bike is new to me, I brought it home with no problems, it did have a low idle problem which was quickly fixed(thanks gadget):). Just needed to clean out the throttle body. The only other thing I added to the bike was a back off flasher module. Now when I try to take it out, I let it warm up for a minute, try to go from neutral to first and the bike lunges forward and stalls. I have looked around the kickstand, I see a wire that looks ok to me. Any ideas?:confused:
Thanks for any input.

Bike starts up in neutral, with clutch lever held. Still holding clutch lever, shift to 1st....stalls. Seems like maybe it's a clutch issue. Feels like I'm forcing it into 1st.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, it sounds to me like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. My first thought would be to bleed the clutch fluid to make sure there are no tiny air bubbles in the line and take it from there. You certainly don't want to force it and risk jacking up your transmission though. I bought a super cheap 1500 because of tranny issues and it is a huge deal even if you're good with a wrench.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Try this:

1. Start and warm engine as usual.
2. Push kill switch.
3. Pull clutch and put in first gear.
4. With clutch still pulled, rock bike back and forth a good one until you feel/hear a clunk which is the clutch plates letting go.
5. Clutch still pulled, return kill switch to run position, start engine and ride off into the sunset.

If that does not work, post back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great ideas.
@kcducttaper, bleed it but don't have and pressure in line.

@sfair, Think you have found my problem. When I hold the clutch and rock the bike in gear, it doesn't want to move. So I assume I am not getting fluid to slave cylinder. I think the master needs rebuilt.:(
Sound right?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Not wanting to move is normal, but sitting in the seat and giving it a good push back and forth will not free them up?

Also, if you are going to the trouble of bleeding, change it as probably way overdue anyways.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered the master and slave rebuild kits. I believe this is what needs done.
Rocking the bike didn't do anything.

Thanks for your help. If it doesn't work I'll be back soon.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. No petroleum based products to touch ANY parts. You can use hot soapy water or rubber approved brake-clean products for cleaning. No solvents, rubbing alcohol, oils, etc.
2. Only brake approved lubes and greases, brake fluid for O-rings.
3. Avoid touching internal parts with bare hands.

If in doubt, please ask!

You might as well flush and replace both braking systems while you are at it. Probably waaay overdue. Above rules apply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great tips. Thanks.
I took the slave cylinder apart. OMG. There was a pile of crap in there. Cleaned it all out. Bled the clutch. Voila, I now have my clutch working again.
I plan on rebuilding them when the kits arrive. There is a lot I still need to do but at least I can ride it now. Going to flush and change all fluids, put new universal joint in, rebuild clutch,lube and grease everything. This will be done in time. Hopefully sooner than later.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Check that master cylinder relief port is not plugged or you could find yourself 50 miles from home with NO clutch.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Take the top off of the master cylinder and peer down to the bottom. There you will see two very small holes. Run something through them to make sure they are clear. I prefer a nylon bristle. ( do not do any damage)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts