Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm wondering where I could find the "neutral switch". I'm having the issue where the neutral light was sort of pulsing, then went out completely. I took the speedo off completely and checked the lights, which are good.

My understanding is that the neutral switch or something else may need to be checked and or replaced. Is this correct? I have the service manual pdf, but it's very difficult to search and navigate on my phone, thus me asking for help here.

Thank you

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hi guys

I'm wondering where I could find the "neutral switch". I'm having the issue where the neutral light was sort of pulsing, then went out completely. I took the speedo off completely and checked the lights, which are good.

My understanding is that the neutral switch or something else may need to be checked and or replaced. Is this correct? I have the service manual pdf, but it's very difficult to search and navigate on my phone, thus me asking for help here.

Thank you
bn, the gear position indicator PIN is located in the final gear drive housing underneath several covers. If you get this far into your motor, go ahead and change the gears while your there.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa. Guess I'll just live with having to pull the clutch in to start the bike and making sure it's in neutral. I think I'd rather live without a neutral light than know what that'll cost to pay someone to fix. Lol

The bike only has 4,500 miles on it. Is it typical for the neutral light issue to occur with that low of miles??

Or is it time based, being it's about 10 years old?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bn, chances are this is not yor problem. Check electric connector coming out of this cover rear lower. It mite be just yor lite has failed? Check connectors left side of motor between cylinders they feed the dash panel. It mite be something simple, many trubles are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poncho, I think you're right. It may not be that problem...

After thinking about it, the Harley dealership I bought the bike from did an oil change for me, complimentary, when I bought it.

When I test drove the bike before the oil change, the neutral light worked the whole time. After the did the oil change, the neutral light stopped working after about an hour of riding. Note: I have no idea what type of oil they used.

I've read on this forum that sometimes when is oil is a little bit too low, the neutral light won't go on. Is this true?

My oil dipstick shows everything below the textured part is oil, but no oil on the textured part. Maybe I should add a little bit more oil?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the Harley dealership I bought the bike from did an oil change for me, complimentary, when I bought it.

When I test drove the bike before the oil change, the neutral light worked the whole time. After the did the oil change, the neutral light stopped working after about an hour of riding. Note: I have no idea what type of oil they used. oil?
if I bought a used bike from a hardley joint, I would immediately drain all the oil and put a new filter and 5qts of new 20/50 syn oil. I don't trust anybody but myself for important stuff, and particularly not a hardley joint. Been ther done that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How did you take the speedo off? I need to check the neutral light in my vn2000. Does the tank have to be removed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts