Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chain isn't out but I'll need a new one soon. Can anyone recommend a good chain that isn't too costly? if it's realistic, I'm looking for under $100.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i was going to recommend the BikeMaster 530 BMXR Series X-Ring Chain Natural 112 , good chain

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
because you said a chain that isn't too costly and I don't think the BikeMaster is under $100

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh. it's actually exactly what I need. looked it up and found it for well under 100. thank you

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
by the way, that BikeMaster 530 chain does not use the clip-on to pin method, it uses the riveting method, you will need a riveting tool, similar this one here DID KM 500 Chain Cutting and Riveting Tool

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
first I would consider if you want your chain to be the clip type or the rivet type, if clip type you buy a chain link with the clip, and the clip open end faces the rear when on top of the chain

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Should consider changing your sprockets with the chain. Worn sprockets can wear a new chain much quicker, and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
but the front sprocket on the 800 is not easy to change, the rear not so bad, i did both front and rear, not sure the front was all that bad but someone told me to change the front sprocket, and I must say that getting that nut off was not an easy task, not sure if I re-used the lock washer under the nut or bought a new one, i forget now, but I torqued the nut I think to 94 foot-pounds, I didn't torque the rear sprocket nuts just used my electric impact wrench and snugged those up tight, i kept the front sprocket 17 and changed the rear one from the 41 on there to a 40

·
Registered
17 Posts
down here in south tx i stay away from o-ring chain they don't last any time its the sand . find an industrial supply house and buy a box of 530 it will be 10' long should be almost 2 chains long. a harley you need another 12" + a couple of master links . a box cost me 50.00+tax.
my dear old dad would take that chain and cook it in 90 wt gear oil on the stove for 30 min. and then hang it up for a week before installing it on his bike it would sling oil for a week then no more mess only saw him change that chain once he rode the bike most every day to work

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
oh , that's a good point, sand on o-rings, maybe ask if he rides on dirt/gravel/sand areas or just paved

1 - 11 of 11 Posts