Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a proud owner of a set of FPE True Duals, and love the sound and associated performance enhancements. However my wife who ride with me often thinks they are too loud and was happy with the Tri-Ovals, but as is often said, if the wife is not happy we are not happy. I called Freedom Performance about their quiet baffle (Part #:AC00013) and was told the noise range is 85-88 decibels, which in my opinion is too quiet. Has anyone tried to lower the disciples on the MK00008 by a tad and if so how was this accomplished?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Folks need your in
I'm a proud owner of a set of FPE True Duals and love the sound and associated performance enhancements, however my wife who ride with me often thinks they are too loud and was happy with Tri-Ovals and as is often said, if the wife is not happy we are not happy. I called Freedom Performance about their quiet baffle (Part #:AC00013) and was told the noise range is 85-88 decibels, which in my opinion is too quiet.
The only time Mine seem loud is when I pull the trailer behind the bike and the sound bounces back from that. Just a thought. Foam earplugs at 99 cents for the wife to try. Lot cheaper than the baffles. My wife has never said ours was to loud And I am deaf in one ear. LOL quite a guy to say not to loud HuH! LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The only time Mine seem loud is when I pull the trailer behind the bike and the sound bounces back from that. Just a thought. Foam earplugs at 99 cents for the wife to try. Lot cheaper than the baffles. My wife has never said ours was to loud And I am deaf in one ear. LOL quite a guy to say not to loud HuH! LOL
LOL.... Thanks for the feedback. I thought of the earplugs but she will have problems hearing me over the intercom on trips. However if I can't find any other solution earplugs it will have to be. I should also add that she can hear leafs in a windstorm while sitting in the family room watching TV, yes very sensitive ears.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I don't think you should lower the disciples onto them pipes as it may burn their butts. I quiet mine by staying out of the throttle that very seldom ever happens.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you should lower the disciples onto them pipes as it may burn their butts. I quiet mine by staying out of the throttle that very seldom ever happens.
Yeah, I tried that but when we hit the mountains two up you have choice but to throttle up and that's when I get the poke in my side. lol

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Yeah, I tried that but when we hit the mountains two up you have choice but to throttle up and that's when I get the poke in my side. lol
I have never removed the baffles from My pipes to see what they look like. You might be able to wrap them a little to tone them down. I love the sound I have so I have never even been curious to remove and see what they sound like. Good luck. Maybe someone here will have a great answer for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have never removed the baffles from My pipes to see what they look like. You might be able to wrap them a little to tone them down. I love the sound I have so I have never even been curious to remove and see what they sound like. Good luck. Maybe someone here will have a great answer for you.

All your suggestions are great but already explored. :) They are wrapped with fiberglass and covered with a heat resistant plastic. There is a very small portion towards the header that is not wrapped, which I wrapped with stove rope and it did tone it down a bit but not enough. I'm thinking about inserting an EMT pipe down the middle at various sizes to see if that helps, but want to see if anyone came up with a better solution to appease their nagging wife. I will be a dead man if she reads this. lol...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes take the baffles out and wrap them with steel wool a couple wraps then reinstall them I actually took off the fiberglass from the factory baffles it was to quiet. Or just get a set of earplugs your wife wont hear the pipes and you wont hear her.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes take the baffles out and wrap them with steel wool a couple wraps then reinstall them.
I like this idea, but that would mean removing the heat resistant plastic and fiberglass to get to the steel wool. Is it possible to get these materials to re-rap the baffle after adding the steel wool and, where can I get an adequate amount of steel wool for this project?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I like this idea, but that would mean removing the heat resistant plastic and fiberglass to get to the steel wool. Is it possible to get these materials to re-rap the baffle after adding the steel wool and, where can I get an adequate amount of steel wool for this project?
Any hardware store should have steel wool then rewrap with fiberglass pipe wrap.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd highly recommend earplugs... we both use moulded into the ear ones, and with the Sena turned up full volume we have absolutely no problem hearing each other at all.

Or you could just bolt or weld some of these drag pipe baffles inside the F&P ones somewhere, and bend some of the tabs out of the way until you have exactly the tone you want. They were exactly what I needed for the V&H Cruzers on my 800.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The FPE'S are a little loud. I like them but they get on my nerves with all of that noise at times. I'm going to order the quiet baffles for 129.00 pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
So basically, the pipes are too loud for your wife who is sitting in front of them.

Who gives a &*%) about the people you are riding past, or who are following behind you.

You guys give all motorcyclists a bad reputation with your obnoxiously loud pipes. (shakes head back and forth)

Just put the damn baffles in there. Your not gaining any real performance anyway. Just feels like it because you are getting on the throttle more so you can make sure everyone is looking at you.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
So basically, the pipes are too loud for your wife who is sitting in front of them.

Who gives a &*%) about the people you are riding past, or who are following behind you.

You guys give all motorcyclists a bad reputation with your obnoxiously loud pipes. (shakes head back and forth)

Just put the damn baffles in there. Your not gaining any real performance anyway. Just feels like it because you are getting on the throttle more so you can make sure everyone is looking at you.
Actually you are gaining quite abit of performance with the True Dual's with the standard baffles vs the quiet baffles. I have both and the quiet baffles are very restrictive, there is a small secondary baffle welded into the end of them at the outlet. I don't see where he mentioned removing and running without baffles anyways. Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about those pipes being too loud as long as your wife can get comfy.....don't hear too much whining about all the loud cars/trucks, etc also. A lot of the chipped up diesel's running around are ridiculous....not to mention the black smoke they insist on belching when taking off. Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Wow, seriously??? If in fact you are serious then you explained the reasons you as an individual would use these exhaust or not, but know with no doubt, your position on this is not representative of the general motorcyclist population. Not everyone is driven by ego or a desire for speed, perceived or otherwise. The best I can say is live and let live, be blessed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually you are gaining quite abit of performance with the True Dual's with the standard baffles vs the quiet baffles. I have both and the quiet baffles are very restrictive, there is a small secondary baffle welded into the end of them at the outlet. I don't see where he mentioned removing and running without baffles anyways. Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about those pipes being too loud as long as your wife can get comfy.....don't hear too much whining about all the loud cars/trucks, etc also. A lot of the chipped up diesel's running around are ridiculous....not to mention the black smoke they insist on belching when taking off. Just my opinion
Thank you!!!!!! and well said.

So would you say the quiet baffles are extremely quiet? The listed decibels suggest they are too quiet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts