Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like a daunting task but I did my seat about two years ago. I bought the Saddlemen K602 for the later EN500 on eBay but Amazon has it as well. Tried to post a link but I'm too new and it won't let me.

I found out the hard way that the spring loaded staple guns are completely worthless for this job. You'll need a pneumatic staple gun to push the staples fully into the plastic seat base. Harbor Freight has many for under $20.00. The Saddlemen cover looks better than original and comes with a sheet of memory foam that should NOT be left out! The seat feel is night and day from original. My butt feels like it is being gently caressed the entire time I'm riding. :laugh2:

My first attempt with the spring loaded staple gun was total failure. Probably spent 3 hours trying to get it right. Gave up and ran to Harbor Fright for the pneumatic gun and was done in about 45 minutes. That included pulling out the 3,000 staples I tried to use from the crappy gun. If I had to do it again it would take maybe 30 minutes including removal of the seat and the old cover. So simple I can't believe I put it off as long as I did. Keep in mind I've NEVER done any upholstery work of any kind before.

OFJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
It seems like a daunting task but I did my seat about two years ago. I bought the Saddlemen K602 for the later EN500 on eBay but Amazon has it as well. Tried to post a link but I'm too new and it won't let me.

OFJ

That’s really good info. I’ve been looking for a more comfortable seat and that sounds like it will solve my problem.

TedH
09 Vulcan 500 LTD
Amherstburg,Ontario
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s really good info. I’ve been looking for a more comfortable seat and that sounds like it will solve my problem.

TedH
09 Vulcan 500 LTD
Amherstburg,Ontario

It really is amazing how much difference in comfort that 1"(?) sheet of included memory foam makes. I tried to use a 2" thick piece and there really isn't room for it unfortunately.

OFJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked up that seat cover on amazon, it doesnt look anything like what the seat on my bike should look like, I wonder if they just screwed up the photo.

Do you have any pics of the seat with the new cover? My seat is in good shape, but my butt starts to feel it about a half hour into a ride. I'm wondering if I could just get some 1" foam and stick it on top of the current foam and see how that feels. Or I could get some sort of top mounted pad, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up that seat cover on amazon, it doesnt look anything like what the seat on my bike should look like, I wonder if they just screwed up the photo.

Do you have any pics of the seat with the new cover? My seat is in good shape, but my butt starts to feel it about a half hour into a ride. I'm wondering if I could just get some 1" foam and stick it on top of the current foam and see how that feels. Or I could get some sort of top mounted pad, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Yeah, the cover they always show is for the early version. I even emailed Saddlemen about that but they can't do anything about the lazy retailers that won't use the proper photos. Those wrong pictures is what made me hold of ordering for so long. Order K602 for the latest EN500 and it'll be the right cover.

It took a while but I finally found the old pictures. See below. Sorry about the tiny pictures. Forum doesn't allow over 98kb file size. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ended up replacing my seat cover over the winter. The Saddle cover was around $109 from FortNine. I ordered the one that fits up to 2006 but it fit my 09 perfectly. Even on a short 30 mile trip to. Work I can feel the difference so I’m hoping 2-3 hour trips won’t be so painful now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts