Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going for a ride for the first time after the pandemic started, it is clear to me now that the chain has over stretched in an odd way.
The rear wheel gets really hard to turn, then easy, then hard and so on.
Upon closer inspection after cleaning and lubricating and getting the bike up off the ground on stands, it is clear that the force to spin the rear wheel increases when a single link (cleaned and lubed) fails to mesh with the rear sprocket correctly.

What chain and sprocket sets are people happy with?

To level set, cheapcycleparts.com sells all the OEM stuff for a total of $327.

Sprocketcenter.com has a couple options, both less than half the cost.

Don't mind paying the higher price if it is worth it, but to be honest I am not very impressed with the OEM chain.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I went with DID VX2 520 120 link (check link count). Ognibene silent sprockets 15/46
I tried fitting a rivet joiner link but it wasn't worth the hassle. I over tightened the pins and damaged an o-ring. Replaced it with a clip style joiner and it was alot easier and still reliable.

The OEM chain was very good quality (over 48,000km) but I decide to save some money on something cheaper and locally available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After going for a ride for the first time after the pandemic started, it is clear to me now that the chain has over stretched in an odd way.
Upon closer inspection after cleaning and lubricating and getting the bike up off the ground on stands, it is clear that the force to spin the rear wheel increases when a single link (cleaned and lubed) fails to mesh with the rear sprocket correctly.

Don't mind paying the higher price if it is worth it, but to be honest I am not very impressed with the OEM chain.

Thanks for any advice.
How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike has 11k miles. Bought it 3 years ago with 400. Checked chain tension, cleaned and lubricated every 2 weeks. Always checking chain alignment. Looks dead onto to my eye using a motion pro alignment tool.

In first gear on the stand the motor bogs due to the variable force needed to spin the wheel.

Was thinking of loosening the chain, and trying to reset, but it is clear from my observation that the same link (I marked it) keeps no aligning. There are a few that do this. Simply don't mesh.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just changed my for a JT Sprockets z3 chain and a JT 43T rear sprocket. I used a cheap rivet tool from eBay. Worked fine, just have to take your time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Images or links to the tool and the chain and sprockets?
I have never changed a chain and sprocket before so any hand holding you can provide is appreciated.
I am normally a car guy so working on bikes is a bit of a different world, but I have done everything from roll cages to engine swaps.
Just want to make sure I order everything I need.

Does the new chain come with the link that closes it? Do all chains come broken and you close them?
I know there are rivet style and clip style masters links. This is just a cruiser that romps around town. Seems to me that a clip on master link is much easier to deal with no?

Finally pricing for sprockets seems to be all over the place when looking at OEM vs aftermarket stuff. Just want to be sure I am getting a quality part. That is why I want to see if anyone has links.
I tried googling some of the part #s people have listed only to not find websites to order the damn thing. I must be missing something. Adding nitrouse to my camaro seems easier than this! (And I am sure it's not.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to take the covers off the front sprocket in an attempt to get a better look at things. Also to see if the front sprocket does in fact have that rubber ring.
It does.
After cleaning everything up I decided to loosen the chain and spin the wheel tighten a half turn, spin the wheel, etc...
Seems to be on the loose end of the spec. (20mm) total slack and spinning OK. Going to go turn it on in 1st to see how the motor spins the wheel.

Called a big motorcycle (used) dealer and a Kawi distributor. Both couldn't look up correct info on the chain and sprockets for the bike.
First guy sounded like he didn't know a thing about bikes.... Ugh....
Second guy knew his stuff, but his computer and parts book didn't have the link count. (120) Of course I could have ordered thru either, or online.
Since this wasn't a "I got it in stock" sort of situation I decided to troubleshoot a bit more.

Will update later.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the workshop manual and have downloaded all the part diagrams from Kawasaki but Partzilla is my best friend for a quick reference.
120 links is correct to properly fit a 15t/46t sprocket set.
I'll look up the Ognibene sprocket part numbers when I get home this afternoon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What I’m currently running is all aftermarket:
Amazon:
JT Sprockets JTF565.15RB $13.11
Sunstar 2-335643 43-T $37.85

The stock size on the rear is 46 tooth:
Sunstar 2-335646 46-T $41.53

The chain, breaker/rivet tool, and an extra master link (just in case) came from eBay:
JT 520 z3 120 link $65.01
Chain breaker and rivet tool $25
Extra master link 7.33

The chain did come with a rivet type master link. I think JT’s X1R3 series chain comes with both rivet and clip type link. As for the reliability of one over another, I’m sure there are more experienced riders on this board that can offer an opinion. This is the first chain I’ve replaced and the rivet just seemed like the more correct option.

I did have an issue breaking the counter sprocket nut loose when I swapped out the front sprocket when I first got the bike. At that time, I torqued it to spec and coated it with moly, so I didn’t expect an issue when I went to change the chain. Frozen solid. No corrosion, just would. not. budge. Tried breaker bars, impact wrenches... both times I had to cut a slot along the edge of the nut to relieve pressure and then it came off smooth as butter. But the new nut and folding washer cost about $40 on Partzilla. I know others have swapped out their sprocket with no issue. The first time, I figured it was over torqued from the factory. The second time, I know it was not. Anyway... the moral of the story is give that front sprocket a close inspection. I know many guys will run one front sprocket to two chains. The rear will show more wear because it’s usually a softer metal.

Good luck

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the workshop manual and have downloaded all the part diagrams from Kawasaki but Partzilla is my best friend for a quick reference.
120 links is correct to properly fit a 15t/46t sprocket set.
I'll look up the Ognibene sprocket part numbers when I get home this afternoon.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Thanks for any advice.
First of all,How much riding do you do? I got the RK MX chain for my bike(o ring of course),I think I paid arond$90-95bucks for mine on e bay/as far as sprockets go/Rear I try to go w/the SUNSTAR-Thats what my Mechanic recomends,front sprockets theres a whole whopping choices to choose from\&as far as the longevity of the stock chains?-I literally got @least 25000 miles off of mine-Save up for a Good chain&sprockets:if you want them to Last,keep that chain lubed on a Regular basis:) RIDE SAFE&BE WELL:)
:geek: (y) (y) (y) o_O o_O

1 - 13 of 13 Posts