Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on the forums and couldn't seem to find this. I need to replace the brake pads on both front and rear for for 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom. Does anyone know of a how-to guide for this?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Its really a simple job for the most part. pull 2 bolts, remove the caliper, pull off the old pads, snap in the new pads, open the fluid resivour[sp] you will need to squeeze the caliper back open to slide it back onto the rotor, tighten the 2 bolts to spec, check the fluid level before you put the cover back on, pump the breaks a few times to bring them back up, should be done. Ride out slowly for the first few feet and check both before you head out on the road. Ride safe, have fun.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Any thoughts on what type of brake pad to use??

I've read looooong debates about this in other forums, and most of it is N/A for our style of bike, but since the rotors on our bikes are so thin, I was thinking that "organic" or "low metallic" might be better for (VN) motorcycle applications than the semi-metallic - despite the fact that you get more dust from the organic pads.
I've actually seen "ceramic composite" and "bronze sintered" pads for the VN(I might try ceramics for my V-Rod!) but they seem a bit "overkillish" for our bikes.

Just curoius....:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. This is the first time I've changed brakes on a motorcycle before and I don't want to screw this up. :eek:

Does anyone have pictures of this operation?

·
Registered
343 Posts
The bolt that holds the pads on is not really a bolt ,has a R pin in back.Like was said it easy don;t even need to remove wheel to do back.

My rear was gone @ just under 19,000,I put sintered on that my dealer had ,name Vesrah & are made in Japan.Will probably change the front when I change the tire @years end

1 - 5 of 5 Posts