Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it looks like Pensacola is a LOT wetter than I'm used to...

I'm looking for rain gear to wear to get to and from work with these afternoon thunderstorms. I will be riding in my flight suit and boots, so I'm looking for gear to wear over this. The most important part for me is that I can don and remove the gear over my boots/flight suit, because we're not allowed in any buildings in civilian gear. Ideally, I'd like something inexpensive as well. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I like frogg toggs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Frogg Togg bib ($20) with a waterproof jacket ($150). Bib opens up nice at bottom so boots can fit through. Jacket is good because high vis and protection.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Phoenix-Motorcycle-Riding/dp/B0037VXOU2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433289168&sr=8-2&keywords=joe+rocket+motorcycle+jacket[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Advantage-Black-X-Large/dp/B006ZOYJAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433289234&sr=8-1&keywords=frogg+toggs+bib[/ame]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rhyno Rainsuits are very good, I picked one up on ebay cheap and love it, easy to get in and out of, folds up nice and small, light, and keeps me very dry.

Looks like its about 80 bucks US on amazon and other sites for the 2 piece suit. so I dunno if this is in your price range or not.

I've also got a backup set I pieced together from chain stores, coleman jacket, and walmart rain pants. 40 for the jacket, 20 for the rain pains, while they are better than nothing, the rhyno suit is a HUGE step up for the 20 bucks difference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Frog Togg is good just remember that if they brush up against a hot pipe they will melt. I always wear a pair of chaps that I treated and waterproofed on the outside of the Frog Toggs.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I like frogg togs.. said the frogg
academy has em for $39 set of Jacket n Pance.. since theyr for fishing they don't have the lime green, but get the lite brown is highly visible.
do put some cover thing on yor rite leg by the pipes to keep them from touch n melt.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
frogs togs are well ... cheap .... if you are going to ride a lot in the rain, buy a good set of waterproof touring pants and jacket / 1 pce suit, they aint cheap, but they are waterproof , do not melt, can come with zip in / out liners for all seasons, have body armor and they will last you for years. How do I know ... I have em.

There are various styles avail for different temperature conditions. Any of my buddies that bought frog togs never got a full riding season out of them. If you are using them on a daily basis you will need something durable.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
frogs togs are well ... cheap ....
if you are going to ride a lot in the rain, buy a good set of waterproof touring pants and jacket / 1 pce suit.
yes they are. they are designed for sport fishermen and other non mc duty. they are not meant for HD rain mc duty, day in day out.. but then neither is riding a m/c in the rain.

I have a set that has lasted me... 8yrs. I probly wear it a couple times a year at most and it is XL so it goes over my already tech jacket or leathers and other gear. if I go down, Im not counting on this cheap disposable rain gear for protection.
the upside is that it is LITE and breathable, unlike so many expensive-protective rain gear. You will not sweat like a stuck pig in yor own humidity. and they do fold down small enough to fit a small pouch and don't add weight to yor gear.. they also are usefull give substantial wind protection when needed on a unexpected chilly eve ride home.
So.. YES, get the rite gear for the rite purpose.. frogg toggs are just a stopgap solution for lite duty occasional use. it doesn't rain all day, every day in fla..

·
Registered
894 Posts
I wear the Frog Toggs, Road Toggs - have worn them through heavy down pours and day long steady drizzles . . . and I've been high and dry on the inside.My current set has lasted me over 4 years and cost me around $50.

I also have a walmart Frogg Toggs set that I take camping with me and my Scout Troop. While only $20, they have kept me dry through many a rainy week/week end camp out. They pack tight . . . but they are thinner than the Road Toggs . . . But for occasional use I'm sure they'd fit the bill . . . If you do burn a hole in them with the pipes, duct tape fixes it . . .

·
Registered
529 Posts
Something that folds up super small so you always have it with you. Best rain gear in the world is useless if it's at home.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Something that folds up super small so you always have it with you. Best rain gear in the world is useless if it's at home.
Agreed, I even carry a walmart 2$ rain poncho in my toolbag for just such occasions when I am caught out and it rains when it says it wont :p. granted I'll have wet legs, but the top half being dry is better than no half.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it looks like it's between the Rhyno Rain Suit and Frogg Toggs. For those with experience with these two, both can be pulled on and off over size 12 combat boots? lol. This is HUGELY important, because as I said, I'm not even allowed in the building in anything but my uniform, and I can't be taking my boots off in the parking lot, in the rain...

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
As already suggested Frogg Toggs. We have had to use these many times and have remained warm and dry always. Don't get the cloth type ones, they rip easily. I tore a hole in the crotch on the cloth pair I have trying to get my boot through. They have been sewn and are in the bags of the Vulcan just for rains sake. Make sure it has a nylon outer shell. I have both types and these are the best. Just get the right size. Make sure its the "Highway" type!!!

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
So it looks like it's between the Rhyno Rain Suit and Frogg Toggs. For those with experience with these two, both can be pulled on and off over size 12 combat boots? lol. This is HUGELY important, because as I said, I'm not even allowed in the building in anything but my uniform, and I can't be taking my boots off in the parking lot, in the rain...
The FroggToggs (previous post) open up at the bottom like chaps. Zippers and Velcro storm flap. Made to be worn over all riding gear including leathers. Lots of places open up with zippers and Velcro storm flaps for easy on easy off. Although nothing is easy when your already getting stormed on. But once your in the suits its all good.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
can be pulled on and off over size 12 combat boots? ...
tex, the frogg toggs have a zipper on the bottom outside of each pant leg. it makes getting them on easier when standing in the rain, side of the road. mine are XL so I can pull them over my protective ride gear..
getting them off, its doable. not as ez. sitting down is helpful. but I am older. and sitting down helps everything am doing these daze. its that or falling down. poncho

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
tex, the frogg toggs have a zipper on the bottom outside of each pant leg. it makes getting them on easier when standing in the rain, side of the road. mine are XL so I can pull them over my protective ride gear..
getting them off, its doable. not as ez. sitting down is helpful. but I am older. and sitting down helps everything am doing these daze. its that or falling down. poncho
Great minds think alike Ponch. We must have been posting at the same time. Had I seen yours first I would have just held my tongue. :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a 13, no problems - Froggs

·
BOTM Winner, February 2015
83 Posts
I have a set of Nelson Riggs. Reasonably priced, fold up small, work great. Had them on only once but it was a heavy rain. Kept me dry. What more could ya ask for?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just remember not to put frog toggs in the dryer. They dont call me scrunchy pants for nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts