Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase a 2015 Vulcan Classic 900 LT. The MSRP is $8999 + destination. What would be a GOOD price including everything except tax? I have 2 dealers in my area and plan on buying from whichever gives me the best deal. I'm not concerned about service as I intend to handle that myself.
I just don't know where to start from.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can probably find 13' and 14' years models that are new/old stock for alot cheaper, they haven't been run yet, i see you are in florida, i just traded in my 9 for a nomad in ocala, the 9 is a 2012 classic se, great shape, probably get that for $5500....ride on...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I can save big bucks by buying used. But it's much harder to finance used over new. Right now I can get 0% financing on new. Plus, over the years I've had terrible luck buying used. I also like the fact that new gives you a 24 mo warranty.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah. Look for new old stock. Kawasaki dealers always have them if you look. You can find a brand new, financed as new, with full warranty 2013 or 2014 model. I just bought a brand new 2014 Vaquero.

·
Registered
702 Posts
OB I would definitely take your time and look for leftover NEW models. You will save a lot of money...I'm pretty sure warranty is the same, bike is the same etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh, don't worry, I fully intend to hunt down every 13 and 14 model I can find. So what sort of deals have any of you gotten?

Hey Blockhead.....I moved to FL from Monroeville back in 87. Have an Iron City for me will ya

·
Registered
41 Posts
prices

really, find a used bike. there are so many low mile kawis for sale it is crazy.

pick a dollar amount and find the best bike you can find. kawi or any in the style you are looking for. of course only kawi cruisers are decent looking and cheap, so look
kawasaki!!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
OB,
I have been a sales manager at several car dealerships in my previous life...
Before being baptised and forcing out all the larceny in my blood...

So here is some kind Christian advice...

Sales is all about profit...
DON'T negotiate from MSRP down...
Negotiate from dealer cost up !!!
There are places on the internet that you can get free or purchase the invoice for cars...and bikes.
The price you pay to get the "invoice" will be worth it...
There may be additional incentives from Kaw as well...
Find out about these too.

Now armed with this info, pick out the one you want at each dealership...
Don't make an offer...
Instead, ask them what is the minimum amount of "profit" that is acceptable...
Do this in a kind, but business-like manner and you will set yourself up for your best deal.

Check this out at BOTH dealerships...BOTH!!!
REGARDLESS of how "great" the deal seems !!!
Don't make an emotional decision...
Then weigh the pros and cons of each...
Make an informed, rational decision.

25+ years of management and if I had 10% of customers come in with this strategy I would have less gray hair!!!

Good Luck !!!!
Luckymann77

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the insightful advice Luckyman. Fortunately for me I have a friend that used to be a new car salesman. I own a Lawn Service Company and one of my customers is now retired but used to own a new car dealership near Chicago. He has also given me some sage advice. I know that almost all salesmen will have a 5x7 of their wife and kids on their desk facing the buyer. I also know the best time to buy is about an hour before closing on the last day of the month (New Years Eve being the BEST time to buy). As for emotions, I have walked out of several dealerships when buying a new vehicle. But in the end I know that to stay in business everyone has to make a profit. So if I can get a deal that I feel gets over on the dealer I'm happy, even thought in reality he probably feels he got over on me. When all is said and done it's a win - win situation for both of us. I'm sure though, that other people reading this post can learn from your advice. Let's hope so! Thank you again.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
With you being in Fla. they must be priced higher. I just saw a 2015 900 LT this past week brand new with the tag marked at 8199.00 that a pretty serious difference and since I have bought from this shop before I know they have some of the lowest cost destination and prep fees I have seen. I know I could get very close to that being an out the door price if I really wanted that bike. I would keep shopping at 8999+ as that is too much and some dealerships really hit you with the fees they charge.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Yup I couldn't imagine buying a 900 for $9K, and then have to do all the same mods I already have done on my '08 (paid $3100 with 12k miles, just broke in). Especially when they are basically the same exact bike, except for the new seat on the new 900's, LOL (which would still have to go). Low mileage used, or new old stock is the way to go. How many of us who have bought new with 2/yr warranty have actually needed to use it? These bikes run great. Only reason mine has ever been to the shop is for tires and maintenance when I didn't have the time. Oh yeah and the valve adjustment, still maintenance tho. I get the fact that some just want to go new. I bought a new car once, glad I did for the experience, but would never do it again.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Even brand new, paying sticker shouldn't happen. These move FAST and dealers like that. They make deals all the time. My local dealer has 15's listed for $8,499 right now and '14 new old-stock leftovers for $7,999; and I am positive one could get them out the door less than that. And of course, gently used is a great deal and gently used 900's are NOT in short supply.

Motorcycling, as a whole, is growing. Look how many people on this forum started riding in the last few years versus those who have been riding for decades; and it's all age groups. Since the 80's, Motorcycling has grown year after year, and is currently growing as fast as it ever has. That means that beginner and intermediate bikes are going to be in very high demand, AND the used market is going to be flooded with them, often with low miles. In a couple of years, the Vulcan 650 S is going to be fire-saled in the corner of every dealer in America like the 900 is now. Every Kawasaki dealer has a 900, and probably a handful of used ones cheap. Low miles, something someone hopped on and rode for a while to figure out what they wanted in a motorcycle. Some stuck with the 900 for a long time of course (and for good reason); but there is NO shortage of low-mile, well cares for used 900's and you could get one OTD for $5k without even trying.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I bought a brand new '14 900 Classic LT in June. I paid well under list, and found one a week later even lower at another dealer. Given the number of '14s that are still out there well below list if you look, I would definitely consider a '14 or use one to bargain.

It's a GREAT BIKE (at least for me). I showed a pic to a woman that has a $27,000 Harley (forget which one), and she was jealous when I told her the price.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts