Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing a USB power outlet and mount for my Iphone, but, i'm unsure of which type of mount or USB plug to use and were to mount it without it looking "cheesey".
Anyone, who has already done this or has some good ideas, please chime in, and pics are always a plus, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im working on a winter project to put on a usb charger. I went to autozone and got a two foot 12 v cig lighter type extension , a usb to 12 v adapter and an inline fuse. The plan is to cut the male end of the extension off add the fuse inline and then wire it to the aux power wires in the headlight. You can google the wire colors. I plan to run the extension out the back of the headlight and put it inside my handle bar mounted tool bag w my iphone. I'll send pics when i get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I put a 12v outlet under the right side of my tank and got a 12v to USB adapter, which I have never actually used on the bike. The outlet is pretty well tucked away to keep it from being an eyesore.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 1500 classic and there is the leather tank tie with a small pouch in it. I was thinking about running a usb under it from under the seat and make a small hole in the back for the cord. Any ideas if that sounds like a decent idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
I placed a 12v outlet behind the right side passenger foot peg and wired it directly to the battery. I ride with my android in my vest, so I plug in my car charger and then run it into my vest to keep it charged. I also use this outlet for when I camp.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
i was going to do a similar thing. expect i was going to get a tank bib with pouch. and then run the charger into the pouch.

but great idea ^^
That's what I was thinking about doing. That way the wire is hidden and neat. What's the smallest that I can get? My battery area is already packed tight. The only extra room I have is the storage tray behind the left cover.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was thinking about cutting an area out of my right hand storage box (98 vn800) and installing a marine plug so I could set my phone in there if I was in need of charge. And also because I intend to bike camp in the coming spring. That way, its out of the way, doesn't look silly but there if I need it.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
that would work perfectly

I was thinking about cutting an area out of my right hand storage box (98 vn800) and installing a marine plug so I could set my phone in there if I was in need of charge. And also because I intend to bike camp in the coming spring. That way, its out of the way, doesn't look silly but there if I need it.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App
this is a good idea too. the only reason i havent done that is because i dont really feel safe about having wires hanging around when riding. but for a camping night, it would be perfect. post pics up if you do it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Using the battery tender pigtail is a great idea. When you are parking it for a few days just unplug the charger and plug in the tender. I ordered a small usb plug in for the 12v port. It has 2 usb ports on it. I will run 1 wire under the seat and up under the bib to the back of the pouch and still have an extra usb port for charging my Bluetooth headsets when I'm out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have one of these : http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php The guy will cut the wire to whatever length you want, and it has the pig-tail already there. I just plug this into the Tender wire to use, and disconnect when I want to use the tender.

doc

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a kurakyn power point that i was gonna install on another bike, maybe i will use it on the Vulcan instead, i was hoping to find something a little more stealthy, but, how do you insure that you are not exceeding the recommended 1Amp output?, and how are you holding your phones on the bike? Without it looking to bulky and ugly, sticking out?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Power point

Just recently bought a Kuryakyn Power Point. I'll have it installed this spring. Should look great and it appears to be waterproof. There are 12 volt sockets that connect to the battery tender pigtails but I got one and it doesn't look like it would hold up under the weather.

Cheap on Phat Performance Parts. :D

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Kuryakyn_Handlebar_Electrical_Power_Point_1_Inch_p/1423.htm
I did the same thing. Went to Best Buy and bought a dual output USB cigarette lighter thing and power my GPS and my camera without any issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have a kurakyn power point that i was gonna install on another bike, maybe i will use it on the Vulcan instead, i was hoping to find something a little more stealthy, but, how do you insure that you are not exceeding the recommended 1Amp output?, and how are you holding your phones on the bike? Without it looking to bulky and ugly, sticking out?
I have a bib/tie that has a pouch between the cluster and seat. I am going to run the wire under the leather to the pouch and make a small hole so it runs through then just plug jn the phone and close the flap. As for the charger I have a small storage area behind the left cover where the Kawasaki tool kit is. That's where I have the pigtail for the battery tender now. Between my phone and Bluetooth headset they shouldn't draw too much amperage if I charge them at the same time.

I found everything on eBay except for the battery tender pigtail I got that at my local cyclegear store.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts