Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, November 2015
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, like most I'm here cause of a problem. What I've got is my bro's 07 900 custom. It wouldn't start for him after a 45min ride. He had a fella jump it and it ran for a bit but poorly. Now I'm on the scene. I've got a Vulcan 750 & this is a whole new breed of beast to me. The battery was pretty dead so I'm charging it as we speak. The odd thing to me & I don't see any reference to this in the owners manual (like I thought I would) when you turn on the key it's making a clicking sound roughly one click a second. The odometer light is pulsating along with the click. The FI light is also included in this puzzle. Is this a known issue that someone can help me with? Thanks in advance. Kanuck69.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have to agree with Glockster, so that make two old aircraft mechanic's. But really, sounds like a bad battery. Give it a charge and make sure you have a good connection at the terminals. Has the bike sat for awhile or is this something that just started happening?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Back from dinner & went to check things out. The connections were good but disconnected them & reconnected just for $#!ts & Giggles. The clicking & the FI light are gone. but she still won't start. I'm lost, this is such a different machine from what I'm use to. Does anyone know of an online repair guide?

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS, it barely has 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also an option if you have a volt meter, check the battery at rest and when trying to start. If you have a full charge and then Drop to low during cranking it could be a bad cell on the battery. And being fuel injected, you should hear it pressure up when key turned on.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The clicking with the key on is probably the fuel pump trying to pressurize? Only 3k miles for a 3 year old bike hints to me that it sits a lot, and probably without a battery tender? Run the battery down to a local shop for testing, sounds like a battery that won't carry voltage under load to me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is the clicking noise when you hit the start switch and coming from the right side below the seat? If so, it's the magnetic switch and it does this because there is not enough CCA on he battery. If the battery holds a charge is it getting power? If not trace the wires and look at the stator and regulator.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You can try charging but it sounds like the battery sat for a long time and it may not fully recover. For some reason 07 was a bad year for batteries. My took a dump within 300 miles as have many others, and then the 2nd Yuasa went. Replaced with an Interstate battery and no more problems.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, The click was coming from under the seat. Won't start was simply dead. No starter action at all. I was at my brother n law with out my volt meter. We put it on a charger till the battery read full. Still the same thing. So as a last ditch attempt last night we tried jumping it. It fired right up. As soon as the cables were removed it acted up again. I thing the battries shot in it. Fully charged is not charged enough. I'm going to pick up a new battery for him today. (if I can find one) I think it is the culpret. I've got my meter with me today so I'll be able to double check the battery while I'm at it. Thanks for all the help so far. I'll check in later with the results on the battery.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Reading 12 volts on a voltmeter, and having ampacity to deliver, are two different things where batteries are concerned.

The one downside I've discovered with all the electronics on cars and bikes in recent years is that, when batteries fail, all kinds of wierd unpredictable, or seeming unrelated s--t goes on.

PO of my '07 LT had medical issues and let it sit for a year, and had to buy a battery to sell it the summer of '09.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The voltage read 10.8 after a full charge. That batteries shot. I just have to wait for a new one to show up. Maybe he can figure out how to put it in. lol Thanks again for all the help everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts