Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic, and it’s time to replace the tires. Let me start by saying that I’m completely tire ignorant as this was my father’s motorcycle that I inherited. It sat for 3 years before I got my hands on it, and it took me over a year to get it running well again (learning as I went as this is my first motorcycle). I was looking at the Dunlop D404’s in a 130/90-16 and a 150/80-16. I believe I read that these are tubeless, but I thought I heard my dad mention something once about his tires having tubes. Do I have to go one way or the other? Can I use either tubes or tubeless? I’ve read tons of reviews, but would like opinions on this specific tire I’m looking at as well. I apologize for my ignorance. I just want to make sure I’m doing this correctly. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you have spokes it takes a tube, which is what is probably on it. Stick with a name brand like Michelin, Perilli, Metzler or Dunlop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same bike (1997 VN1500D2), I put the Michelin Commander II tires on it and could not be happier. My previous tires (Metzeler ME 880 Marathon), like most bike tires, would get caught in rain grooves on the roads and highways, leading to that uneasy feeling, the Commander II's totally do not do that, it was a night and day difference. They are supposed to last a lot longer than normal tires as well, so far I've only put a couple thousand on them so far, but see no noticable wear. And yes, most all bike tires are tubeless, but the spoke wheels require the tube, no biggie though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts