Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I recently just converted to the cruiser world, and I have a question. I am going to be using a German style helmet, and I am curious to know which would go best with that helmet...sunglasses or goggles?

I honestly would like a pair of aviator sunglasses, but then with those, what do I do at night because I sure can't where them at night.

On the flip side, I am little weary of goggles with a German style helmet...I feel like I'd look like a goof. But I know a lot of goggles come with multiple lenses for riding conditions, i.e. sunny, overcast, and night.

Which do you guys wear and prefer?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi greenc51,

Im not recomending these its just what I wear, I have a pair of orange/brown lens shooting glasses for day use, and a pair of yellow lens shooting glasses for night time

both of these I got from a sporting store

good luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
For me sunglasses did not work, wind and dirt seems to get into my eyes. I wear googles, have a pair for daytime and night time. Keep the clear night time ones in the glove box in case I'm out late. The google were less than $20 each so you might want to just try and see how you like them. I really don't care if I look like a goof, eye protection is the most important thing. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I found a cheap pair of sunglasses I like and you can get them in different shades and also clear for night riding.The nice thing is if you drop em , loose em , step on em there only 10.00. There comfortable and cheap , safety rated and UV protection. I got them at J&P but I'm sure they can be found lot's of places.
I personally have trouble with the ones that have the foam , my eyelashes contact the foam and it just bugs me.

http://www.globalvision.us/products/glasses/styles/ridersd.php

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would go with sunglasses, but not regular sunglasses. Oakley, and other companies make sunglasses for the military that are built to protect the eyes from blast debris. They will hold up to hitting a wasp, a stick, or a rock from a tire whereas regular sunglasses may shatter. I believe motorcycle sunglasses are also impact resistant, although they are not designed to protect against a bomb blast. IMO, if they won't protect the eyes from road hazards, then there isn't anypoint in wearing them.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just don't do what I do. See a cool pair of goggles at the dealership that looked really comfortable and buy them... then realize you wear a full face helmet and Goggles don't work with full face helmets :) LOL

I will say, the goggles were more comfortable, until I realized there's no way to make them work with my helmet :p The ones I have have air vents, but have a foam 'gasket' that goes around your eye socket keeping dirt and bugs out.

I'll second the motion to good quality glasses. I wear regular aviator sunglasses but that's with my full face faceshield down over it (though usually cracked open in the summer for ventilation). A couple of times I've been smacked in the face by who-knows-what, hard enough that it's not likely my glasses would have held up, and if I wasn't wearing eye protection.... I'd have really been hurtin'! Heck, even popping my visor open for a second to scratch my nose or something I've been smacked with dust. So yeah, definitely something that's sturdy and covers your eyes completely and will protect you from the elements.

If it were me, probably a pair of clear safety glasses for the evening and a pair of safety sunglasses for the daytime, in other words- Desert Angels suggestion!

·
Megatron
181 Posts
I use sunglasses with interchangable lenses made for motorcycling. They have foam padding that fits close to the face preventing debris and wind from getting to my eyes. I've tried different brands until I found a pair that's comfy. Remember to consider the length and shape of the earpieces. If they're too long or don't curve down toward the back they can interfere with your helmet (I'm a half helmet guy). Also some tend to be real tight on the head (I'm also a fat head).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use Venture II safety glasses. They wrap around just right, they are available in multiple configurations, some of our military folks use them in the sandbox, they are impact resistant, and they are cheap. I buy them a dozen at a time and keep a pair everywhere (car, truck, motorcycle, garage,...)

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ven2safglas.html

·
Registered
546 Posts
I use Venture II safety glasses. They wrap around just right, they are available in multiple configurations, some of our military folks use them in the sandbox, they are impact resistant, and they are cheap. I buy them a dozen at a time and keep a pair everywhere (car, truck, motorcycle, garage,...)

thanks for the link I see my orange/brown lens there I was paying 9.00
looks like i'll be paying 3.80 now on thx

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Awesome! Thanks!
I fell into some 3m clear safety glasses today and threw them on for a quick ride around this evening - they worked great! So cheap safety glasses it is for me! :D

As a side note, since I am still new to cruisers and half-helmets....I noticed that the wind noise at 55+ mph is killer on my eardrums. I never had this issue with full helmets on my r6. Recommendations?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
As a side note, since I am still new to cruisers and half-helmets....I noticed that the wind noise at 55+ mph is killer on my eardrums. I never had this issue with full helmets on my r6. Recommendations?
Ear plugs are helpful for me , especially on windy days.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I am little weary of goggles with a German style helmet...I feel like I'd look like a goof. ?
green card,, don't worry about the goggles, that helmet says it enuff

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have Eye Ride Denali III sunglasses with interchangable lenses for use with my 3/4 helmet and Bobster Cruiser 2 goggles with interchangable lenses for use with my half helmet. Smoked lenses for daytime, amber lenses for overcast/cloudy days and clear lenses for night riding. Both come with a carrying case and a cloth for cleaning the lenses.
Either way I would go for something that wraps around and has foam to keep the wind and dirt out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey All

I recently just converted to the cruiser world, and I have a question. I am going to be using a German style helmet, and I am curious to know which would go best with that helmet...sunglasses or goggles?

I honestly would like a pair of aviator sunglasses, but then with those, what do I do at night because I sure can't where them at night.

On the flip side, I am little weary of goggles with a German style helmet...I feel like I'd look like a goof. But I know a lot of goggles come with multiple lenses for riding conditions, i.e. sunny, overcast, and night.

Which do you guys wear and prefer?

greenc51 now that you may be looking at safety glasses take a look at the orange/ lightly brown lenses I tried them once and fell in love with them its like a whole new world

the link that gimpyleg posted, looks like the Blu Blocker is the one i have

·
Registered
26 Posts
Brown or yellow lens safety glasses with the foam. The foam keeps stuff out and also helps when the wind pushes your glasses into your face. Very comfortable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would go with sunglasses, but not regular sunglasses. Oakley, and other companies make sunglasses for the military that are built to protect the eyes from blast debris. They will hold up to hitting a wasp, a stick, or a rock from a tire whereas regular sunglasses may shatter. I believe motorcycle sunglasses are also impact resistant, although they are not designed to protect against a bomb blast. IMO, if they won't protect the eyes from road hazards, then there isn't anypoint in wearing them.
To further what the 1SG said, here's a quote directly from usstandardissue.com (Oakley's government side of the house) about their Industry Standard for MilSpec eyeware:

The SI Line (Standard Issue) is designed exclusively for our government and military customers. It is not available in retail stores. Military protective eyewear has special requirements. Oakley addresses these unique requirements with all of the products below. Oakley lenses exceed US Government ANSI Z87.1 standards for impact resistance, optical clarity and UV protection.

The SI Line (Standard Issue) is designed exclusively for our military and government customers. It is not available in retail stores. Military and government protective eyewear has special requirements. Oakley addresses these unique requirements with all of the products below. Oakley lenses exceed US Government ANSI Z87.1 standards for impact resistance, optical clarity and UV protection. The M Frame 2.0 also meets Mil Spec Standard, MIL-PRF-31013

Oakley products in general, although expensive, are going to be built to last. Oakleys are all I wear when I ride.

Example, civilian available product line:

http://www.oakley.com/products/6718/25052

If you read the specs of the Lens, you come up with the following:

Distortion free lenses via Oakley’s cushioned lens suspension system
Additional set of Oakley HDO lenses for low light conditions (in most configurations)
Optimized peripheral vision and side protection of 8.75 base lens curvature
Optical precision and performance that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards
Impact protection that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards for High Velocity and High Mass impact resistance
Maximum clarity at all angles of vision with patented XYZ Optics®
UV protection of Plutonite® lens material that filters out 100% of UVA/ UVB/ UVC & harmful blue light up to 400 nm
Glare reduction and tuned light transmission of Iridium® lens coating (optional)
Available with Oakley Authentic Prescription Lenses

Worth the $220 pricetag in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Oakley lenses exceed US Government ANSI Z87.1 standards for impact resistance

If you read the specs of the Lens, you come up with the following:

Optical precision and performance that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards
Impact protection that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards for High Velocity and High Mass impact resistance

Worth the $220 pricetag in my opinion.
The glasses I listed also meet this standard ,with UV protection also, they may not have some of the other features but there defiantly worth the money at 10.00 ;)

http://www.globalvision.us/products/glasses/styles/ridersd.php

·
Registered
189 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts