Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my tires today and was checking the treads. The front looks OK with .100 of thread left but the rear has about .080 of tread.

I`m sticking with the Dunlop 404`s so should I replace both or only the rear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought my 900 custom in March. 5000+ miles later. I, just today, changed both tires.

Dunlop is a soft(er) tire. More grip, less mileage

Metseler hard(er) tire, more mileage.

At least according to the tech at Escondido Cycle Center.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought my 900 custom in March. 5000+ miles later. I, just today, changed both tires.

Dunlop is a soft(er) tire. More grip, less mileage

Metseler hard(er) tire, more mileage.

At least according to the tech at Escondido Cycle Center.
I believe what you are saying. When I had my V-Star 650 it had Metzeler's and they lasted about 30,000 Kms (18,000 miles) but they were slippery on our streets. The dunlops that I have now have great grip. I think that I will stay with grip over longevity.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I assume you have a tire tread gauge. At 2mm the book says that you're safe at speeds not to exceed 80mph. JMO, but I think the stock Dunlop 404's aren't worth the effort. At 5400 miles, my rear was slightly below the 2mm mark. Once you hit that tread depth, indications from posters on other forums are that it goes down very fast. I checked every catalog I could find, and nowhere could I find the 404 tire in the stock 900 size. Apparently they're made for Kawasaki through dealers. (Not that I wanted another set of those, just checking was all) I was going to go with Metzelers until I began reading ratings on the Pirelli MT66Tours. As I didn't want to have two different brands on the bike, I chose to replace both front and rear at the same time. Went to an indy shop up the road from me and they replaced both tires, removed, mounted, and balanced, for $283, waaaaaaay cheaper than the dealer wanted. Metzelers would have cost me another $50. So far I have 2000 miles on them and they look practically brand new. If you want to replace your tires with the original stock size, your only choice is to go with the OEM Dunlops, Metzeler, or the Pirellis. I really like mine. Ride/handling is much better than the Dunlops IMO.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The shop is the location of PitBull Motorcycle Lifts. Always bikers there. Great shop. They work on Metrics as well as HD's. Lots of clothing, etc. Some metric parts but most in stock is for HD. (They'll order anything you need). Got my pipes from them, (Speedster Longs, $495 installed). Tires are usually on sale for around 17% off list, plus mount/balance for $20 a tire if you buy them there. You can see their website at:
www.pitbullbikershop.com .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Static Cruise Control

Now THAT's a deal. I wish I were close to that shop. I'd be there in New York minute.
Just curious. I know what static cruise control is (i think). What brand did you use? Where can I get it? I just bought a used 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Some for of cruise control would be nice.

Dennis

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Metzner

I ride a 2008 900 custom, candy lime green and just put a Metzner ME 880 , 200/ size tire on the rear adn love the stability and comfort on the road, not to mention the look.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I ride a 2008 900 custom, candy lime green and just put a Metzner ME 880 , 200/ size tire on the rear adn love the stability and comfort on the road, not to mention the look.
need pic... :)

would a 200 fit on a 900 classic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Metzner 200 series rear tire fits on the same rim no modifactions needed. The metzner manufacturing book has a chart that tells you what sizes will fit your bike. I can go up to a 250 size rear tire on the same rim, but a little modifaction, of taking off my belt guards and the plastic inside mud guard. Will post pics tonight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Metzner 200 series rear tire fits on the same rim no modifactions needed. The metzner manufacturing book has a chart that tells you what sizes will fit your bike. I can go up to a 250 size rear tire on the same rim, but a little modifaction, of taking off my belt guards and the plastic inside mud guard. Will post pics tonight.
Can you post those pics?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts