Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is in pieces to fix the second gear popping out. I started shopping for parts needed to put the engine back together. I started with just the obvious gaskets, then I added a whole series of O-rings and washers that act as gaskets to the shopping cart, I added snap rings and circlips. Then I started adding some dowels and pins, then I took measurements of a whole bunch of stuff to verify that it was all in good shape. The lobes of my camshafts are getting close to the tolerance so I added two camshafts, added a cam chain, then I found a couple large bearings in the crankcases that felt notchy so I added a full set of bearings.
My cart is up to more than $1900 and I don't even have the parts for the tranny yet.

I think I'm over doing it so tell me, if you had the crankcase open on your bike, which parts would you change? Which parts would you leave as is.

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
2006 V2K Classic LT
335 Posts
I forgot what’s the mileage on your bike? I’m wondering what condition your cylinder walls are in and the Pistons. And of course, as you said, you have to inspect and possibly replace transmission parts. I don’t want to discourage you, but if that were me, I would already be be in over my head as far as skill level, so my hats off to you reassemble that thing.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Depending cause and extent of damage, undercutting the transmission gears (dogs and slots) could be an even better solution, in terms of cost and robustness of fix, than replacing the gears.

RACNRAY did this work but he has not been seen on the site since May.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The bike is at 48k miles. I found RACNRAY's thread on undercutting.

I was actually wondering if this was done in motorcycle trannys. I am going to see if I can get the 1st, second and third gears undercut. I don't think the bike has enough power to worry about the rest of the gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You must have a lot experience with working on motor cycles to take on a project of that magnitude. Wish I had something to contribute to the conversation but I will be watching. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I’m sure you’re just being modest. Have you thought about doing the Euro gears ?
Euro gears, aftermarket front pulley, fifth gear mod, hole in the filter of the HLAs (done now since engine is in pieces), it's all been done on this bike. The undercut of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears will be the cherry on top me thinks.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 9 of 9 Posts