Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 miles on the bike and the front brakes are dragging (metal to metal) noise on slow gentle stops. Hard stops no problem. Dealer said that was normal??? Want to replace them with something else. Are EBC sinister pads good? Said for sport bikes and track days. Let me know what to go with and a pat number. Thanks
Also, are the Voyager and 1700 Vulcan the same brake pads?

·
Registered
481 Posts
2000 miles on the bike and the front brakes are dragging (metal to metal) noise on slow gentle stops. Hard stops no problem. Dealer said that was normal??? Want to replace them with something else. Are EBC sinister pads good? Said for sport bikes and track days. Let me know what to go with and a pat number. Thanks
Also, are the Voyager and 1700 Vulcan the same brake pads?
A very light amount of drag or touching is normal as there is no spring to pull the pad off the rotor, they float. I doubt you need new pads after 2000 miles unless you've been riding with your brakes on. As far as EBC pads, they are really good, that's what I run, ( EBC HH ). I didn't have to change the fronts until 39000 miles and I've not had to change the rears and I have close to 53000 miles on my Voyager ABS. Cant remember the part # but if you get on the web, look up EBC brake pads for your bike, the # will come up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont ride the brake so that wasnt the problem. The dragging is so load people in a car running could hear them when I stopped next to them. Very loud unless i apply them hard. I did contact EBC for a part number and they suggested the ones for touring not the HH. But I see the HH are highly recomended. FA231HH their part number. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I use the HH as well, even though mine are from Galfer. Same "full metallic". Much better stopping power.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Dont ride the brake so that wasnt the problem. The dragging is so load people in a car running could hear them when I stopped next to them. Very loud unless i apply them hard. I did contact EBC for a part number and they suggested the ones for touring not the HH. But I see the HH are highly recomended. FA231HH their part number. Thanks
That is the WRONG part nmber for the VOYAGER/VAQUERO front calipers. The correct part nmber is FA158 HH. I do not recommend anything but EBC HH pads, there are the only brand and type i use and sell.

This being the internet I believe this is a good example of how someone is trying to explain a "noise" and it can be interpreted soooooo many ways.

To clarify "Brake drag" ONLY OCCURS when the brakes are NOT being applied. Brake drag means the pads are dragging against the rotors excessively when the brakes are not being applied.

You are complaining about a noise DURING brake application so that is NOT brake drag. It is a noise generated during brake application and is a result of one or more causes.

I bet you are hearing a grinding/rumbling/groaning type noise? These Vulcans have solid mounted rotors onto cast wheels and in certain brake applications there is a harmonic resonance that occurs as a result of the dissimmilar metals having different frequencies at which they will vibrate. Thru my years of working on skoots I have experienced this a few times.

This did occur on my Vaq, it was not usually during hard or heavy braking but might occur just as I was coming to a stop. It mostly happened at the lower speeds/normal braking.

One trick I used and have used for some time was to go out and really STOMP on that front brake many times, the noise went away after awhile.

I ride hard and use my front brakes pretty good, I eventually warped my rotors!

Your skoot is very young and in no way needs new pads. I would suggest give it some more time, perform some aggressive stops and allow what I have termed "for everything to season in". Might sound kinda weird but give it a try.

Again EBC's listing for pads is INCORRECT, so if you decide to go that route get the FA 158 HH pads. My skoot has over 40,000 mls on it, already changed the rears to HH pads and love the braking improvement, when I get my new rotors I'll do the HH pads at the same time.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I just finished reading 140 pages of the VN1700 forum.

Some suggested to use brake quiet:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=152140&postcount=5
You may want to read the entire thread.

One owner (can't find the post) complained about squeaking brakes on a new bike to the dealer, the dealer said thats normal - the owner took the brakes apart & the pad material had separated from the metal backing and fell apart - when the owner took the pads into the dealer, the dealer replaced them under warranty

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ray for the correction! I did take them off and hit them with some sand paper and cleaned them. So far so good. Looks like rain the next few days though.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Ray, so the FA158 HH fits both the front and rear on the Vaqueros ? Want to replace mine now since I have about 30,000 miles, want to make sure I get the right one to fit the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Ray, so the FA158 HH fits both the front and rear on the Vaqueros ? Want to replace mine now since I have about 30,000 miles, want to make sure I get the right one to fit the bike.
ROADIE...the Vaqs and the Voyagers use the same frnt pads, FA158 HH. They also both use the same rear which is the FA 231 style. The HH pads are an incredible increase in stopping power,especially for the front, and that goes the same for the rear. On my skoot with the REAR HH pads AND a braided steel brake line the initial bite is a huge improvement over stock, but I gotta be careful as it is quite a bit easier to lock up the rear wheel.

The organic series pads which have no suffix designation are poor performers and cause abnormal rotor wear. The newer "V" series pads are semi sintered but I have no experience with them as of yet. If you go with HH pads for the rear you will have to be careful and determine where the new lock-up threshhold is.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
481 Posts
ROADIE...the Vaqs and the Voyagers use the same frnt pads, FA158 HH. They also both use the same rear which is the FA 231 style. The HH pads are an incredible increase in stopping power,especially for the front, and that goes the same for the rear. On my skoot with the REAR HH pads AND a braided steel brake line the initial bite is a huge improvement over stock, but I gotta be careful as it is quite a bit easier to lock up the rear wheel.

The organic series pads which have no suffix designation are poor performers and cause abnormal rotor wear. The newer "V" series pads are semi sintered but I have no experience with them as of yet. If you go with HH pads for the rear you will have to be careful and determine where the new lock-up threshhold is.

RACNRAY
This guy is good, we are lucky to have him on this forum!

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
This guy is good, we are lucky to have him on this forum!

Yes, we ought to be thankful that Ray is willing to share his many years of experience and knowledge of bikes and for his fine throttle mod, too.

Thanks Ray for some great information about the brake pads for the Vaquero and Voyager.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
My front brakes do the same noise every now and then, It's the crappy pads Kawasaki out on them with the caliper set up. I just do a few hard braking stops and it goes away for a few hundred miles, but it comes back.

The HD Road King patrol scoots we had were BAD about brake harmonic noise on the front. We would replace the rotors on every new one we got with the EBC floatng rotors and HH pads. They would stop on a dime after that.

EBC HH pads are the best way to go when replacing. I have them on all my other scoots.....

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I put on the Gafer full matallic pads on when I put the road commanders on and I am not impressed with them. I do not see a significant difference other than they make more noise. I think I need to go to Hollywood Florida and hang out for a couple of weeks while Ray turns my scoot into his.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
this guy is good, we are lucky to have him on this forum!
yes, we ought to be thankful that ray is willing to share his many years of experience and knowledge of bikes and for his fine throttle mod, too.

Thanks ray for some great information about the brake pads for the vaquero and voyager.

THANX GUYS...glad to help;)

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
hang out for a couple of weeks while Ray turns my scoot into his
Wouldn't that be great??????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts