Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a Vista throttle lock on the 900 LT. To do that I had to move the brake reservoir away from the handle and that tightened the two wires a bit too much to the point that they tend to get unplugged. One of those connection is for the brake light, the other one I don't know.(see pics)
The question:
Are there some sort of extensions I can buy to lengthen those connections? I am thinking plug-ins as I do not do soldering. And if there is splicing involved I would not know what wires to get.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
why not cut the wire solder in an extension and finish with heat shrink tubing?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doc, as much as I appreciate your input, I know so little about electrical work that I would need way more explanations than that

·
Registered
67 Posts
its just a matter of determining how long an extension you need cutting 2 pieces of wire to that length then cutting the existing wire leaving area on both sides to splice on to placing 2 pieces heat shrink tubing on to the extensions soldering the extensions in then placing the heat shrink tubing on the splices and shrinking the tubing to cover the splices

Can you solder at all?

if none of this makes sense ask a local bike shop to do it

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Google "youtube how to solder to wires together" if you don't want to pay a shop $$$ to do a penny job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have known since I watch DYI YouTube videos all the time.
I watched a solder video and it is not that complicated. It was really the case where a picture was worth a thousand words.
However since they are short wires and not in an easy to reach place I was really looking for a male/female sort of wire extension I could have just plugged in
Final question: If I did go the solder route, what type/gauge wire do I need to buy?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My concern is that the boots wont be easy to find otherwise you can go to radio hack and get make and female spade connectors in the correct size and just make extensions the wire isn't heavy gauge can you take a close up of the wire? this is the brake light switch

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doc, there are two wires. It looks like one wire as Kawa has them wrapped together but then they split and each go into a separate terminal. I know for sure one is the brake light. Cannot figure out what the other one is for but it is neither the kill-switch nor the ignition.
My phone won't focus enough when I am too close to take a pic of the wires and besides they are inside the covering.
I think you are right, my next stop will be Radio Shack and ask the guy to look at it and tell me what I need.

Thanks for the input anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts