Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some help with a modification for my 2008 900 Custom.

The dealership I purchased my bike from had installed Vizor Lights for the front and rear turn signals. The rear Vizor Lights are mounted on the last bolt on the chrome fender strut cover; They use a 5/16"-18 x 1" hollow bolt that screws into the light and the wires feed through the hollow bolt to connect to the wiring harness. The problem is this is where one of the mounting bolts for a sissy bar would go.

My first question is this: Does anyone know of any ways to mount a sissy bar, and keep my turn signals in the same, or similar location? I don't ride 2-up, I just want to be able to carry more luggage. I would love to get a quick detach sissybar, but the cobra sissy bars would be my next choice. I have come up with a few ideas, but I don't know if it would be sturdy enough.

My second question is: since the bolt holes on the chrome fender strut cover don't match up to where to fender mounts to the internal fender frame, how is this strong enough to accomodate of backrest anyway?

I've added pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the help.

-Rigor

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
remove the lights from the holes they are in now..drill new holes where the red reflector is in right underneath where the lights are mounted now..its where i relocated my stock lights..worked out great

·
Registered
306 Posts
try and find longer holow bolts and use the turn signal and new bolt to mount the sissy bar....if your just using it for luggage it should be plenty strong enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
remove the lights from the holes they are in now..drill new holes where the red reflector is in right underneath where the lights are mounted now..its where i relocated my stock lights..worked out great
I did think about that too, but not sure how it would look when done. When you mounted them directly to the fender, did you just attach them directly to the plastic or did you use some type of metal bracket? My concern would be that the hole in the plastic would gradually grow bigger with vibration, etc. Maybe I'm worrying for no reason too.

By chance do you have some pics of your rear turn signals? I would love to see what it looks like!

-Rigor

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try and find longer holow bolts and use the turn signal and new bolt to mount the sissy bar....if your just using it for luggage it should be plenty strong enough.
Well it is funny you say this because this was my first idea. I actually bought a few different lengths of grade 8 bolts in the same size and contacted a machine shop to bore them out. They said it should be strong enough to hold luggage also.

What doesn't make sense to me is why does the rear bolts of the luggage rack, saddlebags, etc only attach to the chrome trim and not go through the fender and attach to the internal metal fender frame.

I will confess that I am really dumb when it comes to anything mechnical, so maybe I am not catching something.

-Rigor

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also considered going with LED light strips to place under the lip of my rear fender, but I'm concerned that they may be hard to see since the rear fender on the custom is so pointy, and most bikes that you see the LED strips on have a nice flat edge. Does anyone have these on their bikes?

-Rigor

·
Registered
306 Posts
actually under that plastic trim a a solid steel fender support...its actualy the support for the fender....just has a seperate hole to mount the chrome trim......there are two sets of holes in the fender support one set is used to mount the fender and the other is for the trim...hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rigor, nice bike man. I just bought a 900 custom, 2009. And just by looking at yours I've got like 10 new ideas for my bike. I like the radiator cover. I have a ? though. When you put the hypercharger on, along with the pipes, did you get the fuel manage system? did you see a diffrence with performance? and does that cancel out riding in the rain with the hyper charger? And do you have baffles in your pipes? Sory about the 21 questions. Just really like your bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rigor, nice bike man. I just bought a 900 custom, 2009. And just by looking at yours I've got like 10 new ideas for my bike. I like the radiator cover. I have a ? though. When you put the hypercharger on, along with the pipes, did you get the fuel manage system? did you see a diffrence with performance? and does that cancel out riding in the rain with the hyper charger? And do you have baffles in your pipes? Sory about the 21 questions. Just really like your bike.
Thank you for the compliments! The dealership had already installed the pipes, hypercharger, and PCIII usb.

With regards to the Kuryakyn hypercharger, I have never had a problem riding in the rain, and I have never worried about it. I have a K&N filter. The oil in the filter typically does a good job keeping the water out.

The pipes are Hard Krome 2.5" Sripper pipes. They didn't have any baffles in them, but I added Hard Kore baffles to deepen the tone and make them slightly quieter (people wouldn't ride behind me).

The dealership had only installed to generic PCIII map from the website. I had always had a little of the "popping". After I installed the baffle inserts, I noticed a decrease in bottom-end torque. I had the bike dynoed with some improvement, but the "popping" did decrease overall. I think my bike runs a little rich right now.

So to answer your question if my bike runs better or not, my answer is yes and no. I have never ridden this bike without performance stuff done to it, so I can't compare it to stock. I can tell you that I have noticed a slight decrease in low end power, but my mid and top end have improved. I can keep up with all the H-D's that I regularly ride with, even in the hills; they do typically beat me off the line though.

I really don't know if I would invest a bunch of money into performance stuff if I had a stock bike. Mainly because stock motorcycles nowadays are set up to run pretty well and you can screw stuff up as much as you can improve it. That's my .02 cents anyway.

-Rigor

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you want I could send you a list of everything that has been done to it so far. The problem with these motorcycle forums is that I keep finding more ways to spend money :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually under that plastic trim a a solid steel fender support...its actualy the support for the fender....just has a seperate hole to mount the chrome trim......there are two sets of holes in the fender support one set is used to mount the fender and the other is for the trim...hope this makes sense.
Yeah that does make sense. I figured there had to be a catch to it somewhere, otherwise, it would fall apart in the first 50 miles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My first question is this: Does anyone know of any ways to mount a sissy bar, and keep my turn signals in the same, or similar location? I don't ride 2-up, I just want to be able to carry more luggage. I would love to get a quick detach sissybar, but the cobra sissy bars would be my next choice. I have come up with a few ideas, but I don't know if it would be sturdy enough. r
While I haven't done this myself, I did see a 900 Custom that had the turn signals mounted where the 2-up pegs are. By removing the 2-up pegs the lights should be low enough to be visible even when sporting some bags.

jd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I haven't done this myself, I did see a 900 Custom that had the turn signals mounted where the 2-up pegs are. By removing the 2-up pegs the lights should be low enough to be visible even when sporting some bags.

jd
Very interesting. I never though of that. I shall do some pondering.....

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you want I could send you a list of everything that has been done to it so far. The problem with these motorcycle forums is that I keep finding more ways to spend money :D
Can you tell me what engine guard you are running?

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you tell me what engine guard you are running?

Thanks.
Kawasaki brand engine guard. They curve forward which is what I like. If you are planning on using highway pegs, they will work, but I would suggest going with Cobra or Big Bike Parts (Show Chrome) instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Rigor. Sorry I haven't replied, been working my butt off. Yeah if you could send that list. But i think I'm gonna cash in on your 2 cents and wait on the performance mod's for now. I like the way my bike runs, don't want to chance messing that up. I'm just gonna add a few cosmetic details. Any web sites you could say i would find helpful? thanks for the tips man.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Rigor. Sorry I haven't replied, been working my butt off. Yeah if you could send that list. But i think I'm gonna cash in on your 2 cents and wait on the performance mod's for now. I like the way my bike runs, don't want to chance messing that up. I'm just gonna add a few cosmetic details. Any web sites you could say i would find helpful? thanks for the tips man.

• Professional Dyno-tuning
• Hard Krome 2.5" Stripper exhaust pipes with Hard Kore Baffles
• Dyna-Jet Power Commander III USB
• Kuryakyn Hypercharger
• K & N Air Filter
• Kawasaki brand Engine Guards
• BreakAway Chrome Billet Throttle Control
• 2" rear lowering kit
• ISO Grips with stiletto endcaps
• Vizor Light turn signals (front and rear)
• Kuryakyn vertical side mount license plate holder
• Custom seat
• Quick Connect Adapter installed for Battery Tender and Tourmaster heated riding gear
• Chrome to the following: horn cover, radiator cover, regulator cover, rear brake resevoir cover, side panels, front swing arm covers, front and rear brake caliper covers, stem valve caps
• Soon to have Kuryakyn ISO shift lever, brake pad, and chrome front axle caps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, with regards to the performance stuff:

IMO, if you have access to a very reputable, independent shop who works on metric bikes for customization and performance you will probably be ok. My personal experience with dealerships is that they have to know too much for too many brands, and this limits them from becoming experts. Independent shops are great for doing this kind of work. There are some shops that primarily work on H-D's, but will work on metric bikes too. I would suggest asking how much metric work they really do since most H-D people want nothing to do with metric bikes.

The other advice I can give is to do your homework and don't just rely on what someone tells you. This way you can become better at smelling the BS. If you find yourself knowing more about a product or system more than the person helping you then you should probably shop around some more and find a different place to go.

-Rigor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, with regards to the performance stuff:

IMO, if you have access to a very reputable, independent shop who works on metric bikes for customization and performance you will probably be ok. My personal experience with dealerships is that they have to know too much for too many brands, and this limits them from becoming experts. Independent shops are great for doing this kind of work. There are some shops that primarily work on H-D's, but will work on metric bikes too. I would suggest asking how much metric work they really do since most H-D people want nothing to do with metric bikes.

The other advice I can give is to do your homework and don't just rely on what someone tells you. This way you can become better at smelling the BS. If you find yourself knowing more about a product or system more than the person helping you then you should probably shop around some more and find a different place to go.

-Rigor
Man Rigor, Thanks for the advice. Your really helpful. I still haven't had a chance to do anything to my bike but ride. I just had the first service. Quick ? though. They told me the next service would be @ 4000 mi. How often have you been doing yours?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man Rigor, Thanks for the advice. Your really helpful. I still haven't had a chance to do anything to my bike but ride. I just had the first service. Quick ? though. They told me the next service would be @ 4000 mi. How often have you been doing yours?
I've been averaging every 3,000 miles. I would just go by the recommendations in the manual.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts