Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the El Cheapo sissy bar with luggage rack off of Ebay. Its made in China junk, but the finish or fit is not the problem. when mounted onto the bike, it actually sits too far back almost right above the brake light, and when My wife sits on the back seat, she has to slide all the way back to the very egde of the back of the seat before her back touches the pad. I have a 09 Custom SE with a Kawaie Gel seat. Is this normal?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sure sounds odd to me. I just put a Cobra Short Sissybar on my '08 Custom, and the bar and pad do not sit above the rear brake light.

EDIT: This isn't my bike, am borrowing this photo to show how it should sit on the bike (and it's the same sissybar I have):

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sure sounds odd to me. I just put a Cobra Short Sissybar on my '08 Custom, and the bar and pad do not sit above the rear brake light.

EDIT: This isn't my bike, am borrowing this photo to show how it should sit on the bike (and it's the same sissybar I have):

LOL, I was like... HEY! That's my bike! You made me do a double take, man! ROFLMAO

I now have the Cobra standard sissybar instead of the short pictured above, but my wife sits on the seat normally, never complaining about having to slide to the rear to lean on the backrest, and she's comfortable enough to check her cell phone, text, etc. while riding back there. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Funny thing is, except for the pipes and the lack of tank badge, it *does* look a lot like my bike...like you, I have the Passion Red color, too. :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sketso, here's what I mean by the pipes and similarity to the bike above (and yours...mine's also an '08, btw)...they're HardKrome American Classic Straights. Ignore, though, the color of the paint...it was a bright, sunny day and my camera apparently couldn't handle the brightness that lends to the paint, and instead made it look a bit orang'ish. It truly is the same passion red as yours and the example I posted.

And to the OP, note too the position of the backrest in relation to the seat and brake light. Neither my wife nor my daughters have had to scoot back to the edge, etc....they say it's comfortable.

Here's another one for good measure:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I went to my Kawa dealer today and seen a 900 Classic LT. The Rear passanger seat was approx 1 1/2" longer, and much wider.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would agree, the fastest of all the other colors except for red. :D
It all depends on the direction the bike is going to you. Coming at you the Blue bikes are faster, going away the Red bikes are faster. All has to do with the compression and decompression of the light waves due to Doppler shift. It's all true, I swear, pick up any Astronomy text and they'll splain it to you.

Now, as I'll be leaving you in the dust, traveling away from you, you'll see my red bike is quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It all depends on the direction the bike is going to you. Coming at you the Blue bikes are faster, going away the Red bikes are faster. All has to do with the compression and decompression of the light waves due to Doppler shift. It's all true, I swear, pick up any Astronomy text and they'll splain it to you.

Now, as I'll be leaving you in the dust, traveling away from you, you'll see my red bike is quite a bit faster.
I am glad I am not the only geek that was thinking that way...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mr. Clean, I think the doppler shift only comes into affect if you are travelling at Ludicrous Speed! That is at least 10 times faster than the Speed of Stupid! Of course, anything past the Speed of Stupid and you start to experience time compression. That is where you drive home so fast from the bar, that when you wake up, the 18 year old co-ed you brought home has suddenly turned into a 48 year old bar queen with a voice like Jerry Reed!:eek: Thank God I don't have to worry about that. My bike is that slowest of all colors, beige (AKA metallic titanium). Maybe some nice gray flames would make it faster.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem was the cheapo backrest and the custom seat together. I have since installed a mustang tour seat and installed a Cobra Standard sissy, and everything is ok. Thanks guys

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mustang seat and standard Cobra Bar. Go cheap on the truck, cheap on the house, cheap on the clothes, but never go cheap on the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts