Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, long time lurker...
I have a noise that started last fall and was forgotten when the bike went into hibernation for the winter. Got it out to prep for the upcoming riding season and its still there. :mad:

What I have is an 09 VN900C, 1458 miles, all stock except Hard Chrome pipes and LED tail/turn light.

The noise I have is only noticed on deceleration (maybe because of the pipes its not noticable on acceleration). With trans in any gear once speed is taken over 40mph on speedometer and closed throttle, it starts the whine. I have even shifted to neutral while rear wheel still spinning and the sound stays, only to go away when the tire stops turning. I have checked belt adjustment and it seems right. The noise comes from the left side fo the engine, around the output shaft area of the belt drive. Sounds to me like a bearing noise, or loud whirrrring noise. Most reputable dealer I know told me it sounded normal by description but haven't been able to get him the sound clip I took tonight.

I have a week or so of warranty left and nearest dealer is 45 minutes to an hour away. If the weather would be decent I would just ride it there to let them listen to it...
Anyone have any ideas? I can e-mail the sound clip if someone would care to listen to it.
I have read tons of posts about stator noise and gear noise and belt noise, but am not 100% that is my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can offer!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like belt noise to me from what you describe. Spray some belt dressing on it just to see if the noise goes away. The dressing won't solve the issue whatever might be causing it but it will help narrow down the problem if it is belt noise or not.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dude I was gonna say prob your rad kicking on but then I listened to the video and am stumped. The rad sure is loud on these bikes and scarred me the first few times it kicked in, had me wondering what the heck that whirling sound was.....lol!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, I know its not the fan. It is coming from the area right above my foot in the video...

No comments on the sandals and socks, wanted to get a vid quick so someone may be able to help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
First off from experience it is not the stator. My impression is belt to tight or the tire is rubbing against something, or the belt is rubbing against the guard. My money is belt to tight.

The stator sounds like a jet whine at high rpm, way different.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My guess is belt alignment, that it's tracking to one side of the front pulley.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take advantage of a nice day and ride it to the dealer while under warranty. PS, wear ear plugs!

·
Banned
334 Posts
My '07 Classic makes the same noise, and it gets worse when I change the rear shock preload. I suspect it's incorrect belt tension, but I have to wait for winter to end before I can test that theory. ;)

Joe

PS - I second the advice on the earplugs... that thing is LOUD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts