Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009, Voyager, 31k miles, no modifications at all. Bought the bike this past February and due to weather conditions did not test ride it or begin riding it till April. Condition has been there since my first ride.

Bike starts first and every time, idles as it should @ 850rpm. Going thru gears take off is pretty smooth until 3rd and from there on it begins vibrating as if it is lugging to maintain power. When OD is reached and on a smooth straight stretch of road runs pretty good, but when any acceleration is done it begins to lug and vibrate. As acceleration is increased it increases vibration violently to point you must either down shift or reduce speed.
If clutch is pulled all goes away, will coast very smooth as it should. If engine is revved with clutch in still smooth. Appears only to do the vibration when under a load. Sitting still I have revved to 3k rpm held steady and is perfectly smooth.

An example would be if you mistakenly took off in 3rd gear.

There are no fault codes and (I have done the seafoam thing), just for peace of mind with no change.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I have heard that the throttle body sometimes need to be cleaned..

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
possibly a tune up.. air filter, new plugs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
While I didn't have the problem you are having when in 3rd I did have the same issue when in OD, it was my tires. Replaced mine and it went away, just another thing to check.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I didn't have the problem you are having when in 3rd I did have the same issue when in OD, it was my tires. Replaced mine and it went away, just another thing to check.
A new front tire was installed just before I purchased with 0 miles, rear does need replacing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Could be fouled injectors. Maybe toss a few ounces of seafoam or red line in the tank. The plugs looks perfect, so its not running rich or lean. That being said it is now a bitch to read plugs since they added ethanol to gas..

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I was having idle issues, cleaning the throttle body only worked for a few days. Ran two bottles of Sea Foam through it and the issue went away. But I still add a couple ounces of Sea Foam every other tank when I am home. (Not while on the road)

Do you notice the engine vibrating more while this is happening? While sitting still and reving the engine to 2.5k does it vibrate also? Did you keep the engine RPM the same when you pulled in the clutch on the road?

Pulley dampers in the rear wheel going bad?
Engine mount dampers going bad?
Throttle body issue?
Fuel pump issue?
Spark plug gap correct?

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2009, Voyager, 31k miles, no modifications at all. Bought the bike this past February and due to weather conditions did not test ride it or begin riding it till April. Condition has been there since my first ride.

Bike starts first and every time, idles as it should @ 850rpm. Going thru gears take off is pretty smooth until 3rd and from there on it begins vibrating as if it is lugging to maintain power. When OD is reached and on a smooth straight stretch of road runs pretty good, but when any acceleration is done it begins to lug and vibrate. As acceleration is increased it increases vibration violently to point you must either down shift or reduce speed.
If clutch is pulled all goes away, will coast very smooth as it should. If engine is revved with clutch in still smooth. Appears only to do the vibration when under a load. Sitting still I have revved to 3k rpm held steady and is perfectly smooth.

An example would be if you mistakenly took off in 3rd gear.

There are no fault codes and (I have done the seafoam thing), just for peace of mind with no change.

Already done the seafoam thing.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I took about 5 tanks of gas before it started getting better for me.... and I kept adding every tank full for two bottles....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just curious as to what RPM you are at when you roll on the throttle and get the vibration. I know with mine if I lug the engine below 2200-2300 and roll on full throttle in the higher gears it will shake a bit. I try and run above 2500.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Probably not the problem, but at what rpms are you shifting to the higher gears and is this flat, going up or down grades? Are you heavy on the throttle? Not trying to be insulting, but you may actually be lugging the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
but you may actually be lugging the motor
WHat he said....

Not hard to do in 5th and 6th at low speed when you crank it.... and mine does not like it. But it will pull out of it....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
So... what SPEED are you shifting at? Before you tear this engine apart this behavior sounds exactly like mine if I shift too early.

This 1700 engine doesn't like to accelerate or pull below 2000~2500 RPM's. If you're shifting it early and keeping it below 2000 RPM's, then that would certainly explain the shuddering and vibration.

She likes to rev! If I'm on twisty roads doing a bit more spirited riding I don't ever let it get below 2500 RPM's.

As to the idle, lots of guys like the 850rpm idle and the computer will let you do it, but per the manual that is not the correct idle. The correct idle is 1000RPM +/- 50 (950-1050 RPM's). At least according to what the manual states. Food for thought; and it is an overhead cam engine with a long stroke that benefits from having good oil pressure all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
My idle is 950ish.... idles slow enough for me. It ain't a Harley.............

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Mine is set at 850.. much smoother

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I have felt like the Nomad idles too high too. I am going to mess with the idle and lower it a tad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts