Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 900 Classic and want to swap out my handlebars to the 12 ape hangers. I have read several posts here and found what i thought was the ones. Problem is the website is out of stock. I believe it was J&P and the brand was Santee.
I found these but an not sure because the of the description.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/12-inch-ape-hanger-handlebar-chrome-harley-davidson-models-82-to-newer-with-wiring-recess/part/SANTEE-110004
Could you guys tell me if these will work or can you direct me to the ones i need to make the swap.
Thanks in advance..

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys..

T61immy, do you know if this is a direct fit for our bikes?

SAND_MAN1, Those are the ones i've been looking at. They are currently out of stock. BTW, I live in Victoria TX.

I wonder if the $99 bars will be a better product (thickness) or if they are all the same. I don't mind paying the extra $50-$60 if i'm getting my moneys worth.

Thanks again for the help.
On a side note, I got my swing arm bag in today.. All I can say is. Nice..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a set of 8 inch apes from biltwell. They fit perectly. I bought the non dimpled version. The bars are knurled at the base and the knurling lines up perfectly with the stock risers. I wish I had bought the 12's. I currently have the 8's on top of 3 inch spacers so i get the feel of the 12's.

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
Here's one I took on Sunday of mine

·
Registered
191 Posts
Awesome looking bobber! I like the 8" / 3" set up you have by the way. . . very industrial looking. Myself, I'd lose the Kawi sticker on the side cover to keep them guessing! Nice job!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a question for you guys with 12" apes with stock classic risers. Did you guys have to extend all your wires and get new cables? I am wanting to do apes on my Custom.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I have a question for you guys with 12" apes with stock classic risers. Did you guys have to extend all your wires and get new cables? I am wanting to do apes on my Custom.
My wires are still stock, no extending. I was able to use the stock cables but you need to reroute them. I ended up just getting new cables sometime afterwards.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm wanting to do this exact thing. i was looking at the 12" ers also. WHat Riser have you found? I'm loking for one that has some pullback in it to push the bars farther back. My lower back doesnt like 100 miles a day bent forward.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My wires are still stock, no extending. I was able to use the stock cables but you need to reroute them. I ended up just getting new cables sometime afterwards.

So, Are you cables still stock or did you change them?
In your last pic it looks like your cables are stainless.
The reason I ask is could you provide a link and/or part number for what you got. Also, did you install the cables yourself?

EDIT.. Never mind.. I got the "wires and cables" mixed up..

Would like some info on the cables..plz

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
So, Are you cables still stock or did you change them?
In your last pic it looks like your cables are stainless.
The reason I ask is could you provide a link and/or part number for what you got. Also, did you install the cables yourself?

EDIT.. Never mind.. I got the "wires and cables" mixed up..

Would like some info on the cables..plz
I don't have a part number on the cables. They're sold as a kit though. I went to a motorcycle shop and they ordered them and installed them for me. I installed the apes myself and had to drill a hole on the throttle side of the handlebars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are the 12" bars I got from J&P. I looked at the specs to the ones you posted and they look the same. What part of Texas are you in?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-944
Sandman. The ones at J&P have been out of stock. The set i'm looking at say (with wiring recess) Do you know what that means?
Sorry fo all the questions. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this
MOD.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
Sandman. The ones at J&P have been out of stock. The set i'm looking at say (with wiring recess) Do you know what that means?
Sorry fo all the questions. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this
MOD.
Sorry but I don't know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm pretty sure wiring recess mean drill ( for electrical)

I don't want to HI jack this thread but want to install ape on my custom and I have a couple question:
what dimpled mean!?? Is it true that the custom cable are shorter than the classic !? I'm planning to use classic stock riser or short one. and about rerouting cable!? I see member with 12'' ape with stock cable!?? if I go at 10 I will be safe?? any advise any one!? tips!??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I ordered the 12" ape bars from Biltwell Inc. I'm thinking about installing them myself (1st timer) Any pointers?... I think the hardest part will be re-routing the wires/cables and drilling the hole for the throttle housing..
Any help with this install will be greatly appreicited.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK, I ordered the 12" ape bars from Biltwell Inc. I'm thinking about installing them myself (1st timer) Any pointers?... I think the hardest part will be re-routing the wires/cables and drilling the hole for the throttle housing..
I have changed my bars three times now. best advice for the tall bars is to attach all of your controls before the bars are in place. When I drilled the hole, I wrapped the bar in masking tape, and colored the peg inside the throttle housing with a sharpie to help mark the spot. Then i used a nail set to dent the bars so the drill bit doesn't slip. I have Biltwell bars, and they are pretty thick, take your time drilling. thats all the advice I have, hope it helps.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
I have changed my bars three times now. best advice for the tall bars is to attach all of your controls before the bars are in place. When I drilled the hole, I wrapped the bar in masking tape, and colored the peg inside the throttle housing with a sharpie to help mark the spot. Then i used a nail set to dent the bars so the drill bit doesn't slip. I have Biltwell bars, and they are pretty thick, take your time drilling. thats all the advice I have, hope it helps.
I did something similar when it came to drilling. I used painter's blue tape and pressed the throttle housing against it firmly, moving it up and down as to wear a hole in the tape in the point of contact area. From there I just slowly drilled it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts