Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Need help! Stator grinding?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jasonjetski 
#1 ·
Hey guys so my oil finally showed up and I finished installing my new stator and filled her back up. She started strong, seemed to be charging and I was cheering in the garage but after going on a short ride the stator started making what I can best describe as a grinding noise? It's stopped charging again and I'm not sure where to go from here. It's leaking some oil now too but I'm assuming thats from the old gasket.

#3 ·
To add to what sfair said;

Keep in mind the gasket must be replaced. That's not optional. Every time that cover comes off, it needs a new gasket. Get one from your dealer (or cheapcycleparts.com). Spray it with some silicone spray too before reassembly.

It is essential that these parts are seated and torqued to spec. Upon reinstallation, assuming you don't find any damage, I strongly suggest you get a torque wrench and torque everything to the spec listed in the service manual, if you didn't last time.

#6 ·
Those small bolts will simply NOT come out with red loc-tite. You might as well weld the stator in. Torqued to spec they shouldn't vibrate loose; blue loctite is more than adequate. If you used red loctite your stator is essentially now in there permanently, and they can fail again!

#8 ·
This is a video of the noise my stator made after getting it back from being repaired last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfQJc5sqLh8
I pulled it down myself after shooting the video only to find the 3 stator mounting bolts were about half a turn loose.
Be sure to clean and dry out the mounting bolt holes. If there is oil in there while tightening the bolts.You will have them hydraulic lock and will give you a false tight for a while and then after the oil passes the threads,The bolts will be loose.
If in doubt.Tighten the bolts and then retension them after a break 10minutes,Half hour. Whatever,Just recheck them again before the final fitting of the cover.
Regards Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.