Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, hope you guys had a good Thanksgiving (if you live in Canada cause we just had it)

I've got an issue that's pretty serious to me, I'm no mechanic but I'm taking my bike in for service soon

I was driving on a major highway going 120km, bike was working fine, but I noticed a huge problem when I entered the city and shifted down to 1st.

For some reason now my RPM meter doesn't work, it just stays at 0 and bounces up and down a bit probably due to the vibration of the bike, my motorcycle is noticeably less powerful than it should be (at 5th gear full-throttle it'll just breach 100, it should be capable of 170+). Also, when I idled at stop signs the bike would sometimes completely shut off, and when I got going again with throttle I had to rev it up madly to get it moving.

I don't know what the cause is but something's messing my RPM up, and it's really affecting my bike, advice would be much appreciated before I take it into the shop!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
So, this just up and happened suddenly?

I don't know why the tachometer would cut out. That brings an interesting point home to me: I'm the original owner of my 06 and I simply have never thought about where the tach gets its information from. Wow. I'm surprised that I simply never thought about it. I shall have to look into that now.

As far as the engine with less power than it should, I have a question or two:
1) Is this power-loss-feeling at all speeds or more at higher speeds only?
2) Is it just stumbling or making all sorts of backfires, too?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts