Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a new Metzler 880 installed on the rear at a reputable motorcycle repair shop. Now I have belt noise which I traced to pulley wabble. It seems that the pulley was not reinstalled straight when the tire was changed. Anyone experience this and is it difficult to fix?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The shop may not be at fault.

Some times it just comes that way.

Check out this how to fix
here

The squeak is probably just the belt was left a little loose.

Mine wobbled also until it was replaced.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If the shop installed it wrong, why not bring it back?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wobble

I also had a pulley issue (wobble), went on a ride, (John Flagg Memorial Ride..Google it)..& i mentioned it to someone...took it to another dealer..they kept the bike for two weeks...hub issue...dealer i purchased it from did squat..other dealer fixed it & not a $ charged...guess where i go now !

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm with tiger tom on this one.They may have left the spacer out or put the rubber pads in wrong.The only way to tell is to take the wheel back off and pull the pulley out of the hub.Pads are flat on 1 side and have 2 round tabs on the other.you can tell how they go by looking in the hub and you'll see where the 2 tabs made a mark.They may have not put them all the same way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had the wobble when I got my bike as well. when I installed the new swingarm and tire and disassembled the entire hub cleaned lubed it the huib kind free floats in there if all spacers are in llubed well and torqued properly and I have to wobble. Maybe I got lucky but the hub was kinda stuck when I took it apart. when clean and lubed it sat in the nice and level.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I am taking it back but he is not sure what he did wrong so I'm trying to help by providing additional info to him. I'd rather be riding than have my bike in the shop. I don't want to be taking it back several times to get this back to working like it did before the new tire. I nerer had any issue with belt noise before.
Thanks again for any advice.

CH

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am taking it back but he is not sure what he did wrong so I'm trying to help by providing additional info to him. I'd rather be riding than have my bike in the shop. I don't want to be taking it back several times to get this back to working like it did before the new tire. I nerer had any issue with belt noise before.
Thanks again for any advice.

CH
A wobble is one thing and needs to be fixed. Belt noise is another. The spec. from Kwak requires the belt to be on the tight side which will bring on the noise like a whiring sound and you think a bearing is going bad or something needs oiling. Loosen it slightly and it'll quiet down again.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just curious, was the shop a Kawasaki shop or a general MC shop?

I recently had a new Metzler 880 installed on the rear at a reputable motorcycle repair shop. Now I have belt noise which I traced to pulley wabble. It seems that the pulley was not reinstalled straight when the tire was changed. Anyone experience this and is it difficult to fix?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
there may be a tell tale sign of the spacer missing, the seal on the pulley were the outer spacer goes will get damaged and start to come apart because the hub (walks around without the spacer), you can e mail me if you need anymore info on this problem, [email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just bought a 2010 900 CSE. I read through this post, but I am resurrecting it to keep all of the facts together. The previous owner had a Avon 230 road runner installed. While riding a lower speeds I could hear a squeaking noise. I looked down towards the noise and saw in was the left spacer on the rear wheel. I then noticed that my pulley was wobbling.
I brought it back to my shop. put the bike on a stand so the rear wheel was elevated. I started it and put it in gear.

I watched the rear wheel and put alight on the hub behind the pulley.

Thing I observed were
-the tire and wheel seems pretty true
-the belt is positioned correctly as it does not touch either side of the pulley even though in moves a little with the wobbling.
- the pully is mounted to a separate sort of hub, that is recessed into the wheel. This is where I believe the wobble is coming from because to flush surface next to the recessed wheel is a slight rise in it and is not sitting flush with the wheel.

I decided to tear into it and see what I could find.
I marked the tension brackets and pulled the cotter pin. The axle shaft nut was barely tight which explained the l spacer rotating and squeaking.
I decided to remove the pulley to see if it wasn't mounted correctly. It looked to be installed correctly. I tried to pull on the hub to see if it would separate from the wheel but no luck. Then I took a soft mallet and tapped around the edge and it seemed to level out but the hub did not feel completely solid, almost like it was mounted in rubber? So I made it a level as possible, then put it all back together, with proper torque specs. I thought the tightening of the axle shaft bolt might firm thing up too. I made sure the belt rides in the middle of the pulley.

took the bike for a spin, the spacer is stationary and no squeaks. Rides great with no weird sounds, and belt has no new wear marks. The pulley still wobbles a little so I wonder if this is a built in to the design. I know with chains and sprockets on bikes and bicycles, the hub sprocket purposely has a ;little play in it so the chain has even wear.

Can anyone shed some light on this wobble of the pulley? Or am I missing something? Did I not go in far enough to correct the problem?

any thoughts are welcome, thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I just bought a 2010 900 CSE. I read through this post, but I am resurrecting it to keep all of the facts together. The previous owner had a Avon 230 road runner installed. While riding a lower speeds I could hear a squeaking noise. I looked down towards the noise and saw in was the left spacer on the rear wheel. I then noticed that my pulley was wobbling.
I brought it back to my shop. put the bike on a stand so the rear wheel was elevated. I started it and put it in gear.

I watched the rear wheel and put alight on the hub behind the pulley.

Thing I observed were
-the tire and wheel seems pretty true
-the belt is positioned correctly as it does not touch either side of the pulley even though in moves a little with the wobbling.
- the pully is mounted to a separate sort of hub, that is recessed into the wheel. This is where I believe the wobble is coming from because to flush surface next to the recessed wheel is a slight rise in it and is not sitting flush with the wheel.

I decided to tear into it and see what I could find.
I marked the tension brackets and pulled the cotter pin. The axle shaft nut was barely tight which explained the l spacer rotating and squeaking.
I decided to remove the pulley to see if it wasn't mounted correctly. It looked to be installed correctly. I tried to pull on the hub to see if it would separate from the wheel but no luck. Then I took a soft mallet and tapped around the edge and it seemed to level out but the hub did not feel completely solid, almost like it was mounted in rubber? So I made it a level as possible, then put it all back together, with proper torque specs. I thought the tightening of the axle shaft bolt might firm thing up too. I made sure the belt rides in the middle of the pulley.

took the bike for a spin, the spacer is stationary and no squeaks. Rides great with no weird sounds, and belt has no new wear marks. The pulley still wobbles a little so I wonder if this is a built in to the design. I know with chains and sprockets on bikes and bicycles, the hub sprocket purposely has a ;little play in it so the chain has even wear.

Can anyone shed some light on this wobble of the pulley? Or am I missing something? Did I not go in far enough to correct the problem?

any thoughts are welcome, thank you.
Replace the dampers that are between the wheel and the hub the pulley is mounted to. There are four of them and cost about $20 each. Get a shop manual and you can see there's a snap ring that must come out in order to remove the hub from the wheel. Also, check the condition of the bearing that's in the hub directly behind the snap ring

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Sojouner,
Thanks for your feedback. I am curious why you think the dampeners are bad?My bike has only 5300 miles on it. I find it hard to believe with all of these bikes on the road that no one else has dampener problems but me?
I would hate to go parts replacing only to find out that nothing is wrong with my dampeners.

anyone else?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Headstill..........Outside of going through the effort I had gone through, here's a
"maybe" fix........Disassemble the hub again..trim off about 3 mills on the 'tits' of the couches....reassemble and pre load by torquing down hub using the axle and existing spacers and other spacers if you need to..Likely you will....If you have a method of spinning the wheel in a jig, check the run-out of the pulley with a run-out dial or you can use some other method ....If it is still wobbling you will have to shim the hub where the pulley rides low with the dial....measure just outside of where the lugs bolt down,, and use 1/2 of the run-out measurement...IF run-out on the dial is 0.6mm use 0.3 installed on the LOW side of the pulley..I used aluminium washers...You'll likely have to make them thinner yourself unless you have shim stock the right size...Sorry man....There IS no easy quick fix...It will take some time...

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I had the same issue when my rear tire was replaced. I should have removed the pulley/hub assembly before taking the wheel to the shop. It must have come off at the shop and they installed the rubber bushings incorrectly and when I install the wheel the pulley wobbled. Took apart and reinstalled the bushings correctly. Resolved the wobble.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I had the same issue when my rear tire was replaced. I should have removed the pulley/hub assembly before taking the wheel to the shop. It must have come off at the shop and they installed the rubber bushings incorrectly and when I install the wheel the pulley wobbled. Took apart and reinstalled the bushings correctly. Resolved the wobble.
+1, worth a look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts