Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding last weekend and noticed that the rubber gasket (damper) that surrounds the round speedo faceplate on my 1998 VN 1500e Classic had a gap (Missing piece about 1/4" wide). It would not keep the speedo waterproof. I looked it up in the parts schematic and it showed it being an unbroken rubber ring. Sent off and got a new one........has anyone pulled the speedo face plate and replaced this. It is probably a very easy procedure, but I thought that I would ask first just in case the is some tiny little widget up in there that is easily lost and will render the bike useless if lost. Any help is greatly appreciated. The restoration on my '98 is almost complete and it is almost at the point that it looks and runs like new.....BillG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to get the speedo face gasket i(damper) in place without having to take anything apart...it looks right. I still have a little square hole that does not seem to do anything, however, as Kawasaki put it in there, it must have a purpose. I thought the new gasket (damper) would cover it, but it didn't. The pic is the old damper showing the cut-out.....Thanks....BillG

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just talking out my a$$, but that might be for ventulation (so it doesn't fog up).

·
Registered
360 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts