Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a '99 classic. Previous owners had already done some mods to it. I found the air line to the reed valves blocked and the left side air cleaner is gone. Not sure of any other changes. I found the main jet is a 142 and a 45 pilot when I tore the carb down for a much needed cleaning.
What I can't figure out is if the air cleaner is stock or not.

The filter seems to be molded to the back plate so I don't see how I could change the filter element without replacing the whole thing. It looks pretty dirty and I can't tell if it is a k&n or not.

The boot between the air cleaner and carb is torn in a couple places. I used silicone to seal it up until I figure out what to replace the whole thing with.

The chrome cover that I assume is OEM fits over the filter and crews on with a single screw in the center.

I am guessing I'll need a new rubber boot from Carb to backing plate regardless f what after market air cleaner I choose because of the close clearance to the bottom edge of the fuel tank.

Any help in getting a new cleaner/filter for my bike would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Bueller?

My main goal is to have a high flow filter and then rejet. The bike does have v&h long shots (I'm guessing from comparing mine to pictures). But all the aftermarket air cleaners don't look like they are going to bolt up to my carb. Most show a backing plate with holes for two butterflies. My carb is just one big round opening. So I'm guessing a new air cleaner system is going to include a rubber offset boot like I have now and a new backing plate to mount on the engine, right?

I am leaning toward the hypercharger looks but I need to know that what I order will fit my carb.

HELP!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
OK the ones you see with 2 butterfly's are for fuel injected vulcans. If you rejet with an open air intake and aftermarket pipes you will need 46 pilot and 165 main jets unless you live in the mountains. That looks very similar to the thunder mfg air intake but not exact. Air filter not stock. The stock are white paper. That's a k&n, its red and washable media clear as day.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is my old thunder mfg kit for carbed 1500 classic. You reuse the stock chrome air cleaner cover and rubber carburetor boot. I'm thinking the previous owner used glue or gasket seal to attach the filter to the backplate for a better seal. I would see if you can seperate the filter and if not you can just clean the filter with it still attached to the backplate. Just order a new carb boot and jets.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Looks like a K&N. Just wash it and respray it with a light coating of filter oil and it'll last forever. It has already been rejetted as well if it has a 145 main. Stock is 138.

Be aware that different manufacturers use different numbers on their jets.Thus, a Keihin 145 main =134 Dynojet and a 125 Mikuni. A 145 is plenty big enough, as most tuning guys recommend jumping one full size ( 2 number) for each mod- air, fuel, pipes. So, you'd be going stock 138 to pipes (1 to 140) plus air (plus 1 to 142) plus fuel (plus one to 144). You can go bigger than that, and lots of guys do, but you'd just be wasting gas. I've been running a 140 Dynojet in mine, which is a Keihin equivalent of 152, for 9 years. If the PO used a Dynojet kit, you may want to bump it up to a 150 or so. Small changes make a big difference in fuel jets.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Bottom line, no one can tell you the correct size jets to use. It all entirely depends on the air/fuel mix ratio for your particular bike, your altitude and humidity, the mods done (diameter of pipes, two into one or dual exhaust), the air flow capacity of your filter system, and so on. You just have to experiment.

Here's some really good info.

http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_jet_kit.htm

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looking at your picture I can see how the filter goes over the backplate. I think he used the wrong filter. Mine is the same diameter on both sides and fits in the groove in the backplate.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pat has a theory on small changes in jet sizes, he could be right in his case. I had my bike dyno tuned like others and I let the tuner make the changes, that's where my recommendation of a 165 come from. It made 80torque and 60hp at sea level with thunder mfg intake and longshot exhaust (quiet baffles installed)and it only went slightly rich in the higher revs which the tech said you want for max power. I don't know if a hypercharger or other intakes let in less air. Pat is also at high elevation and uses an aftermarket needle if I recall. The consensus on vroc and here is 165 main. I have only seen Afr charts with 162-170 mains. Until I see one with a lower main I would be weary but hey its your bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a little more info

here is some sort of insignia stamped into the back plate...

...and a better picture of how the filter is fixed to the plate...

I double checked the main jet. It is a Keihin 142. I had a few oem equivalent jets from JetsRUs and installed a 144. It ran pretty well except when starting to move it took the bike a second to get the rpms up from idle before it wanted to pull so I just backed out the mix screw from 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 turns. I'll try that setting out next time I ride.

I think I'll keep this filter if it can be cleaned. The way it uses the stock cover, it should allow a good amount of free flowing air. I still would like to know what make it is though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think that's a long discontinued intake. Back in the late 90's there were more intake options for classics, I remember seeing names on vroc I never heard of and seeing all the rust on it...it looks old. Also i dont think its been rejetted. A 45 pilot is stock and a keihin 142 is factory option stock. http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/27040/1999/VN1500-E2 see it shows 142 as optional based on where in the world the bike is sold. I doubt previous owner would take out a 138 to replace with a 142. Probably didn't know he had to rejet and said damn, this bike runs like crap, and decided to sell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to order a few jets around 155-165 just to see how it performs.

Also, I think I will just take the plunge on the hypercharger and move on. Then I'll know I have the air delivery it needs to support the bigger jets.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I Found It!

I thought I had seen that insignia before.

After much searching I came across it. Arlen Ness. They are still making similar units for HD. Came across it by accident on Ebay. Now I know.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
You can get a hyper charger if you like the look, but they aren't really a hyper charger in that the back side is open and they don't really ram air any more than any other aftermarket air kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
not-so-hyper-charger

So they are just a fancy looking air cleaner? Hmm.

Well then, I'm going to use the parts I have and fab up a new air cleaner using a K&N round filter. Their website allows you to search for a filter by dimensions. So I'll do my own version of a Coyote mod.

That way I can save enough money to get one of those "cool cup holders".:cool:

I've got a new boot coming to replace the cracking one in the pictures. The rest I will just piece together then go forward with jetting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts