Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling my hair out..:confused:..trying to finalize the settings on the EJK Gen3 to eliminate the frustrating decel popping. it is consistent on all decel from 2nd thru 4th gear, with occasional 5th coming into mix.

Here's the setup:
*2011 Voyager noABS
*V&H Twin Slashes
*K&N air filter
*EJK
*AIS spot at 11o'clock on dogbowl has been plugged (I just plugged the hole itself in the dogbowl; did not plug this and the hose connected behind. Seems if I plug the spot in the dogbowl, leave the hose connected behind it, all should be blocked)
*Replaced the exhaust seal gaskets on both sides (where slip-ons connect to header pipes)
*Have checked the acorn nuts at the header gasket. Have not replaced this gasket yet or added washers under the acorn nuts

I have tried so many settings; nothing seems to work. As i mentioned...popping is consistent no matter what i set.

Started with base factory settings of:
G 2.5
Y 3.5
R 1.5
GB 6
YB 2.5
RB 3.5

adjusted the GB from here up and down (all the way to 8 and down to .5); no change at all.

then started to play with other settings,
ran G to 3, 3.5 and up to 4
ran Y to 4 then back down to 2.5
left R pretty much alone.
GB was run from 8 down to .5
YB and RB a notch or 2 moves each way just checking...

I do notice if I run 89octane it does help some with the popping, but it is still there. Have not tried 93octane yet. This is the opposite of what most other are reporting...

I know there is not much that can be done via online, but any thoughts on what else to check or settings for same setup will be helpful.

I'm beginning to think the EJK may be flashed for a different model bike. Plans to call Dobeck this week sometime to check on that.

thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I gave you my settings. These bikes will pop a small amou t no matter what. Mine has been minmized so much that it does not happen or when it does it is a small muffled pop at 2100 rpm on decel at zero throttle.

GB 6
YB 3
RB 4

G 2.5
Y 2
R 1

I pulled 82 hp and 102 ft. Lbs torq on the dyno with those settings. Popping minimal and tolerable. I have a Big Air Kit now. Bike is running cooler too. I have not messed witht the settings any more. My AFR readings were on the money.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried your settings hockeynut52 right after I messed around with adjusting the default settings... but I am still getting severe popping in 2nd and 3rd and more than I'd like in 4th and 5th.especially after pipes heat up. As I mentioned I'm beginning to think my unit is core flashed for a different model if that is possible. I tried a few other user's settings too that I found on hereafter doing some searching. Then went back to defaultscand tried to play/tweak some more.

Has me stumped. Don't think I have any additional exhaust leaks, but will keep investigating and tweaking

·
Registered
636 Posts
With that amount of popping throughout the gears, I'd suspect you have an air leak somewhere.

·
Registered
281 Posts
With that amount of popping throughout the gears, I'd suspect you have an air leak somewhere.
I agree with Peg. Sounds like an air leak. Did you do the Throttlebody gasket from Thunder Mfg.? Documented leaks from there that can cause popping. Also tighten down the acorn nuts at the head, they can loosen during heating cycles. I believe peg is correct because in 2nd gear the injectors do not shut off, I never get a single pop in 2nd. Also when shifting I make sure the throttle is 100% closed to 0 throttle position. I doubt Dobeck sent you the wrong unit. If it was not because these things are write protected, I would flash it myself for you. I still have the docking station and the Hex files. I truly believe your issues lie within the exhaust and unwanted extra air entering. Also 87 octane significantly reduced my popping. Its more muffled now and does not bother me when it happens on occassion.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not done the Throttlebody gasket from Thunder Mfg yet. As mentioned, I did check the acorn nuts. will order the Throttlebody gasket ; can't hurt to have it on even if it winds up not being the culprit. And will give me a little more amateur wrench time on this machine.

Thanks gentlemen for the responses...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have not done the Throttlebody gasket from Thunder Mfg yet. As mentioned, I did check the acorn nuts. will order the Throttlebody gasket ; can't hurt to have it on even if it winds up not being the culprit. And will give me a little more amateur wrench time on this machine.

Thanks gentlemen for the responses...
The gasket is simple to do, just have to make sure the throttle body O Rings dont get pinched, and while in there, I would plug the AIS hose directly instead of in the dogbowl. It is probably blocked sufficiently, but you cant be too careful. It also eliminates the possibility your plug vibrates loose and gets sucked into the intake. I wish you luck, I know how you feel when the bike is not right and pissing you off. Hang in there and you will get her dialed in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts