Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 900 custom SE I'm looking to get some more power out of it. So far this is what I've done.

Tornadoe air intake
fuggin mayhem pipes
powercommander 5

is their anything else I can do to get more power out of it? I know it's not a sport bike by any means, but it just doesn't pull all that hard through any gears. Or am I better off just buying a used sport bike for a second bike for the days I have the need for speed.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Get the sport bike. what it costs for "power extras" is around the cost of a used sport bike, my cruiser is for we, the other is for me ....

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/Bikes I currently have/

Other than chrome on the bike i have not altered the power train at all, only thing i am going to change there is the aircleaner cover. The 650 has 85 hp and a 12.500 red line ..
enough get up and go to clear the cobwebs. Cheers Maurice

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never rode a sport bike should I go big? I was thinking like a 1000cc should be enough or would you think it's way to much to start on?

·
Registered
209 Posts
1000cc or go bigger, well the 600 cc sport bikes will do 165 + MPH with 0-60 in the 3 second area.

You might want to consider something like the Kawasaki 650; its still a 130 MPH bike, and 12 quarter's with a nice romp when you twist the wick. It will accelerate with a Corvette. Also the Sv 650 from Suzuki is good; now its called a Gladius I think.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Na, i sold my 08 Bandit 1250 for my cruiser, just more comfortable for long range trips for both me and my girl, I had a 650 and 600 sport before that, top speed is still around 135 mph, nice and light to flick around, cheap on insurance, cheap to buy,

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/Bikes that i have had in the past/

I like to tour a bit, hence the luggage on most, going to the Grand Canyon on my 1250 2 years ago with a friend who had a 650 V star cruiser, 10000 kms in 14 days, convinced me that the mobile couch was the way to travel.

See what is out there in the used market that appeals to you, everybody has different tastes, you will know what you want when you see it ,,,, I do like watercooled / fuel injected bikes as a preference, easy starting in cold temps, less hp loss in summer.
Maurice

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking at the super and turbo charged hayabusa's man do they look fun. Just watching the videos on YouTube, they crack the throttle and it's like snapping your fingers and the speedo is pegged out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you're gonna go big then go all the way to the 1800+ cc's. But keep in mind that even then you're still riding a cruiser. A bigger cruiser will pull harder and you will feel the torque stronger and will handle better on highway speeds but again it still a cruiser. Depending on your weight your 900 should keep up with any large stock cruiser (keep up, not beat them) any day so if you have a need for speed then a sport bike will do the trick. I have a need for speed too so saving for at least a 600cc super sport bike. I've riden larger bikes like the Honda VTX 1800 and the Suzuki M109R and again you feel the extra power and torque but they're still cruisers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yea, the power does kind of get exlposive, and the weight of R1, CBR 1000, etc is low, like 440 - 450 wet. They do fly, SR71 like.:D

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dude if you have never ridden a sport bike and you are talking about starting with a 1000? I have a feeling the 900 is your first bike period then. Start out on a 600. They are plenty fast. I have talked to experienced riders and say that 1000's are crazy. You have a tough time keeping the front end down. And then you are talking bout turbo Busa's.... those things are insane stock. thats almost a 1400cc. Just cuz you don't think the 900 is fast enough, thats cuz it ain't geared for speed. My buddy had a early 2000's Yamaha R6 and that thing was fast. Like shiloh said 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. I had his up to 60 before the end of the block from his driveway, and the end of the block was only two houses away. Plenty fast. Find someone willing to let you ride their 600. You will be satisfied. Specially if you keep your 900. Going back and forth between the two will keep you thinking the 900 is a sloth. When i first got my 900 I had a vulcan 750. Which is way quicker then the 900. When I would go back and forth between the two the 750 was my sportbike.
And if you stay in the kawi family there are two 600's. They have a ZX-6R and the 650r. the ZX is a 4 cylinder and the 650 is a twin. The zx is the faster of the two.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dude,........... purge your system once and for all and get a ZX-14.
It will either kill you or cure you...............

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dude,........... purge your system once and for all and get a ZX-14.
It will either kill you or cure you...............
Just don't take anyone with you if your gonna kill yourself.;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bikes and Airplanes

Motorcycles and airplanes have a number of things in common.

They both are dangerous and are easily fatal in an accident.

They both require maintenance be maintained at a very high level for safety.

And they both require a skill set suitable for the individual machine in question.

You wouldn't think of passing your written test and a solo in a Cessna, then proceed to attempt fly an F-22 Raptor for your second flight. The same is true with motorcycles,

One model bike that you might want to look into is the Suzuki Katana which was discontinued a few years ago. It was available as a 600 cc and a 750 cc, air/oil cooled four and with enough power to do 125 or so, and a very reasonable (not a lot of money now) price, and a fairly upright riding position. If you find something like these that is low mileage, you could ride it for 6 months, a year and sell it without any real cost. Also consider a used SV 650 since there must be thousands sold every year, or the Suzuki GSX-F 650 which replaced the Katana (a inline four). Yamaha and Kawasaki also have similar designs that compete with the above.

Bikes that you might want to pause and think twice before acquiring are the full out sport bikes such as the Honda CBR's Kawasaki Zx's, Suzuki GSXR's and Yamaha YZF's. They all have razor sharp handling and explosive power bands at very high RPM (14000 to 16000 redlines). And the 600 cc's lap only a few seconds slower than the 1000 cc bikes at courses like Laguna Seca. The 600's probably get through the corkscrew faster than the liter bikes.

These are the fighter planes of the cycle world. The F-16 and F-22 of the bike world so to speak.

Best luck and keep the rubber side down. :)

Andy

·
Registered
657 Posts
My coworker took the MSC and went directly to the Harley dealer and bought a Street Glide which is both a heavy bike and has a 1500cc engine on it. He's done well with it the 22 months he's had it, but I would call him the exception to the rule of normalcy. He's got over $30K sunk in it and rides a little less than half of what I ride (40 degrees is just too cold to ride!!!). He does plan to ride to Sturgess in Aug and also plans to dump his helmet once he clears the Calif state line. Not too smart for someone who works in a Level I Trauma Center...
I started with a 650 Suzuki Burgman and moved to the Vulcan 900. I do plan to get another bike (while keeping the 900) eventually with a bit more juice, but overall the 900 has plenty of power. I'm 6' @ 235.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Motorcycles and airplanes have a number of things in common.

They both are dangerous and are easily fatal in an accident.

They both require maintenance be maintained at a very high level for safety.

And they both require a skill set suitable for the individual machine in question.
Well put, Shiloh.

I'm also with Jace. I kinda wonder if you're an experienced rider too.

My suggestion is get some riding experience on the 900 and go to a bigger cc Cruiser. Those big crotch rockets are not for inexperienced riders and i'm concerned you'll just end up wrapping yourself around a telephone pole or something.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The vn900 is my first bike, picked it up in the spring. I'm not worried about doing 200mph, I just want a bike when you crack the throttle open it gets up and goes. Not just ever so slowly climbs in speed. Yes I'll be the first one to say I don't have much riding experience 5k miles on bike now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah if you want launch a ZX-6r would do the trick. Like you said before try a 600 out first. Hell even at your size a 250 Ninja would do the trick... maybe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts