Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm working on a 2007 vulcan 900. When you turn the ignition on there's a big voltage draw on the battery. Ign off it sits around 12v, turn on it drops to around 6v. I've ruled out a lot so far you can see the wiring screen shot - everything besides the regulator / alternator on the brown wire to the relay box. I bypassed the ignition switch and pulled all the fuses and it still has the drop. So later today when isolate that part of the circuit i'll post an update.

Thanks for reading, any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is a huge drop if the battery is OK. A 6 volt drop would produce enough current to possibly smoke some wiring (depending on specifics...).
Before looking at much else, I would suggest a load test on the battery. They can sometimes develop a high internal resistance. This means that under no or very light load (current) they will produce 12-13 volts but, if a significant load is placed on the battery, the voltage will drop significantly. Corroded (high resistance) terminal connections can also produce the same symptoms.

On two occasions, was "bitten" by terminal problems on my V2K. Running along fine, stopped for a break, then no crank a few minutes later. Pulled the battery wires, cleaned, re-tightened, and on my way.

Woody

1 - 3 of 3 Posts