Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey's Guys I am starting to shop for some Saddlebags and a Windshield for my 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic.

Here is what I am looking for.

1. What kind of Saddlebags are you using?
2. What kind of Windshield are you using?

Any and all experience's you may of had with cheaper products.

1. Links to affordable sites with either Saddlebags, or Windshields.

Where did you guys buy yours? I am a serious buyer and really need both. I do not want to pay 400+ for the OEM Vulcan Windshield(I really like it) but it's simply too much.

PVC leather for saddlebags YES or NO?

Links, advice, what your using, pics, any and all help would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Memphis Shades and National Cycle both make good quality windshields that are less expensive than OEM. When I had my 900, I had a Memphis Shades "Fats" windshield and lowers, and I was very happy with that.

With saddlebags, you get what you pay for. I used Edge Leather Model 102 bags mounted on Easy Brackets. Not cheap, but excellent quality. I wouldn't recommend any cheap bags, you'll just end up replacing them next spring.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Memphis Shades and National Cycle both make good quality windshields that are less expensive than OEM. When I had my 900, I had a Memphis Shades "Fats" windshield and lowers, and I was very happy with that.

With saddlebags, you get what you pay for. I used Edge Leather Model 102 bags mounted on Easy Brackets. Not cheap, but excellent quality. I wouldn't recommend any cheap bags, you'll just end up replacing them next spring.

I have been looking at a Memphis Shades Fats. Do you know of a place to get one that is affordable or a link to a good company. I of course did a google search, checked ebay, amazon, and seems as if everyone carries em. Looks like you have or had the 19". Would you of considered going with the 15" or 17"?

I considered that type to, does it actually block the wind or bugs from your face on the highway at 65 for a few hundred miles?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have been seeing the ones on ebay for 50-60 dollars, handlebar mounted windshield that seems extremely easy to install and remove. But I have read and heard from other forum members that they look pretty tiny.

I do not plan on keeping the windshield on my bike for around town. But when I go on the occasional out of town trip, I don't want to fight the wind, or eat too many bugs. So I want something that looks good, is affordable, and can be removed and reinstalled semi easily. ;)

I have never ridden a bike with a windshield but I am 44 years old and just decided comfort over style any day of the week.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does this mount to the handlebars/fork or is there mounting hardware needed? How much protection does it offer? I really like the look of this compared to the MS Fats. And at half the total price of the MS Batwing seems a bit for feasable.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this mount to the handlebars/fork or is there mounting hardware needed? How much protection does it offer? I really like the look of this compared to the MS Fats. And at half the total price of the MS Batwing seems a bit for feasable.

I opened the link he supplied and clicked on the picture. That has a sort of intruction manual on how to connect it. Looks like from the pdf that it connects to the handlebars and forks.

http://slipstreamer.com/1page_SS-20_SS-28.pdf

·
Registered
450 Posts
I opened the link he supplied and clicked on the picture. That has a sort of intruction manual on how to connect it. Looks like from the pdf that it connects to the handlebars and forks.

http://slipstreamer.com/1page_SS-20_SS-28.pdf
Yeah I noticed that after I posted. I also noticed though that it says this windshield doesn not fit the 900's. So I'm curious how they got mounted? Just a larger bracket?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I noticed that after I posted. I also noticed though that it says this windshield doesn not fit the 900's. So I'm curious how they got mounted? Just a larger bracket?
Ahh, I didn't catch that one. Often I will be doing a search for products on Amazon and I will verify that it fits my Vulcan 900 and I get the same thing. This product will not fit the Vulcan 900 Classic. Frustrating. ;)

And he has a custom, I own a classic. Do you own a classic too?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the slipstreamer ss-32 and it works great, no buffeting for me or my wife.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ahh, I didn't catch that one. Often I will be doing a search for products on Amazon and I will verify that it fits my Vulcan 900 and I get the same thing. This product will not fit the Vulcan 900 Classic. Frustrating. ;)

And he has a custom, I own a classic. Do you own a classic too?
Yeah I have a classic. Amazon says it fits the custom though...maybe just a different sized clamp? Like the 1-1/4" instead of the 1"?

How big are the classic handlebars?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the slipstreamer ss-32 and it works great, no buffeting for me or my wife.

There are a lot of windshield's that fit the custom, that will not fit the classic. At least from the description they say that. I have never owned a windshield so I truthfully wouldn't know.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I mounted a Memphis Fats 21"--the largest one they have, on my '06 Classic, along with the quick-disconnect shield mount. I picked the tall shield because I am tall, at 6'2" and I sit tall in the saddle. Seems to work well.

I got a set of LeatherLyke bags for my wife's '09 LT. At $500.00 they weren't cheap, but they were easy to mount using the existing hardware on the bike, and they are solid, locking, and WATERPROOF. They don't exactly look like classic leather saddlebags, but we went with function over form. For my '06 Classic, I just mounted up the OEM bags left over from my wife's LT! That made it cheap and easy. I'd like to put a set of hard bags on mine, but having just moved from Idaho to Alaska and all the associated costs of moving into a new house and all, I don't think it's at the top of my bucket list yet.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mounted a Memphis Fats 21"--the largest one they have, on my '06 Classic, along with the quick-disconnect shield mount. I picked the tall shield because I am tall, at 6'2" and I sit tall in the saddle. Seems to work well.

I got a set of LeatherLyke bags for my wife's '09 LT. At $500.00 they weren't cheap, but they were easy to mount using the existing hardware on the bike, and they are solid, locking, and WATERPROOF. They don't exactly look like classic leather saddlebags, but we went with function over form. For my '06 Classic, I just mounted up the OEM bags left over from my wife's LT! That made it cheap and easy. I'd like to put a set of hard bags on mine, but having just moved from Idaho to Alaska and all the associated costs of moving into a new house and all, I don't think it's at the top of my bucket list yet.
Do you remember where you bought your Memphis Fats from? I'm 6 foot. I was thinking 17".

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am leaning towards the Memphis Fats right now, between 17 and 21" in this thread there are some high quality pics of bikes that have the Memphis Fats windshields. I like it.

Now my biggest issue right now is the Memphis Shades with Hardware is around 300, and the OEM is 400.

I was hoping to spend around 200 tops. OUCH I like the OEM hardware a little bit better. Any opinions on price and differences between OEM and Memphis Shades.

Here is the link to the thread with the High Quality pics.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/123394-900-classic-w-memphis-fats.html#post2184517

·
Registered
40 Posts
the slipstreamer ss-32 may not fit the classic, i am not sure it will clear the driving lights on the classic.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey guys what about this windshield?

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/national-cycle-heavy-duty-windshield-wide-frame-touring-various-motorcycles/part/NC-N2210?action=fitment

Or this one its the right height:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/national-cycle-dakota-45mm-windshield-various-motorcycle-models/part/NC-N2301
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/heavy-duty-narrow-and-dakota-45mm-mount-kit-900-vulcan-800-intruder-volusia-6509501100-v-star/part/NC-KIT-JG?source=igodigital

Its difficult to shop for a windshield you always have to shop for the darn kit to install it. No matter what I'm looking at 250.

The price is about 75 dollars cheaper than the Memphis Shades Fats. However the install kit is nowhere near as convenient as the Memphis Shades is. So to remove the National Cycles windshield it would be a royal pain in the ARSE vs the Memphis. :(

Does this one look like it's equivalent to the Memphis Shades Fats 19"?

·
Registered
600 Posts
17" Memphis Fats w/ trigger lock and Saddleman Cruise n slants x jumbo with Easy Brackets from Phat Performance bought in 2008 prices now may differ..........
<

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
17" Memphis Fats w/ trigger lock and Saddleman Cruise n slants x jumbo with Easy Brackets from Phat Performance bought in 2008 prices now may differ..........
<

Nice looking bike, Yeah I measured about a inch above the headlight and it seems as if the 17" would be perfect for me. I am 6 foot tall. I could even go with the 19" if I sat up really straight.

Looks like the prices for the gear and windshield is 325-350 range that is the Memphis Fats.

And the OEM is 400.

SPENDY

1 - 20 of 161 Posts