Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2010 Voyager with 25K on it. Most KM done on a dyno machine as my bike was a tester for emission for the government. My problem is that the handle bar vibrates when driving. Had tire pressure adjusted, steering bearing inspected, front wheel balanced, changed front tire. Mechanic says good to go. But i still feel the vibration after a road test. He says it's normal and I should buy new anti-vibration grips. Any advice...?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
What brand of front tire did you buy? I have read where some folks have issues with certain brands. If I recall, some have gone back to the stock Bridgestone. What type of balancing was done? You might consider taking it to a different shop. I have a 2013 Voyager and do not have any vibration. I run about 35 psi in my front tire. That's all I have. Hopefully others will chime in soon.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
What do you mean by vibration? Is it a side to side movement to the bars. Is it an up and down movement? You will get a vibration from engine pulses, thats why the bars are rubber mounted to the tree too help eliminate how much you feel n your hands. The 2000-3000 rpm range is where I feel this the most on my 2012 Voyager.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glenn

Thanks for the info. I had originally a Bridgestone tire on the bike. After ensuring that all front end parts were good, I had a Metzller ME888 installed. The mechanic set the pressure at 36psi. I do not know what type of balancing was done. I know it was done as I seen him doing it in the shop. The vibration is still there. I have the original hard handle still installed on the bike. I find that perhaps I am starting to feel that I need the soft padded ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick

I appreciate your input. I feel an up\down vibration as if the tire is rolling on bumps. And yes I do think I feel the engine pulse. Today I had it checked because I was advised that perhaps the vibration is from the engine mounts. All seems OK. However I still feel it vibrates. When I put the bike on cruise, it seems to worsen...!

I only have had the bike 1 month now, but getting discourage, as I find it difficult to ride and my hands and wrist are getting numb. It has the original hand grips, should I consider softer ones before I get mad and trade it in...?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hmm. This may be a long shot but perhaps there is a way to replace the rubber washers that the bars are mounted to with something thicker or maybe softer?

Another thing that might help a little is using a slightly lighter weight fork oil. That will make the ride a little more plush on bumps but don't know much it would effect overall vibration.

Just for comparison may I ask what bike you had before your Vulcan?

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Check the engine rubber mounts make sure they are still good, then try new grips with weighted ends. You can also put an iron rods inserted into each side of the handlebar (glued in). You will not get all the vibration out as it is the nature of the engine, but it can be tamed. I only notice it when I am lugging the engine some.

Changing the handlebar riser rubber even adding rubber washers usually makes it worse as you change the dynamics of the way they are designed to work.

Even the way you have the bar height adjusted can contribute to vibration.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Glenn

Thanks for the info. I had originally a Bridgestone tire on the bike. After ensuring that all front end parts were good, I had a Metzller ME888 installed. The mechanic set the pressure at 36psi. I do not know what type of balancing was done. I know it was done as I seen him doing it in the shop. The vibration is still there. I have the original hard handle still installed on the bike. I find that perhaps I am starting to feel that I need the soft padded ones.
Think tire pressure little high,run 32 up front,on my 2nd set of oem Bridgestones w kury grips,nice and thick and soft,No vibrations,Hell my mirrors barely move,jmo:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Forgot to add above:

When I got this Voyager, I started using the balance beads in the tires and no weights. As your tire wears the balance changes. Since I started the bead use, I have never felt an unbalance in the tires. Now I use the beads in all my scoot tires.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Matt7even

I had a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT.
I had a 900 as well and there was noticeably more vibration in the bars than on my 1700. Which makes me think your issue is abnormal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well being new to the 1700 Voyager family, and still learning about the features and the handling of the bike I learned a valuable lesson and as well a lesson in my dealer trust.

Having struggled with the vibration of my bike for the past month or so, having spent over $750:00 dollars on service checks, new front tire, new this, and new that, and having put my trust in my dealer as I was not very knowledgeable with full size bikes, I have found the vibration problem with my bike (myself). All it was is that the rear shocks were completely empty of any air and the suspension was not doing it's job properly giving me a vibration sensation at speed above 90km or so.

When I expressed my dis-pleasure to my dealer, I was told that the rear shocks had nothing to do with this, but trust me, it does.

So now I have new Kuryakyn Kinetic Grips, new front tire, new oil in my front forks, fresh air in my rear shocks, and the ride is smooth.

Thanks to all for your advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow. That's awesome. I would have never guessed rear shocks would have anything to do with your problem. How did you come to that idea ??? Interested to know the answer.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Well being new to the 1700 Voyager family, and still learning about the features and the handling of the bike I learned a valuable lesson and as well a lesson in my dealer trust.

Having struggled with the vibration of my bike for the past month or so, having spent over $750:00 dollars on service checks, new front tire, new this, and new that, and having put my trust in my dealer as I was not very knowledgeable with full size bikes, I have found the vibration problem with my bike (myself). All it was is that the rear shocks were completely empty of any air and the suspension was not doing it's job properly giving me a vibration sensation at speed above 90km or so.

When I expressed my dis-pleasure to my dealer, I was told that the rear shocks had nothing to do with this, but trust me, it does.

So now I have new Kuryakyn Kinetic Grips, new front tire, new oil in my front forks, fresh air in my rear shocks, and the ride is smooth.

Thanks to all for your advice.
Glad to hear ya got er figured out,I run 20lbs in shocks,kury grips are great,b safe:wink2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts