Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 09 kawasaki 2000 Classic LT which I enjoy riding on long trips, so my question is which exhaust system would be the best for my ride 2 into 1 or 2 into 2 and would I need to purchase a fuel monitor for the up grade.:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have Vance and Hines Powershots on my bike. They're a 2 into 2 with a crossover pipe in the middle. They have the benefit of only being loud when you want them to be, so cruising around and rolling down the highway they're mellow, but, if you get on it, bark nicely. If you're not replacing the intake with something higher flow, no need for a fuel controller, imho.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Ophidia is correct.

If you have aftermarket pipes AND air intake, you need a fuel processor to keep everything lined up.

As to what pipes, you didn't realize clarify what your looking for.

You want straight up mpg? Stick with stock.

Pipes that make lots of noise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I always though that by up grading it was to improve the performance and let the engine breath easier.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Thanks, I always though that by up grading it was to improve the performance and let the engine breath easier.
Remember, there is an intake and an output to the engine.

New pipes would increase how much air (exhaust) the engine could push out.. but with stock intake, your still sucking in the same amount of air as before.

Soo, nothing really changes. Well..maybe not as much back pressure.

now having said that, you SHOULD put on a nice aftermarket air intake, pipes, and a fuel processor. You WILL notice a difference. It really opens that engine up.

But, it's not cheap to do all three.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Generally speaking, I second the V&H Powershot recommendation and would describe the result on my bike exactly as ophidia did.

That said, for long distance crusing staying with the stock pipes just might be the ticket as every aftermarket pipe I've heard is quite a bit louder than stock (and, as mentioned, some aftermarket louder than others). That added noise wears on you after a while.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Does anyone have dyno sheets identifying power gains (or losses) with pipes only, pipes with fuel management, and pipes with fuel management & an intake kit? This could help those of up that are planning to do these mods one at a time.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Does anyone have dyno sheets identifying power gains (or losses) with pipes only, pipes with fuel management, and pipes with fuel management & an intake kit? This could help those of up that are planning to do these mods one at a time.
Generally there is very little gain for one or two and a lot of gain for all three. Grab a straw. Breathe in through the straw, and out without the straw. That's stock intake and aftermarket exhaust. Reverse it, breathe in normally and out through the straw. That's aftermarket intake, stock exhaust. Same amount of air in your lungs in a given amount of time because of the restrictions.

Thankfully, you don't run on gasoline, but your bike does. So, even if you let the bike breathe, it still won't do any better because ultimately, fuel makes the power. No extra fuel to match all that extra air, you'll actually LOSE power, hence the need for the fuel processor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went with the Hard Krome 3" straights...("Double D's") and simply love them. They're mellow as hell, with a great bass note until about 3/4 throttle...and then they will set off car alarms. lol. All of my HD riding friends rave about how my bike sounds, wishing theirs sounded like it. lmao.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts